12 Sep 2009
By sekhu
Playstation Staff

Limitations of an Official PS3 Headset

19 Replies 700 Views Created 12-09-2009

Hi,

I ve ordered a PS3 Official Sony Headset, but I'm not sure what it's limitations are. I would like to use it for voice chat on the PS3, say with someone on my friends list. I'd like to communicate with the individual whether we are gaming or not. What are the limitations of the device with the ps3? For example, can you only use it in conjunction with a game, or could we be playing two different games and still be able to communciate?

I use googletalk currently to communicate with my friend, and wonder if the headset has similar features as that. For example, could I communicate with the individual over a game, or without, and not let anyone else hear what is being said? Or do we have to share the conversation with the rest of the guys online?

I'd be grateful for any advice and light you can shine on this.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20 (700 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Limitations of an Official PS3 Headset

I do not use one but I can tell you there is no "cross game chat" as I have read so many whinging posts on here about it LOL
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20 (690 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

sekhu wrote:

Hi,

I ve ordered a PS3 Official Sony Headset, but I'm not sure what it's limitations are. I would like to use it for voice chat on the PS3, say with someone on my friends list. I'd like to communicate with the individual whether we are gaming or not. What are the limitations of the device with the ps3? For example, can you only use it in conjunction with a game, or could we be playing two different games and still be able to communciate?

I use googletalk currently to communicate with my friend, and wonder if the headset has similar features as that. For example, could I communicate with the individual over a game, or without, and not let anyone else hear what is being said? Or do we have to share the conversation with the rest of the guys online?

I'd be grateful for any advice and light you can shine on this.

Thanks in advance

your confuseing the Voice SERVICE aka Psn or GTalk with a peice of hardware aka the run of the mill bluetooth headset

the official headset just enables voice to be head be it VERY well in HQ mode and you to hear voice THATS IT

its the service thats sends and recices the voice 

PSN has NO personal calling or cross game chat 

there is ONLY chat rooms in game (some have personal muting but still sends to all)

then theres the private OUT of game PSN video/voice APP

PS3 is NO Gtalk but we all wish it would lol

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20 (683 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Oh, that doesn't sound very good at all. I will probably return it for a refund then.

Well, before I return it, is there a list of games it works with then? I was hoping for some coop action on uncharted 2, moden warfare 2 etc

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20 (595 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

sekhu wrote:

Oh, that doesn't sound very good at all. I will probably return it for a refund then.

Well, before I return it, is there a list of games it works with then? I was hoping for some coop action on uncharted 2, moden warfare 2 etc

All games with voice chat work with it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20 (582 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

sekhu wrote:

Before you return it dont forget that it isnt the headset that restricts these things its the ps3 itself that cant do them.

The headset will work like any gaming headset and you can commincate through most online games now a days

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20 (578 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

DeathroW22 wrote:

sekhu wrote:

All games with voice chat work with it.

pretty much any game that has online multiplayer:smileywink:

you can go into a chat room on the xmb, but you have to be out of game, it's a voice/video but you dont need a video cam. so you can talk out of game and in game if you are both playing the same game

Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20 (570 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

addyjones1234 wrote:

pretty much any game that has online multiplayer:smileywink:

I would of said that, but it isn't true for all games. GT5 Prologue has multiplayer and doesn't have voice chat, so it obviously wouldn't work with that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20 (564 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

sekhu wrote:

Don't return it.

It's the best headset on the PS3 (affordable one anyways :smileywink:)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20 (538 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TRS-T wrote:

sekhu wrote:

Don't return it.

It's the best headset on the PS3 (affordable one anyways :smileywink:)

Best Bluetooth headset on the ps3* :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20 (531 Views)
0 Kudos