24 Jun 2009
Playstation Staff

Loud fan noise from PS3?

15 Replies 1,816 Views Created 24-06-2009

If you have one, you know the drill....

Fan on level one at startup, you can hardly hear it.

After 5-8 mins fan steps up to level two

Within around 15 mins the fan is on full chat.....

from my experience this is not normal, but this is only my experience. Read on and I'll explain...

I purchased my first 40GB PS3 on December 27th 2007, and I was so chuffed with it (and so bummed as I didn't have any mates with one to play online), that I went back to the shop and bought another for a friends early birthday present.

All was fine with mine for about 6 months, quiet as a dead mouse, but then it stopped reading discs. I called Sony who were fantastic and sent a replacement out the very next day on warranty, brand new. After around 15mins I heard the fans..... I had never heard this before so I rang Sony straight away. The answer I got was that the fans are there for a reason (quite rightly so) and the noise was normal. Thing was, my old one didn't sound anything like the replacement... I tried to live with it for a few weeks (I tried everything suggested on these very forums, from fan testing, vacuuming, restoring, etc) but I couldn't, watching DVD's was a nightmare, and the couple living in the flat underneath me thought I had a fish tank pump glued to the floor..

I rang Sony again and explained it couldn't be 'normal', the room was cool, PS3 well vented, it was only on XMB, but to no avail, they couldn't replace the unit for it just being loud.... So then it suddenly stopped reading discs *ahem*, the replacement I received was also brand new and exactly the same, I tried to explain the fan noise wasn't normal compared to my other unit again, but that didn't matter, so that one couldn't read discs when I plugged it in ....

Onto PS3 number 4...... I had to wait 18 days as Sony had no stock but this seemed to work, a brand new console and it was as quiet as  I could have hoped. All was well until December (I received the replacement in July) and then, true to my luck, it stopped reading discs (for real).

Having not had much luck with the brand new consoles, and after being more than a little 'annoyed' at the whole situation, I opted for a reconditioned unit instead of a brand new one. I received No5 in good faith two days later with a fresh twelve  month warranty as a gesture of goodwill, but yet again the wind god had overpowered this unit too.... replacement ordered due to 'game freezing'.

PS3 number 6 yet again had the same problem, and being extremely annoyed by now with Sony not admitting the problem even existed, I called the helpline..

The advisor did try the usual at first 'not a problem', then he heard the noise 'first hand' and finally conceded. He said there does seem to be a fault somewhere for a small number of units but no-one is sure where, could be thermal, or something like that... But he said it affects all units, 20GB, 40GB, 60GB and all the rest....

I asked if I needed to say that it was freezing or blu-ray not working or something like that as I have had to before, but he explained that he heard the problem and that it was all he needed. He said he could guarantee the replacement would not be loud, and offered a fresh 12 month warranty, and true to his word PS3 number 7 (lucky for me!) is perfect.

Thing is, all through this the other PS3 I brought for my friend worked without fault, yet it was bought around the same time, from the same shop....

Anyways, from my experience, being one of the very unlucky ones and having first hand experience with 8 consoles I can vouch that this is not normal. If you are unlucky enough to have a loud PS3 from new then I don't believe it can be solved by vacuuming, fan testing, restoring or anything else. It is just the particular unit with this particular problem, and the only way to get rid of the problem is a replacement. However, all of the problem PS3's I had, had loud fans from new, and it didn't develop over time....so if your PS3 suddenly starts being noisy after being quiet all its life, then I suggest you follow the other advice on these forums and try cleaning as it may be overheating or something....

I really hope this helps some people save some time. Oh and the funny thing? Even though I have had these problems, lost save data from restoring copy protected data, reached my download limit on my PSN account for active PS3's, and spent £39.71 calling the Sony helpline, my love for this fantastic machine has grown to no end. I have just been one of the unfortunate ones and I accept that. My xbox was good, but not even in the same league.

Thanks for reading!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (1,816 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Loud fan noise from PS3?

this thread is incredibly stupid. PS3 HAS FANS TO COOL THEM DOWN THEY WILL MAKE NOISE FROM TIME TO TIME! ok i admit sumtimes it goes loud for no reason even in cold weather but this is stupid. if u have have 7 or 8 ps3's the problem lies with u not sony. HOW THE HELL CAN ALL OF THEM BREAK? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TAKING A BATH WITH THEM?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (1,786 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

rudboy1 wrote:
this thread is incredibly stupid. PS3 HAS FANS TO COOL THEM DOWN THEY WILL MAKE NOISE FROM TIME TO TIME! ok i admit sumtimes it goes loud for no reason even in cold weather but this is stupid. if u have have 7 or 8 ps3's the problem lies with u not sony. HOW THE HELL CAN ALL OF THEM BREAK? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TAKING A BATH WITH THEM?

Wow, read it again. I'm not saying ones that make noise from time to time, just ones that make noise all the time from new.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (1,766 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

rudboy1 wrote:

Photobucket

And no, there were faulty machines until the 80GB PS3 was released.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (1,757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Ok rudboy,calm down deep breaths
GD Trophy Hoarders Sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (1,753 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem as you gavros12. My original 60GB PS3 decided to stop reading Blu-ray discs one day. I arranged for a replacement with Sony (I'm pretty sure it was a reconditioned one.) Using it for the first time I noticed straight away the fan noise was a lot louder than my previous PS3. This really annoys me, especially when watching films. They only gave me an extra 3 month warranty with the replacement so it's out of warranty now. If anyone knows of a guaranteed fix please post, if not I guess I'll wait for a PS3 slim if one ever surfaces and ebay my current PS3.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (1,688 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

My 80gb is loud, throttles up in around 5 mintues, counted each stage the fan goes through and it is around 4.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (1,676 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

gavros have you tried ps3 fan test? it's on youtube, it can help with wiping out dust and stuff

as for your prob, sometimes fan on my PS3 is going on higher level when I'm playing games with no installs (EA games to be exact - BF Bad Company and FIFA 09) but it's occasional

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (1,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Might be something to do with the warm weather this time of year?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (1,631 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

it's not the weather, as it does it from 15mins after startup, any conditions, anytime.

i sat the other ps3 i gave to my buddy by the side of mine to make sure and sure enough mine was loud, my budddies was quiet as a mouse.

I tried the fan test - hold down eject while you power on at the rear - amongst several other things listed on Youtube and on these very forums but nothing worked. I even used an airconditioning unit to make my lounge a fridge for the day... 

If you still have warranty and a loud fan, ask sony for a replacement...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (1,592 Views)
0 Kudos