I didn't have a problem doing it.
I got my old PS3 box and placed the PS3 in it. I used the hair dryer on the silver part at the back of the machine.
I held it about 3 inches away from the machine for 20-30 minutes. Then leave it for another 30-60 minutes to cool my a windo or a fan. Then plug the machine back in and it should work. If it doesn't it a possible overheating may not have been the problem.
cheers lucreto, will increase time to 30 mins. Think is is overheating as the fan kicks-in before it shuts down which indicates power supply is ok.
starting to think this might be something else now, had 4 attempts at hair dryer with no joy.
am i right in thinking that if the fan spins on turn on then it isnt the power supply problem?
i'll try rapid cooling next - did you have unsuccessful attempts before?
am prepared to accept save is lost but really can't be bothered to start game from scratch, put some serious hours in.
note to self - backup saves in futture!
I tried the hairdryer fix on my original 60GB, it didn't work the first time I did, the second time I tried it the case melted and warped
It did fix it long enough to deactivate my account, transfer saves etc though.