PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Re: Gamer Points!!!

Guys,

Don't you think that focusing on gamerpoints ans bragging rights for achievements... takes away from the game experience.

These companies, like square, ubisoft etc, spend so much time developing stories, making us feel for characters etc. I'm sure they would like gamers to appreciate what they've done, or strived to do - not just play a game for no other reason than to get a few points over on their friends.

I think sony made a wise move in not introducing a game-point competition style system. It takes away from the individual enjoying the game experience for what it is. Skipping stories and running about willy-nilly for a few points is NOT the way games should be played.

Anybody agree?
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Agreed mate. It really spoils games and makes a sense of urgency for you to want to rush through the game, and like you say that isn't what developers want. I am glad Sony didn't implement this feature at the start, and I don't mind a hall of fame thing coming along with HOME, I'm glad they only did that much, becaause introducing a community to gamer points at such a stage would probably end in disaster. And yes, it does add replay value but for all the wrong reasons.. If a game is worthy of a replay (like Ratchet & Clank) then that shows the dev has gone to the trouble of making weapons and health upgradeable so you can get everything to the maximum nanotech/version, not because you want a few extra points and are bored out of your skull!
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

Precisely, a good game will make you WANT to play it again...

Not HAVE to just to get a few points.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

Precisely, a good game will make you WANT to play it again...

Not HAVE to just to get a few points.

I second that. Granted, points might give you a reason to finish a game in its entirety, but I dont ever buy a 360 game based on the achievement points it gives! A game has to be fun first and foremost.

Points are pointless! They give you nothing other than possibly some sort of bragging rights amongst your mates.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

I just dont see the obsession with them... i had a 360 with an 11600 GS and just thought what good is it? Why do so many people whore over it? You can put it on your CV, it has no use to you in real life.

CV application- 4-A levels, 7 A* GCSE, 24670 GS, 1250 on Gears of War,.......
SOLD you got the job

*Not my CV or grades :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

The 360s Gamer Score is the worst thing to happen to gaming in a long time, but the Achievements are the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

Guys,

Don't you think that focusing on gamerpoints ans bragging rights for achievements... takes away from the game experience.

It takes away from the individual enjoying the game experience for what it is. Skipping stories and running about willy-nilly for a few points is NOT the way games should be played.

Anybody agree?

A little bit yes, but mainly no. I'm not the sort to go rushing through a game anyway, but I find the Achievements adds to my enjoyment of a game. At the moment, if there's a 360 version and a PS3 version of the same game, I'll get the 360 one every time for that reason.

Let me give you some examples of how, for me, Achievements add to the game.

First, an example of how Achievements can actually prevent you skipping stories and running about willy-nilly - the Tomb Raider games. Sure, you could leg it through each level and finish the game, but if you want the Achievements you have to take your time, and examine each area as you go in order to find the hidden artifacts and relics. You might spot one or two if you just played through quick, but you'd never get all of them. My missus and I spent a good half an hour in one section just because we were trying to figure out how to get one relic - believe me, we totally appreciated the time the designers spent on setting it up!

Now, here's how they help you get more from a game: Bioshock. You can, if you fancy, take photos of the enemies to "research" them. You don't have to, it makes them a bit easier to defeat, but it's not necessary. As soon as I realised there were achievements for fully researching each enemy, I stopped running into a room and shooting everything in sight - I'd work out how to get the best photos without getting killed (you can't take photos and shoot guns at the same time). It changed the way I played the game.

Some games give you Achievements for killing enemies in particular ways - like x number of melee kills, so rather than shooting everyone you've got to learn how to be good at hand-to-hand. Again, this makes you change the way you would have otherwise played the game, and makes sure you enjoy more of the game the way it was meant to be played.

I could go on, but to sum up - if anything, I think Achievements give you goals which you would otherwise not have, outside of a game's main plot, and this helps you enjoy, and get more from, the game than just finishing it without them. You've got something to aim for - to achieve - other than just finishing the game.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Achievements I like, though gamerscore I feel is all about who spends the most time on their console.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

achievements rock but the gamerscore is a bit pointless. really hope we get trophies but i'm not worried if they miss the score part out
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 24 (811 Views)
0 Kudos

I do think gamer points would be a good thing to do. Everybody's talking about how much (G) they have on XBox Live and people are complaining that instead of the levelling system they should have points.

For Example

Bronze Trophy = 200 gamer points

Silver  Trophy = 500 gamer points

Gold Trophy = 1000 gamer points

Platinum Trophy = 2000 gamer points.

I really want PSN to put this idea into a system update so everyoe can compete. Please reply if you think this is a good idea

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 24 (312 Views)
0 Kudos