25 Jun 2011

Playstation Staff

HDMI to DVI black screen (pc monitor)

6 Replies 3,020 Views Created 25-06-2011

HI so I have a pc monitor which can use 1080p. I have my hdmi cable going from my ps3 to my dvi in my pc screen. I change the source to dvi and yet i get a black screen. I've done stuff like try and change the settings by holding the button and waiting for 2 beeps but no luck. The cable is brand new and very good since i pluged my brothers 360 into my screen (with the same hdmi cable) and it came up straight away. Please can I get some help, I've watched so many video's and asked so many people and what i've done should 100% work which the 360 working proves. I think there must be something wrong with the ps3 because im out of ideas. thanks for reading.

help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (3,020 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: HDMI to DVI black screen (pc monitor)

Also I cannot change the settings obviously because there is nothing on the screen.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (3,017 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Hi

Just to clarify how you are connecting. When you say HDMI to DVI are you using a HDMI Male to DVI-D Male Cable or a HDMI Female/DVI-D Male Adapter.

I know it seems like a small detail but when troubleshooting connectivity problems it makes all the difference.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (2,988 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yes I am using a male to male cable. works with 360 so im confused as hell.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (2,968 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

The monitor you have has to be HDCP compliant. (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) If not this it wont work sorry :smileysad: 

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections. These connections include popular ones like DisplayPort (DP), Digital Visual Interface (DVI), and High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), as well as non-popular or now defunct connections like Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), and Unified Display Interface (UDI). It is commonly, though incorrectly, referred to as High-definition Copy Protection.

HDCP does not allow copying permitted by fair use laws. The system is meant to stop HDCP-encrypted content from being played on devices that do not support HDCP or which have been modified to copy HDCP content. Before sending data, a transmitting device checks that the receiver is authorized to receive it. If so, the transmitter encrypts the data to prevent eavesdropping as it flows to the receiver.

Manufacturers who want to make a device that supports HDCP must obtain a license from Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection LLC, pay an annual fee, and submit to various conditions. For example, devices cannot be designed to copy content; devices must "frustrate attempts to defeat the content protection requirements"; high-definition digital video sources must not transmit protected content to non-HDCP receivers; and DVD-Audio content can only be played at CD-audio quality by non-HDCP digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits).

Cryptanalysis researchers demonstrated flaws in HDCP as early as 2001. In September 2010, an HDCP master key that allows for the generation of valid device keys - rendering the key revocation feature of HDCP useless - was released to the public. Intel has confirmed that the crack is real, and believes the master key was reverse engineered rather than leaked. In practical terms, the impact of the crack has been described as "the digital equivalent of pointing a video camera at the TV", and of limited importance for pirates because the encryption of high-definition discs has been attacked directly, without the loss of interactive features like menus. Intel threatened to sue anyone producing an unlicensed device.

Hope this helps buddy as i had the same problem as you. Hope you get somthing sorted soon m8 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (2,947 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

@AIfa_Romeo

Gotta love Wikipedia :smileyhappy:

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (2,921 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

As AIfa_Romeo said, yes the monitor needs to be HDCP compliant in order to work. However, this is only if you want your PS3 to display at 1080p. You should change the resolution setting to 1080i or lower, as these resolutions do not require HDCP.

As you cant see the settings try doing a hardware reset. This should allow you to reconfigure your PS3's output.

Should it still not display you can either upgrade to a HDCP compliant display OR use the component cable rather than HDMI (this will give you 1080i or lower only). If you take this route you may need to look into a Component to DVI solution if your monitor does not have component ports.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (2,912 Views)
0 Kudos