Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Introducing the Official PlayStation Community Magazine!

Solid_Snake12345 wrote:

I also have two things to suggest. The first would perhaps to have a "Retro Reviews" section in order to allow people to review older games in addition to the new releases. Secondly, if it's going to remain at three reviews an issue perhaps having two people to do two different reviews of a game could be an interesting way to try and encourage readers, giving two seperate reviews (which should be objective yet generally are not unfortunately) is something nowhere else does to my knowledge and it would create something unique for the magaziine.

Given that this magazine is written by the community, for the community it differs somewhat from other review/news sources. Theres no editor pushing you as a writer to be the first to do anything, you don't have to publish the first review of a title to get the most hits etc etc this allows for a more unique take on things.

Rolling reviews have been called for this gen since DLC and patches seem to be a mainstay of modern gaming and whilst a magazine is not the best place to attempt this there is an alternative. Potentially, a 'cheap thrills' section could be implemented whereby a game (possibly a recent addition to the bargain bin thread) is reviewed based on its current  state, i.e. patches (Modnation racers load time patch springs to mind), state of the online community, active players, time spent waiting in lobbies. A release day review of burnout paradise would differ vastly to a review written tomorrow for instance.

On to the aforementioned 'retro reviews', something that interests me greatly given I still play on my older consoles a fair bit, this is a good idea, provided its done properly, but again, it needs to discuss the relevance of the retro title in 2012, why does it surpass titles released today in the same genre? Why shouldn't I play something newer? And this sort of goes without saying, but the reviewer needs to make sure their rose tinted specs are well and truly off. Just some minor input.

And thanks to whoever clarified the release as quarterly.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 74 (400 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Where's everyone's post count gone ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 74 (393 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

THE_FORCE wrote:

Where's everyone's post count gone ?

i ate them all for breakfast.... nom nom nom nom

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 74 (391 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Looks good!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 74 (384 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

@Solid_Snake12345 - You raise some very good points.

I already thought of a hints and tips section before the mag went out (with Mattsimmo) and I think if we can get the Trophy Hoarders to share their knowledge in the mag, it'll be a great addition, serving as a way to aid others in game, who may not be entirely familiar with the forums.

I say this because the Playstation Community Mag is advertised on the home page of the forums, so anyone just checking the forums for the first time can easily have a browse through it, as it's in a place that's most noticeable. :smileyhappy:

I've offered to do the editing after I've typed my own articles up and I think there's a possibility there will be two people editing, with Mattsimmo overseeing (no doubt, checking things over himself for a third time), so that's not going to be a problem.

I think next issue I'll be making some signatures to help promote the magazine, advertising it over my twitter page (@CaptainCortez) and over facebook. This will not only help to grow the fan base of the magazine, but will also serve as a way to attract more people to write for it, as it gives them an opportunity to contribute with whatever they so desire. This is why there may be less content to begin with because there are only a limited number of people working on it, but as people become more aware of the quality it has and what it offers, this is when more people will start to get involved. :smileyhappy:

As far as content goes, I think the community can pretty much do what they want. For example, I want to design the front cover for the next issue, as well as continuing to write more articles for the mag. I used to write for a pretty small games journalism group called the Sticktwiddlers and actually covered Devil May Cry (HD Collection and the new DmC) a fair amount, so can pull stuff from there and rewrite everything as DMC is my favourite gaming series of all time, so I can go nuts with my knowledge and hopefully present you with another good read!

As a little personal side note (more for my own benefit), what did you think of my Shadows of the Damed review, as well as my Lollipop Chainsaw Preview?

I love my wacky games (No More Heroes, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand etc), so if you have any requests, feel free to fire them my way!

Everyone involved would like your feedback on absolutely everything, so if you want more from us, let us know what you're after. If you want to get involved, let us (or more specifically Mattsimmo) know what you want to get involved with. He's easy and great to get along with and the mods have put a great deal of time and effort into making this a reality too, so don't hesitate to get in contact with Wretched_Hawk, Yaster, LordRoss, Kloudshun, Bambaroo and Envisager as they'd no doubt be more than happy to help.

I'm only a PM away, too. :smileyhappy:

P.s. When Mattsimmo said quarterly, he meant out of the year, not week. So, you're likely to see a mag every three months! :smileywink:

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 74 (373 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i have to agree with everyone so far, in that the mag looks extremely professional.

it's amazing that some forum members got together & did this. nice one.

my only criticism would be that it's not very ps3 browser friendly.

i'm sure there are very good reasons for this & that the developers know what the issues are, but here's my main two:

1) constraints of the zoom tab. ie: i'd love to be able to press R3, then use L2 & R2 as usual to get the size just right.

