09 Apr 2007

Playstation Staff

Installing different OS on the PS3

14 Replies 1,029 Views Created 09-04-2007
Hi,

I have read a few threads about other people installing different OS's on their PS3, how do you do it?

Do you have to buy a disc? Or is it a download? Can I install Windows on it?

I think I get how to install it on to the PS3 (don't you go to Install Other OS or something?) but how do I get the application on the PS3 hard drive in the first place?

I know this may sound like stupid questions to some of you people, but Im only a simple person! Im sure there is other people out there wondering how this is done.

PerfectRS4
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Installing different OS on the PS3

Hi Mate,

I think you can install wondows on it but it isnt adviseable and doesnt work well, look on youtube as there is a vid i was on there of someone doing it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I do not think there has been any PowerPC version of Windows since Nt 4.0, and I doubt that installs on Cell. However it would be possible to install Linux then use a Virtual Machine for Windows afterwards. This is not advisable since the PS3 only has 256MB system ram part of which is allocated to graphics since the Hypervisor locks out the RSX and it's ram.

You can install Linux however, Yellow Dog Linux 5 for PS3 is freely downloadable from a number of locations, here is one:
ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-5.0-phoenix-20061208-PS3.iso

And a guide to install:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.terrasoftsolutions.com%2Fsupport%2Fi...

But I seriously recommend you forget about it for now unless you are fairly technically able, Linux on it's own is not exactly an OS for your average console gamer. If you are familiar with such areas though, go for it and let me know how it is - I really can not be bothered myself because the ram limit is too harsh.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I tried ti install Linux and I was in a bad mood the whole time I was trying, I wouldn't bother
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You can install windows as I said previously, but it doesnt work well so avoid it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ever installed it on a PC before?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You can install windows as I said previously, but it doesnt work well so avoid it.

Can you provide any information on this? I am curious, I do not see how it would even be possible since the Cell is a PowerPC base and not even nearly similar to the x86 base of 32bit windows. Unless 64bit windows is so different?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hi, I have read a few threads about other people installing different OS's on their PS3, how do you do it? Do you have to buy a disc? Or is it a download? Can I install Windows on it? if you never tried before maybe you shouldn't bother. it is not that complicated and if you have ever done an f:drive ect it wont be very hard to achieve. installing linux gives you the ability to backup your blu ray films and games to make working copies to protect your investment but sony would rather you have to purchase another copy if you game is ruined so you would be deemed a pirate if you tried! http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/search/label/Mods http://www.ps3hax.net/ there are may vids on you tube showing the simple procedure! xp on a ps3 but the ps3 only has 512 mb of ram so lmfao i wouldn't bother! i have even see xp running on a 486 so this is hardly an achievement now! but you got to admire the ps3 power at how fast xp loads *sarcasm* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ecr8tWetI
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It runs linux, thats it. AS has already been said there is no PPC or Cell version of Windows so it wont ever run. The hardware and XMB are based on a linux design so hence the reason you can install it. You have to ask yourself though. Why do you want to install another OS? What do you plan to do with it?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It runs linux, thats it.

AS has already been said there is no PPC or Cell version of Windows so it wont ever run. The hardware and XMB are based on a linux design so hence the reason you can install it.

You have to ask yourself though. Why do you want to install another OS? What do you plan to do with it?

Link 40 together and create cheap, off the shelf smart missiles?

Too subtle? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (1,029 Views)
0 Kudos