10 Apr 2012
Playstation Staff

How to speed up PSN downloads

6 Replies 5,560 Views Created 10-04-2012

Repost of my thread over at VM forums, guess it make's more sense here. This is old info but i don't think its widely known by any means, more people should try it out.

I think PSN actively throttles devices at times because the download speed can be around 1mb/s at times which is pathetic considering most people have much better connections than this.

It could be something ISP related too, but i think if that were the case then this trick wouldn't work at all, so i've come to the conclusion that at certain times PSN slows down or caps download speeds, for whatever reason.

After doing this i was getting much better speeds, similar to what i get on my PC. You need a static IP address for this but most people with Virgin should do (if not it takes a few seconds to set a static IP, google it), and it only takes 2 minutes to setup, you just have to leave your PC on while the PSN is downloading and your downloads will be done much, much quicker - it's a fact.

1. find out your computer's ip address on your internal network - network/sharing centre in windows, e.g 192.168.0.2

2. download privoxy from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/files/

3. install privoxy, might want to uncheck launch with windows

4. open privoxy, go to options and then edit main config

5. ctrl+f the text for any of the following

listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118

Code:
# Suppose you are running Privoxy on an IPv6-capable machine and
# you want it to listen on the IPv6 address of the loopback device:
#
# listen-address [::1]:8118
#
listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118
#
#
# 4.2. toggle
# ============
#
# Specifies:
#
# Initial state of "toggle" status

6. change both 127 ip's to your pc's address you looked up on step 1 - leave the ports as 8118

7. save and close the text document. leave your pc running and go to the ps3

8. on ps3 go to internet connection settings, carry on as normal until you hit proxy server - choose use proxy

9. the proxy ip should be your computer's ip and the port should be 8118 like it was in the document

10. continue and then do the network test, it should succeed if you did everything right

Go to PSN store and pick a hefty download, i chose Red Dead Redemption which clocks in at 8GB and the download was flying. You don't need to do this all the time, but its perfect for large downloads. 

Quick demonstration of the speed

http://youtu.be/vWVMxxEtxO0?hd=1

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (5,560 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: How to speed up PSN downloads

not had that problem.

My ps3 downloads comes down at a nice rate.

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (5,558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does large demos or games take the *****. This will increase the download speed by a nice amount regardless

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (5,552 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi,I'm not tech savvy so would this work on a hauwi e586 mifi as i use wifi only for connection ?.Thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (5,481 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

dynamite4sure wrote:

Hi,I'm not tech savvy so would this work on a hauwi e586 mifi as i use wifi only for connection ?.Thanks.

NOPE.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (5,460 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I dont feel the need for this as i use auto download when im not at the ps3 for it to do any downloading i want so its there when i return
DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (5,404 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

not everyone has ps+, and it doesn't matter, it speeds up downloads by a good amount, nothing more to it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (5,383 Views)
0 Kudos