PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

12 Jan 2012
By: Kandaddy_Kool

1 Posts

How do I REALLY free up a lot of space on my ps3 HDD

9 Replies 11028 Views Created 12-01-2012

I know there are a lot of posts relating to freeing up space on my ps3 all over the net, but I'm not looking for a dummies guide, I'm looking for a more advanced guide.

From what I can tell I am only using about 10gb of the space on my ps3, no media except for 4 very small pics, only the game data files and save data files relevant to the games I currently play and this 10gb includes those (its skyrim and bf3 btw).

However on my 40gb ps3 it still says I have only 12gb free, where is the other 15gb, I've tried loads, including: going into safe mode, trawlling through every file on my ps3 (I'm quite good and keep it relatively free of junk) but still cant free up more than 10gb.

Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated. I don't want to have to upgrade my internal HDD or anything at the moment as I don't have the money to do that.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (11,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: How do I REALLY free up a lot of space on my ps3 HDD

first things first

u dont actually get 40 gb due to how the numbers are made up

2nd the ps3 operating system takes up a chunk of the hdd space

sure someone with a more detailed knowledge will explain it fully

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (11,019 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

You will actually get around 36 gig on 40GB model i would seriously recommend upgrading the drive easily done on a 40GB without the need for messing about with firmware on USB stick.

I upgraded my 40GB within months of purchasing it was filling up fast play and install several games soon eats into the gigs and PS Home can take a huge chunk of memory if you don't use it.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (10,999 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

My mate had one of these 40gb PS3's, from memory allowing for the difference in how HDD space is calculated and the operating system I think his showed a usuable space of about 31gb straight out of the box :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (10,974 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Don't bother freeing up space, you simply need a new hard drive. Drives ranging from 120GB to 750gb only cost between £20 and £100. Just search ebay for PS3 compatible drive.

The drives are very easy to change without risking damage and doesn't void warranty.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (10,950 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

go all out and get a terrabyte drive :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (10,946 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

important thing to note tho with upgrading the HDD is the optimal spin speed for a ps3 HDD is 5400rpm you can get faster but risks of overheating are significantly increased and dont make the same mistake I made 1st time by buying a 3.5" SATA HDD it needs to be 2.5"
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (10,885 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

:smileyvery-happy: I bet you quickly realised the 3.5" HDD was going to be a tight fit !

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (10,838 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

hey hey

check your home settings as there is hdd space reserverved for home which you can adjust.
vidzone will cache around 1gb of data. so if you dont use vidzone you can delete the data.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (10,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

lfcrule1972 wrote:
:smileyvery-happy: I bet you quickly realised the 3.5" HDD was going to be a tight fit !

yep i felt like a right dummy but luckily for me the retailer did change it for me at no extra cost after laughing at me lol

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (10,805 Views)
0 Kudos