06 Sep 2009
By spufter

Playstation Staff

Linking my new PS3 To my old one

10 Replies 715 Views Created 06-09-2009
I'm going to buy a slim ps3 but does anybody know if I can link it to my current one and move all my saved files over, games, films, music etc?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (715 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Linking my new PS3 To my old one

Only way i know of is moving stuff either via USB stick or external Hard drive formatted to fat32

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (707 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same here, going 2 trade in 60gig original 4 slim when can. Got 180gig hardrive in at the moment and wondered if could just swap hardrives when do get 1
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (706 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I do no that cant copy over KIillzone2 and any other game save files with copy protection
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (700 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

KEBO2 wrote:
Same here, going 2 trade in 60gig original 4 slim when can. Got 180gig hardrive in at the moment and wondered if could just swap hardrives when do get 1

No again sorry, The ps3 recognises a newly installed HD as just that. It formats it automatically.

On another note, why get rid of the 60gb machine, it's still the best of the lot imo.

I have one, and will never give it up, even when it does YLOD, It will go on a shelf and sit there looking pretty for the rest of my life. Even then, I'll shop around for a refurb 60gb to replace, I'll never give up the backwards compatability, memory card reader or the 4 USB slots for anything. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (684 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ok, chees 4 info as wasn't 2 sure about. keeping my original now as not starting again on some games. I use the extra features 2 anyway and would prob miss. Extended warranty stil got time left 2.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (648 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

What about usb to usb, would that work, maybe as a media server?.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (625 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Long answer NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. To get your save from 1 Ps3 to another Ps3 you need a USB pen or a external hard drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (616 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Also remember that some saves are locked to that PS3 so you cannot transfer them over. I think Burnout and Rock Band are ones that are locked, not had the time to transfer my saves yet.
-- PS3 60GB (FW3.15/320GB) : PS3 Slim (FW3.21/120GB) --
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote: "Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases."
18/08/09 John Kollor said "If anyone wants to use previous models and change the OS, they can do so."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (587 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Blasteroids wrote:
Also remember that some saves are locked to that PS3 so you cannot transfer them over. I think Burnout and Rock Band are ones that are locked, not had the time to transfer my saves yet.

No dude, I can't speak for rock band as I've never played that "Game", but Burnout is not locked to PS3, It's only locked to your PSN, It can be transfered to another machine that has your account on it, no problems.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (571 Views)
0 Kudos