03 Aug 2011
Playstation Staff

Monitor vs. TV for gaming?

13 Replies 5,381 Views Created 03-08-2011

My real question is what is the difference between a monitor and a tv? I want to mainly play ps3 and maybe hook up my computer but is a monitor simply a TV lacking the ability to watch cable channels? Can anyone recommend a solid gaming screen 20-30 inch for under $500?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (5,381 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Monitor vs. TV for gaming?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (5,376 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

TV and monitor? nothing both same really except one you can watch shows without buying program/part for Computer
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (5,371 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (5,367 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Monitors Normal Negatives (Price of monitor will remove some of these negatives)

Aspec ratio..... is not always 16/9.

They can be 16/10 14/9 12/8 4/3 as well as 16/9, check the resolution carefully.

You will not get Pixel to pixel matching with wrong aspec ratio.

This results in wasted screen space with black boarders or distorted picture when you try to stretch the picture or picture cropped and in game display is then cropped off.

As well as being the wrong aspec ratio most don't have Component connections or scart. Not all equipment has HDMI so you can face a Component to HDMI failure, Check your equipment before you buy a monitor with out the needed ports as you may not be able to use it. (yes you said gaming but you can never be sure that you won't need at some point to connect another device EVER... )

No Freesat HD or Feeview HD built in. ( Are you 100% sure that it will only ever be used for just Games.) No Picture in picture modes.

Positives

Cheaper due to all the content missing normaly.

BBC license fee free as long as there's no other Digital decoder, you cant view or record TV shows, no BBC license required.

Monitor makers normaly have to create better build quality as they are primary for PC use but there are still normal electrical component failure to avoid if they use British components.

TVs is just the reverse of the monitors listings.

Wont recommend any thing as next month there will be a better one that drops in price and you would be moaning. ( Yes happens all the time. )

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (5,353 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Monitors normally have faster reponse times and higher resolutions. Speakers sometimes dont come included etc. However quite a few nowadays have HDMI and speakers so its all good. As for aspect ratios it doesnt really matter loads, TV's are normally 16:9.. Monitors are normally 16:9 nowadays to as they can play the whole "Full HD" thing for people looking for a HD panel to run things through the HDMI rather than having resolutions of 1980x1200. Also 16:9 is more common due to the fact cheap 16:9 panels are made for TV's currently.

For running a PC I'd go monitor > TV personally.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (5,315 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

GraphiteGB wrote:

Monitors Normal Negatives (Price of monitor will remove some of these negatives)

They can be 16/10 14/9 12/8 4/3 as well as 16/9, check the resolution carefully.

This results in wasted screen space with black boarders or distorted picture when you try to stretch the picture or picture cropped and in game display is then cropped off.

As well as being the wrong aspec ratio most don't have Component connections or scart. Not all equipment has HDMI so you can face a Component to HDMI failure, Check your equipment before you buy a monitor with out the needed ports as you may not be able to use it. (yes you said gaming but you can never be sure that you won't need at some point to connect another device EVER... )

No Freesat HD or Feeview HD built in. ( Are you 100% sure that it will only ever be used for just Games.) No Picture in picture modes.

Positives

BBC license fee free as long as there's no other Digital decoder, you cant view or record TV shows, no BBC license required.

Monitor makers normaly have to create better build quality as they are primary for PC use but there are still normal electrical component failure to avoid if they use British components.

Wont recommend any thing as next month there will be a better one that drops in price and you would be moaning. ( Yes happens all the time. )

A lot of that is actually wrong if buying a monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping and one that has a digital tuner. My Samsung T240HD moinitor has both of these. It is a 16:10 1920 x 1200 monitor which displays 16:9 1920 x 1080 (and others) perfectly.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if the monitor has HDMI input, can't it be used to watch TV through the likes of Virgin and Sky boxes connected by HDMI? My Samsung certainly allows this.

Also, even if the TV/Monitor has a digital tuner, if you don't watch it, you don't need a license. The license is for people watching live TV or TV as it's broadcast. So if you don't do those things, then you don't need a license be it if you have a monitor or TV.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (5,296 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

shawty1984 wrote:

GraphiteGB wrote:

Positives

A lot of that is actually wrong if buying a monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping and one that has a digital tuner. My Samsung T240HD moinitor has both of these. It is a 16:10 1920 x 1200 monitor which displays 16:9 1920 x 1080 (and others) perfectly.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if the monitor has HDMI input, can't it be used to watch TV through the likes of Virgin and Sky boxes connected by HDMI? My Samsung certainly allows this.

Also, even if the TV/Monitor has a digital tuner, if you don't watch it, you don't need a license. The license is for people watching live TV or TV as it's broadcast. So if you don't do those things, then you don't need a license be it if you have a monitor or TV.

you'll find that a tv license is required even for a console. linky

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (5,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

shawty1984 wrote:

GraphiteGB wrote:

Monitors Normal Negatives

(Price of monitor will remove some of these negatives)

Positives

The BBC can fine you If there are any Devices capable of live viewing or any digital decoder. If Any device PVR, DVD recorder is present in your home is capable of watching live TV . you require a TV license. The license is for the option to watch not that IF you do.  

Next year the BBC will see a license fee drop as All Analogue UHF decoders get disabled. This means Users of Monitors that dont have a Digital decoder of any kind dont pay the license fee.

This is why if you use Iplayer watch now live feature you are told to get a license fee. Your IP address is matched to location address of paying Licensed owners. 

It will be up to the BBC to hunt down users of Iplayer live who dont have a license and prove you conatantly use the live feature and then get a court to fine you. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (5,276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

annorax wrote:

shawty1984 wrote:

GraphiteGB wrote:

Positives

you'll find that a tv license is required even for a console. linky

Only if you're using it for watching or recording live TV.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (5,256 Views)
0 Kudos