22 Aug 2010
Playstation Staff

Installing games on the PS3.

5 Replies 2,160 Views Created 22-08-2010

Hello to all,

I had the option to install G1 Jockey 2008 to my hard drive. Does this work in the same way that it does on the 36, in that you still need the disc in the drive for the game to work, or does it install it and you don't need the disc anymore?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (2,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Installing games on the PS3.

[ Edited ]

Many PS3 games have the option (or requirement) to install to hard drive. In all cases you need the disk to remain in the drive.

yaster's Streambadge
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (2,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

If you have the space on your HDD to do an optional install, it's obviously always for the better. But as Yaster says above, you'll still always need to have the disk inside the PS3 whilst playing it.

The main reason for certain games to have an install is to shorten its loading times.

JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (2,089 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It's pretty much the same.

The Xbox installs the whole game, creating a disk image,  downside, takes up space, takes time.

The PS3 only installs the resources it needs, upside, only games that need it offer it, and it uses less HDD space.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (2,072 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

JayGT5 wrote:

The main reason for certain games to have an install is to shorten its loading times.

For me the main reason is that it put less stress on the disc laser. I wish it was possible to install all games.

Besides YLOD, the most common error of PS3s is that the optical disc laser stops working. And it was a common fault for the PS1 and PS2 too.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (2,065 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

JayGT5 wrote:

If you have the space on your HDD to do an optional install, it's obviously always for the better. But as Yaster says above, you'll still always need to have the disk inside the PS3 whilst playing it.

just not time crisis 4. it takes bloody ages and makes sod all differnce to any loading . it only loads after each full stage anyway

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (1,955 Views)
0 Kudos