2) the right analogue stick is defunct, leaving the left one to do both jobs. it's a bit tricky to use.

come to think of it, that's the only two criticisms. good job:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 74 (357 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Is this mag in a downloadable format?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 74 (349 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

@gymno74 i'll hold my hands up there and plead guilty to not testing it on the ps3 browser.  With the way the hosting site works, I can't see this changing for the browser on the ps3unfortunately.  I will certainly look into anything that can be done to change the ps3 browser format.

@grim at the moment, there isn't.  we'll certainly look into what download options are available through the hosting site for the next issue.

@ other replies - thank you again for your feedback, we are taking note of what you've wrtitten.  what I would add is that, when you provide feedback of what you would like to see, please let us know if you would be personally interested in writing the said article(s) etc.

as mentioned previously, the mag was proof read and changes were made from the articles submitted to those in the 'live' issue.  we try and get as many eyes on it as possible to ensure everything is as great/correct as it can be.

cheers :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 74 (335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Great magazine, love it! Havent fully read through it yet, but from what i have read, i love it and am very impressed. Good work and well done to everyone involved!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 74 (326 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

CaptainCortez wrote:

@Solid_Snake12345 - You raise some very good points.

I already thought of a hints and tips section before the mag went out (with Mattsimmo) and I think if we can get the Trophy Hoarders to share their knowledge in the mag, it'll be a great addition, serving as a way to aid others in game, who may not be entirely familiar with the forums.

I say this because the Playstation Community Mag is advertised on the home page of the forums, so anyone just checking the forums for the first time can easily have a browse through it, as it's in a place that's most noticeable. :smileyhappy:

I've offered to do the editing after I've typed my own articles up and I think there's a possibility there will be two people editing, with Mattsimmo overseeing (no doubt, checking things over himself for a third time), so that's not going to be a problem.

I think next issue I'll be making some signatures to help promote the magazine, advertising it over my twitter page (@CaptainCortez) and over facebook. This will not only help to grow the fan base of the magazine, but will also serve as a way to attract more people to write for it, as it gives them an opportunity to contribute with whatever they so desire. This is why there may be less content to begin with because there are only a limited number of people working on it, but as people become more aware of the quality it has and what it offers, this is when more people will start to get involved. :smileyhappy:

As far as content goes, I think the community can pretty much do what they want. For example, I want to design the front cover for the next issue, as well as continuing to write more articles for the mag. I used to write for a pretty small games journalism group called the Sticktwiddlers and actually covered Devil May Cry (HD Collection and the new DmC) a fair amount, so can pull stuff from there and rewrite everything as DMC is my favourite gaming series of all time, so I can go nuts with my knowledge and hopefully present you with another good read!

As a little personal side note (more for my own benefit), what did you think of my Shadows of the Damed review, as well as my Lollipop Chainsaw Preview?

I love my wacky games (No More Heroes, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand etc), so if you have any requests, feel free to fire them my way!

Everyone involved would like your feedback on absolutely everything, so if you want more from us, let us know what you're after. If you want to get involved, let us (or more specifically Mattsimmo) know what you want to get involved with. He's easy and great to get along with and the mods have put a great deal of time and effort into making this a reality too, so don't hesitate to get in contact with Wretched_Hawk, Yaster, LordRoss, Kloudshun, Bambaroo and Envisager as they'd no doubt be more than happy to help.

I'm only a PM away, too. :smileyhappy:

P.s. When Mattsimmo said quarterly, he meant out of the year, not week. So, you're likely to see a mag every three months! :smileywink:

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Good idea regarding the advertising. Signatures in general are a rather effective way of promoting something here (Narrator's Warhawk Wednesday signature rewards instantly come to mind), perhaps one for each of the writers/contributers to raise awareness may work, possibly something small so they could still keep their current one or alternatively something that can be easily implemented into the existing one that they have. And social media (although I hope you've been obsessively trying to get followers and friends so it has an even bigger impact :smileytongue:) from you and the others (I presume) as you've said is an excellent way of spreading it further than just the forums and similarly attracting other writers and contributers.

One thing just to note regarding adding what people want, the one suggestion I would have is to try and keep a similar format each issue (of course it is undeniable that the initial structure will probably have a revision as more people view and contribute to it and, of course, give more feedback). The only reason I suggest this is so that the is a consistent tone kept to the magazine allowing it to have a more professional feel despite being user-produced and the culmination of voluntary work. Taking stuff you wrote from another media outlet seems like a good idea (although any legal issues surrounding it wouldn't go down too well so ensure that you can :smileytongue:) as, at the very least, it gives you some articles should there ever be a period when not much is being contributed to.

