Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: How do you become a moderator?

Last time they hada job going they posted here on the forums as well with a link to the site of the guys running the recruitment where you could apply.

I think to be a moderator you have to work out of there London office in the week as well. Its not just a moderation from home thing.

GD Trophy Hoarders Sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29 (351 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

shooby337 wrote:

I think to be a moderator you have to work out of there London office in the week as well. Its not just a moderation from home thing.

That's right, SCEE in Great Marlborough Street. They have a funky canteen.

Edit : By funky I mean 'groovy' and not 'smelly'.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29 (348 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Sophie bear in mind also that if you sign a contract with Sony to become a mod, then it's just like joining the Armed Forces.

Once you're in and you don't like it - you're *****ed ! They own your soul, and it is a criminal offence to just 'leave'. Some people have been allowed to buy themselves out, but otherwise you're stuck.

Some Sony employees have been called up to fight on the frontline too, when they only thought they were joining to play games and that they wouldn't really have to fight. 

Think long and hard about the decision hun....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29 (331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

xLol_Sophie_loLx wrote:

Hey anyone know how u become a moderator? Because im always on the sce services all day and i see so mutch on playstation home its discusting and it needs sorting, and if i had moderator powers i feel like i could make a big impact on psn for the better.. and make the use of playstation home better for everyone.. 

Could you reply tot his on ps3 please as its easyer lol.. Thank you for your time :Smile:

First of all are you old enough for employment? And would you be prepared to relocate in London if you don't already live there?

If so then all you can do is keep checking the Announcements section of the forum for any vacancies when they arise.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29 (330 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

TheNarrator wrote:
anyone can totally become a Moderator, if theyre looking its usually listed on a job site like http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/

id imagine its rather tough, alot of hard work and also have alot of red tape and all sorts of stuff bound around it too. you probably wouldnt be able to just swan in Superman-style and fix something just because you have that position though, as the Mods that are about at the moment do the best they can 8).

If I could dish out the Kudos button I would, but you deserve a cake for posting that link. Red tape is about right when joining corporations. Tons of interviews, loads of trial periods and loads of abuse hurtled towards ya. So anyone who wants to be a moderator will do so at their own risk. :smileyvery-happy: I'm sure some moderator would come on here and say: "It's not that bad really" no!... it's worse.

"Why buy something that acts like a PlayStation... When you can buy a PlayStation"- my thoughts on the Xbox One revision.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29 (308 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

mike20036 wrote:
It seems to be alot of hard worked being a moderator. And I bet Its not easy as well.

Well they do get paid well, Hawk even managed to buy a BMX from his first pay packet.

I'm skint, totally. Pay day can't come soon enough :smileyvery-happy: That's what I get for buying a shiny blue BMX and spending all my savings on holidays *cries*

If I'd gone elsewhere I could be on double with a higher position but its SONY & its PlayStation so its an inroads and well, a company I always wanted to work for but never thought I would & I must say despite it being a thankless task I am quite enjoying my time here :smileyhappy:

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29 (280 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

Short answer: I don't know

How do you join Sony? I've looked around and found America to have the easiest of job searches and the EU gets a choice between Graduate and experienced. So which category does Moderator fall in. There's no where on the PlayStation site about jobs either so do we just apply through PlayStation America since their the ones with more variable jobs.

When the next issue of our very own PlayStaion mag is out (soonish!) be sure to read my interview which will explain how I got a job here - not all jobs are advertised on a companies own website(s).

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29 (280 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

emw80 wrote:

mike20036 wrote:
It seems to be alot of hard worked being a moderator. And I bet Its not easy as well.

Yeah it must be real tough sitting at a desk using the computer and attending tea n coffee meetings.

I'm just happy that they're a decent bunch of people and not like mods on other sites.

What are these meetings you speak of? I would appreciate more tea and biscuits!!

I've had over 16 jobs, this is probably the hardest I've ever worked and that includes manual labour & management.

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29 (280 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

fski wrote:

shooby337 wrote:

That's right, SCEE in Great Marlborough Street. They have a funky canteen.

Edit : By funky I mean 'groovy' and not 'smelly'.

Next time you're in don't forget to play spot the hawk... you'll never win :smileytongue:

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 29 (279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

And for anyone wants to get a start in moderation there are these big companies:

http://www.emoderation.com/

http://tempero.co.uk/

There's loads of others but those are two of the big ones.

Also https://www.odesk.com/

They're the guys who handle Facebook and Google Plus moderation but you'll never see their names used, even when you get the work you will only be able to guess who your employer is as its pretty obvious and its usually one by people in far away lands where the pay is much less.

Read: http://gawker.com/5885714/ for more on FB and also the follow up stories!

Also be warned, gone are the days when a moderation company would take any young person on who could answer a few questions, use a computer and know their way around wikipedia - now they want people with really good experience and so people who I saw employed three years ago would find their CVs in the bin these days... its a good idea to have some forum moderation experience under your belt and maybe try one of the smaller digital agencies who might do the occasional bit of modding depending on what their latest advertisement is or latest facebook campaign because for them it may be cheaper to keep the modding in house!

The guy that use to run Bebo now runs a funky agency, forget its name but something Punk (punktillo maybe)? That kind of place still gives creative people a nice look in at times.

Beyond that if you manage FB pages that our very popular or another forum or website, blog etc then that will look good.

Never have understood though why people want to become a mod, its not something you'd want to stay in, pays not great and the work can be boring etc etc... though I do have a friend who went from mod to manager and to Google (pure luck) and I ended up here so can't complain but still :smileyfrustrated:

Anyhow... hope some of that is helpful to someone :smileyhappy:

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29 (274 Views)
0 Kudos