Reply
05 Jul 2012
Member
Playstation Staff

Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

[ Edited ]
14 Replies 23,315 Views edited 05-07-2012

Hi,

 

I got my ps3 2 weeks ago, played KZ2 - great \ played uncharted - okey but I was about "what is that gik-gik noise all the time while even small loading while playing game?" \ today played army of two - just unplayable - that noise is there all the time, and won't stop.

 

I found this video in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5DyTBDRKCU&feature=related , it's similar noise, but I have x2 more of that sound and louder sound. After all, I noticed that after this kind of "reading" disc, there are scratched lines on my game discs, not cyrcles like sony says "it's okey" but nice clean lines from one end of disc to other, even few or like X on disc.

 

Any ideas? Help?

 

p.s. sry for my english.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (23,315 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 3
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

I got my first PS3 just seven months ago (a 320GB slim), and I found the blu-ray drive to be noisy when playing some (although very few) physical media games too. Red Dead Redemption being the worst culprit. If it's scratching discs though, that is faulty. I would contact Sony Tech Support about that if I was you. I have no idea whether Sony are legally obligated to replace the damaged discs*, so it might be worth getting some consumer advice before contacting them.

 

* It's possible legal liability falls upon the retailer not the manufacturer, so always worth getting advice to find out where you stand before contacting either.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (23,262 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 11
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

If it's identical to that video i would say it's normal disk read noise. Same games like Uncharted access the BR drive more often hence disk read noise. Slim models can sometimes sound louder probably because of the compact enclosure and how the sound is projected. My brother managed to reduce his new Slim model noise by placing a keyboard mouse mat underneath it, seems to cushion the noise it outputs on a hard surface.


SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (23,257 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 3
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

Is your Uncharted 3 disc noisy during gameplay or cut scenes? Or both? I only really notice it during cutscenes... and only then if the volume is low. With RDD it is all the time. It's the only game I own which I wish I'd bought via the PS Store instead of Amazon because it's so distracting.
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (23,248 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 5
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

My silver PS3 slim makes a really lound constant vibration noise, so bad to the point were bluray's are unwatchable, i talked to game and as it was a limited edition they said they will exchange it for a white ps3 slim on friday when they are in.

just a pain in the ass switching all my data to my 60gb again, annoying as hell.
Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (23,244 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 2
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

[ Edited ]

Well it's too loud, even can hear it when I play in headsets. And it's all the time, while gameplay while cutscenes. I was trying to eject disc while that sound is happening, and to put disc back - and this noise was away, but after few minutes it was there again.

I know that drive can't read the disc without any sounds, but in my case it's x2 often and louder than on video which I found.

I saw few video about pc3 taking apart and so on, and I saw how bluray drive is made, so there is laser eye sliding on 2 rails and it's reading the data from disc some times on one side some times on other.. but how can laser be working correctly if it's sliding left and right all the time, there is no time to read something as I udnerstand, it's really fast and loud noise like console is freezed and drive can't read broken disc or something..

I talked to sony, the guy said clearly a) there are cyrcles on the disc - it's ok and sound should be ok too b) there are LINES (just like I have) on the disc - it's a problem and it can cause that sound - console need to be replaced or repaired.
So I will send my console to shop where I bought it, and will ask to replace console. :smileysad:

It's my first console, and I hate to start it like that...

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (23,244 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 3
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

[ Edited ]

thewoe wrote:
My silver PS3 slim makes a really lound constant vibration noise, so bad to the point were bluray's are unwatchable, i talked to game and as it was a limited edition they said they will exchange it for a white ps3 slim on friday when they are in.

just a pain in the ass switching all my data to my 60gb again, annoying as hell.

 

Yeah, even though noise is definitely a problem with the blu-ray drive in PS3 Slims, I would say your situation is not normal too.  I don't get any noise while watching films on blu-ray or DVD.  When noise occurs while playing games, it is clearly the head moving up and down the disk (seeking), not vibration.

