02 Nov 2011
Playstation Staff

Hairdryer tips

18 Replies 336 Views Created 02-11-2011
Anyone got any hairdryer tips? Tried 3 times now to revive my 60gb to get my gt5 save with no joy. Had it in a box and tried 15 and 20 min durations. No improvement in the old girl. Not hot enough i.suppose
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: Hairdryer tips

id suppose its dead m8

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

start at the roots and remember to use some product so it doesn't damage the hair too much.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I didn't have a problem doing it.

I got my old PS3 box and placed the PS3 in it. I used the hair dryer on the silver part at the back of the machine.

I held it about 3 inches away from the machine for 20-30 minutes. Then leave it for another 30-60 minutes to cool my a windo or a fan. Then plug the machine back in and it should work. If it doesn't it a possible overheating may not have been the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (316 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

cheers lucreto, will increase time to 30 mins. Think is is overheating as the fan kicks-in before it shuts down which indicates power supply is ok.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (288 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

starting to think this might be something else now, had 4 attempts at hair dryer with no joy.

am i right in thinking that if the fan spins on turn on then it isnt the power supply problem?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (255 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

this worked once for me but only after i placed it in the fridge for 30 mins after heating it for about 15 mins inside the box-moved it to fridge immediately -infact this worked so well it was working for 3 weeks-with me playing games cautiously :smileytongue: and then it worked long enough for me to get the disc out and saves off it without the fridge after that :smileytongue:
[img]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1411/u3sp13drakethug346x1350.png[/img]
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Don't forget this method isn't guaranteed to work. You may have to bite the bullet and accept your GT save is lost. Always remember to back up your saves periodically.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (249 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i'll try rapid cooling next - did you have unsuccessful attempts before?

am prepared to accept save is lost but really can't be bothered to start game from scratch, put some serious hours in.

note to self - backup saves in futture!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I tried the hairdryer fix on my original 60GB, it didn't work the first time I did, the second time I tried it the case melted and warped :Lol:

It did fix it long enough to deactivate my account, transfer saves etc though.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (228 Views)
0 Kudos