Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Is PS3 Fan auto-clean test safe?

skullmcrex wrote:
Why not for 60Gb?
holding the machine upside down and blocking the airvents to cause heat build up, and great stress on the components, sound safe to you?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 42 (10,161 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The PS3 Fan Test can damages your system, the fans speeding up is a fail safe trying to get the bottled up heat out of the system, this can burn your CPU and GPU, this is confirmed by Sony

That was .....---> http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-134635.aspx   here

But that sounds like it was aimed at the 60 gig  i meen its obviusly stupid to overheat your machine .

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 42 (10,095 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i done it twice this month

oops

wont do it again 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 42 (10,031 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I don't know if its safe to do the fan test on a 40GB, the easy answer would be does it mention this in any of the instruction/feature manuals that came with the ps3? Failing that is there any mention of this function in the online manual? Personally I would invest in a lower powered hover (car hover/stair hover) as this is completely safe to do.
Teh gamer is doing a 24 hour game a thon for Shrewsbury and Telford hospital please give what you can here https://www.justgiving.com/Ifor-Edwards1
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 42 (9,920 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

if it wasnt safe then why would it be possible?

ive done it once

Oooooft!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 42 (9,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

DannyScott7 wrote:

if it wasnt safe then why would it be possible?

ive done it once

I agree with that. Ive done it several times(mostly accidental!!!:smileyhappy:) and its never had any negative effects. In fact its made my fan quieter.
Also Ive spoken to an SCEE rep and they denied it even existed!:smileysurprised:
I wouldn't do it too often but its fun when you tell someone else to do it over the phone and listen to their reaction lol!:smileyvery-happy:
Message Edited by strangeplaice on 24-05-2008 04:24 PM
Message Edited by strangeplaice on 24-05-2008 04:25 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 42 (9,870 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

NEW SMILIES SUCK!!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 42 (9,868 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

As I'm aware the 'fan test' is performed by holding the eject button on the 40Gb model.  I can't possibly see how this would cause any harm what-so-ever.  Coming from an IT background, virtually all servers power up their fans to their full speed when first turned on primarily as a diagnostic function.  Fan speeds are variable (as with the PS3) to provide more cooling when required, and to reduce noise, energy and wear when not required.  The fan test allows the system to ensure that they fans are all functioning correctly and are able to obtain a specified maximum rpm range when at full power.

I'm assuming that the PS3 fan test is the same and would be a tool used when servicing or troubleshooting possible overheating issues.  Somewhere behind the scenes the fan speed indicator will be reporting to the system the maximum fan rpm achieved during the test.

This test would place absolutely no strain on the PSU or GPU and the only possibly way I can see it damaging your system is if you did it enough times to eventually wear out the bearings in the fans.

Obviously achiving the full fan speed by blocking all the vents is a completely retarded way of making the fans spin faster as they are responding to a programmed temperature event and trying to do their job as opposed to just being tested.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 42 (9,770 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I wouldn't recomend doing a Fan-Test.

I have heard that this is what Sony do when and if you send your unit in for repair, which would make sense.

And also there is no mention of it in any of the manuals or anything, I wont be doing the Fan-Test.

Just get the hoover pipe and run it along the vents, thats the best way. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 42 (9,683 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I am not sure seing as I ave a 60gb (woot!) Its like it chokes it self and almost blows up so I wouldnt recommend unless told by sony tbh.

P.S. i like the new smileys apart from the robots and weird men.

Photobucket

THIS IS NOT MOVING
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 42 (9,670 Views)
0 Kudos