 

It normally occurs with games and not movies because when game data (textures, audio, etc.) is loaded on the fly, different data will be at different disc locations... meaning the head has to jump wildly around the disc to access everything it needs.  Movies are written to the disc linearly however, so the head doesn't have to jump around so much.  It will jump around when navigating menus... but it should be totally smooth (and quiet) while watching the movie.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (23,236 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 2
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading


fauxtronic wrote:

thewoe wrote:
My silver PS3 slim makes a really lound constant vibration noise, so bad to the point were bluray's are unwatchable, i talked to game and as it was a limited edition they said they will exchange it for a white ps3 slim on friday when they are in.

just a pain in the ass switching all my data to my 60gb again, annoying as hell.

 

Yeah, even though noise is definitely a problem with the blu-ray drive in PS3 Slims, I would say your situation is not normal too.  I don't get any noise while watching films on blu-ray or DVD.  When noise occurs while playing games, it is clearly the head moving up and down the disk (seeking), not vibration.

 

It normally occurs with games and not movies because when game data (textures, audio, etc.) is loaded on the fly, different data will be at different disc locations... meaning the head has to jump wildly around the disc to access everything it needs.  Movies are written to the disc linearly however, so the head doesn't have to jump around so much.  It will jump around when navigating menus... but it should be totally smooth (and quiet) while watching the movie.



I sent my console back to shop, and marked that I'd like replacement. Let's see what will be with new console, even sony hotline agent said that this noise isn't okey, and laser head should not moving like that *games are written same as movies - linearly he said*. And simple thing like line on the disc after playing, it's something wrong for sure (agent words). So ppl who are experiencing same thing - should not ignore it "ps3 was made to make your happy and bring best gameplay experience to you" said that guy, and "there is no compromises like "okey-that sound is ok" ".

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (23,214 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 3
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

[ Edited ]

hell_d_go wrote:
I sent my console back to shop, and marked that I'd like replacement. Let's see what will be with new console, even sony hotline agent said that this noise isn't okey, and laser head should not moving like that *games are written same as movies - linearly he said*. 


He doesn't know what he's talking about or has misunderstood what you mean.  Movies are written as a single file linearly in a continuous stream.  This even allows the laser head to read ahead while you're watching.  It doesn't have to jump all over the disc because it's reading byte data from the beginning to the end of a single file.  It doesn't need to thrash all over the disc.

 

Textures, audio, etc., are stored on a blu-ray pretty much like the files on your computer's HDD.  All as separate files.  While some textures might be on the inner part of the disc, others might be on the outer parts.  So the head has to literally jump from the inner part of the disc to the outer.  This is where the noise comes from with games which need to constantly load scenery from disc.

 

Just bear in mind that you will always hear noise with certain games on physical media... so it's always worth researching beforehand and perhaps buying the digital version from the PS Store if you want to avoid that.  I gotta tell you though, that this has only degraded the Red Dead Redemption experience for me.

 

Good luck with your replacement PS3 anyway!

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (23,210 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
Level 3
 
Playstation Staff

Re: Hi, my ps3 drive is making harsh noise while reading

[ Edited ]

Here, I'm such a geek who is bad at explaining things that I couldn't resist making a visualization which hopefully explains why some gaming discs are noisy.

 

The first image demonstrates how a typical movie is written to a disc.  It's usually a single file (sometimes two) written linearly.  The second image is typical of those PS3 games which load data on-the-fly while you are playing.  (Note: Not all PS3 games are like this.  Some install entirely to the HDD and only require the disc to be inserted to ensure you own it!)

 

disc-structure-visualization.jpg

 

The laser head doesn't (noisily) jump around when playing movies because it is reading from a continual "spiral" path of data.  Games like Dead Redemption are noisy because it must read self-contained scenery files which are scattered all over the disc.  RDD is particularly annoying because it *constantly* loads scenery data as you move around the landscape.  I really wish R* had provided an option to installed the game *entirely* to disk.

Please use plain text.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (23,184 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos