Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Losing the 'gaming' mojo

I haven't regularly gamed on my consoles for well over a year, I play the big releases that are only on consoles (that I am interested in) and there haven't been that many. I know it can be annoying for people to be hanging around on forums and actively say they aren't into the console the forum is about, but frankly, out of all the consoles I am the most enthusiastic about the PS3, I look to the PS3 for the best games and am throughly on board with PlayStation.

But.. I just want some new hardware. This may not be a problem many people have at all, but playing on consoles is just becoming annoying. I have noticed as developers are trying to cram more graphical fidelity into their games, but they are doing so at cost of other things like FOV (field of view), they are slowly decreasing the FOV on games so that they're drawing less on screen, but what they are drawing on screen is better graphically. I don't want that, it is so annoying and really puts me off playing so many console games these days.

That and in general, games are just so low res, slow and most of the time lacking decent AA. 

Also, with the success of Call of Duty and a certain few genres, we are seeing console developers being swayed more towards these types of games, there doesn't seem to be much variety anymore in the types of games we are seeing on consoles.

I have lost my 'console gaming mojo' and it really hurts me to say that, and I feel so bad for posting this here because it comes across as just attacking the platform. But I don't think I am, I think this playstation platform is the best at what it is supposed to be doing at this moment, but I think they have dragged this generation on far too long and it is harming games, speaking as someone who also plays games on PC so sees games evolve with the hardware, even if for a large portion of the games, they aren't taking true advantage of all the extra hardware, there are just basic improvements that I want, like resolution, anti-aliasing, a decent framerate.

Console gaming becomes more and more like a chore which I force myself to do for the good console only games.  

So perhaps for some, this same fatigue isn't for the same reasons as mine, but the lack of anything new and exciting is making people lose enthusiasm. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 75 (361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm the same tbh; havent really played a game solid for a while.

tends to go in fits and starts.

PSN: FrankieADZ

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 75 (355 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Playthoseblues wrote:

Capeview wrote:

I think part of the problem boils down to too many games that people have and not enough time to play them all.

I go through this phase from time to time, but I try and get a few hours in here and there and try and stick with one game, get it finished then move on to the next. If I try and play too many games at once, I get bored because I have to remember all the details, what I was doing, how to play etc.

Stick with one game and play it through, don't try and play every single game that comes out or you may have because that can always make it feel worse.

Also, try and do something other than gaming first, and set gaming as a goal after you have achieved what you needed to do that doesn't involve gaming, clean your room, wash your car, gardening, exam work, anything, and when you have that done, you may find that the gaming is more enjoyable because you had to do something else that wasn't so easy to do.

It's what I do, and I find it works, because I then appreciate games more.

Sometimes I find those that are only interested in blasting everything and not necessarily actually listening to the story part of the game, or just tend to cut every scene because they don't want to watch them can get bored with games too. I only ever do that if I've already played a game and running through a second or 3rd time, but most times I enjoy the story as much as the game itself.

Then again, that could come from my past when Text adventures were all we had and you had to read every bit of detail to get the most out of the game. Nowadays, it's all to easy with everything done for you, and people are too easily distracted with Twitter or Facebook.

Play the game and ignore everything else, except if you have kids or a partner, for a few hrs and then do something else.

Nice post :smileyhappy:

@Ellie87 I just bought Dragons Dogma, after getting rediculously bored with Skyrim and its a great game! I'm loving it! It reminds me of Fable for some reason..

Exams are over now thankfully so I don't feel guilty when I'm playing, so I can sink some time now into Dragons Dogma! 

I think Dragons Dogma will be my next game for sure, I can probably wait to get Max Payne when the price has dropped a little bit.

I was watching someone play on DD in HMV the other day and it did look good! He probably thought I was a stalker cos I was there for ages!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 75 (347 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

TV shows and films now take more time in my life than games do per week.

Its likely because of the ondemand services that strangly the PS3 and SKY box now provide.

BBC Iplayer. ITV player,  Lovefilm, + My Sky Any time content. Have removed the dependance off Games for free time.

Both BBC and Love film have got me into a few foreign Film and TV series shows that I would have never have watched live as they were sub titled.

I will still by Multi player and long term games out right, as due to research I know the game will get new content but its getting easy to tell games that, I will be bored off very easy. Which means they will get a rental only. Rental means I get to play so many more titles for the same Price as buying a full tilte and as yet Ive not found any games that were so good I would have to buy after renting. All the renting has done is confirm that if I had spent £30 on the Full title at launch it would have been wasted...

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, chromecast... and Sky Go PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 75 (342 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

:smileyhappy:i had that once or twice it was frustrating as hell too. i got it cuz i just got too good at my games it took away all the fun just knowing what my opponents would do it got too predictable for me. i know im not exactly a professional at games but it didnt change the fact that they were getting old. but wen i started playing some of the armored core games that changed alot since every1 had a unique ac that was truly fun and i met alot of friends there. (sorry if i put too much its the first time i've replied to a forum) 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 75 (339 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

After thinking I'vegot out of losing my mojo, I've now lost interest in all the games I was having fun with again D:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 75 (311 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Theres a few games coming out this year im certain are going to be awesome, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and The Last Of Us so im sure your gaming mojo will come back eventually, personally ive never really lost it

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 75 (275 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

The Last Of Us looks amazing, I think that and Dragon's Dogma will be my week one purchases this year!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 75 (251 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think your feeling like you are because theres so many games coming out/are out now that are so similar, it'll take a new exciting game like 'The Last Of Us' to get you back into gaming, theres no doubt its going to be an amazing game seeing as its coming from Naughty Dog

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 75 (249 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Aye thats true. I just think there's such an over-saturated market at the moment, and once you buy one game another comes out and you just get a backlog.

What I've done is pick out all the games I've been randomly playing and selected 3 to play, and thats it, I can't choose any more.

I also bought Journey and hope to get into that soon- maybe that'll rekindle my excitment for games!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 75 (241 Views)
0 Kudos