Anyway, the main bit I wanted to get to was feedback on your review and preview (I started posting this about three hours ago but I got quite side-tracked while trying to post the above so apologies for the late response). Also, one more thing just before I begin typing feedback/(hopefully) constructive criticism, I am quite sure many in real life would describe me as either far too harsh, pedantic, blunt or analytical so the vast majority of this is quite minor and I hope I certainly do not offend you, I have absolutely no intention of doing so and simply would like to suggest areas of improvement. And with all that said, you're probably expecting a scathing review of your articles but let me put your fears to rest, over all they are of a good quality and should leave atleast some impression upon the reader. Finally, before anybody points out the irony of "reviewing a review" and suggests doing one myself, I am both well aware of the irony and although I personally may see things in theory and in others' work, that doesn't necessarily mean I am able to put it into practice. Now, onto some suggestions:

The Review:
Structure: Ok, the first thing I'd like to touch upon is the structure of the review itself. The first thing that I wish to note is the transition from the bold print to contextualise it into the article itself. Perhaps just a tiny paragraph or even a sentence at the beginning to allow for a smoother transition into the article. Something similar to maybe Richard's "like most of Zipper's recent output" just to tie it in initially instead of jumping right in with "As you begin the game...". An example could be "As you begin the game we are greeted to Garcia, the main protagonist whose appearance resembles some of Suda's other characters, particularly those within the popular Killer7, messing up..." just so that you have a way to link the beginning with your opening.  Trying to find a smoother way to transition between paragraphs or link them together would also help. For example in the first paragraph at the end you mention "This is where you first get a taste of gameplay". At this point, it sets up an expectation for the reader that you are now going to begin talking about the gameplay whereas you instead continue to give a brief outline of the story. I thought how you introduced the difficulty settings was well done following this and likewise your swiftness to point out out that you don't unlock more and there's no New Game +. In addition, moving onto the replayability from here was a clever move that made sense. The second and third page however seems structured very well, transitioning from one topic to the next without any real issue and your conclusion at the end was very good, there was a clear feeling that you were finishing up and it summarised your thoughts well. Overall it was pretty much just the beginning and maybe the transition from the first page to the second that I felt could have been improved.

Content: The content you have in the review cannot really be faulted. You've given the set-up of the story in a brief and concise way. You've explained how much replayability there is within the game. The atmosphere of the game has been mentioned ( you could mention a little more regarding the actual graphics though, the lighting, textures and character designs for example). The music has been mentioned and you included a large amount of gameplay mechanics. The one thing that could have been included is relating to how the actual gameplay itself isn't really explained (you do make the comparison to Resident Evil 4 I know but you mention "incredibly fun gameplay mechanics [although I guess that could refer to your explanation of things such as the upgrade system later on]). Reading the review it isn't particularly clear as to why the gameplay is so addictive. Whether or not it's due to the pace, what the dodging is like and whether or not the melee combat plays a big part in this and just how much depth there is to the combat. This could be then used to connect to the atmosphere as you could have finished the paragraph with "The addictive gameplay also bolsters the incredible atmosphere that is created within the game" which would then allow it to flow much more seemlessly into the second page as opposed to resorting to "Now, going back to the game itself". One other thing to suggest is rather than stating that you "won't go into too much details where the bosses are concerned" followed by mentioning your favourite, you could talk about the bosses overall instead, mentioning perhaps the boss design (are the models of high quality? Is their area design interesting? Do they stand out? Are they unique? Are any unique gameplay mechanics added during the boss fights or do they instead challenge you with the typical gameplay?). One thing I'm not really keen on is the addition of a score at the end as I've already noted but that is of course up to you. However, as I've stated, the content you included was very good.

Writing: There appears to be few mistakes with regards to either grammar, spelling punctuation or your syntax. The one thing I noticed is on the second page, the first column, fourth paragraph it should be "parents' wall" as opposed to "parents wall" (assuming "parents" is plural, if it isn't than it should be "parent's"). Some phrases could perhaps be phrased differently to provide slightly more clarity or to make it easier to read but there is no real noticable or glaring mistakes. You've also included humour within the review (sorry, my sense of humour is...not so good...so although I can tell that you have included humour, dark humour it seems which is very fitting considering the game, I can't really tell you how effective it is) which also will appeal to readers.

NOTE: I tend to prefer rather formal, almost pedantic writing and you seemed to have a more informal tone (I'm not criticising that by the way) which of course allows it to read in a way that's much more relatable for the vast majority of people so some of this feedback probably isn't relevant unless you go for a more formal approach.

I would give a very analytical view of the preview but I must admit I'm not too sure on how previews would generally be laid out, structured and written, specifically when there isn't access to the game (I presume. The lack of stating whether or not you have the game is something I actually approve of as if you don't it certainly wouldn't make a good impression to say so :smileytongue:). In addition, House has just begun so I'll comment on the preview later.

Let me just reassure you though, both the preview and review read well and they give off a good impression. The sort of pedantic analysis I'm doing is simply so that (hopefully) you get some ideas on how you may improve in the event that you wish too.

Also, regarding it being quarterly, whoops, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking of bimonthly :smileytongue:.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 74 (323 Views)
0 Kudos