03 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff

My PS2 games won't work on PS3?

19 Replies 23,736 Views Created 03-03-2012

Hi there,

I discovered when I first got my PS3 that PS2 games will not work on my PS3, and this has been a pain. Is there any way I can make them compatible with PS3? Because I've just bought this PS2 game - Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith and I want to play it on my ps3, cause the only place I have a ps2 is at my other house which has a PS2 but NO PS3.

I paid perfectly good money for my Playstation 2 Games and it makes me sad losing my favourite ones.

Zakary99.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20 (23,736 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: My PS2 games won't work on PS3?

Welcome :smileyhappy:

As far as i know, only the original 60gb ps3 had backwards compatability - it won't work on any other ps3's.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone else can confirm.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20 (23,733 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Only the Fat 60 GB EU PS3s can play Disc based PS2 software and those STOPPED production MANY years ago... 

IF you DO NOT do research you will get burned buying technology...

This is as matt said but what he failed to point out is that even the 60GB had failure to play PS2 software.

The only device that could play PS2 software 100% is a PS2... 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20 (23,708 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

GraphiteGB wrote:

Only the Fat 60 GB EU PS3s can play Disc based PS2 software and those STOPPED production MANY years ago... 

IF you DO NOT do research you will get burned buying technology...

This is as matt said but what he failed to point out is that even the 60GB had failure to play PS2 software.

The only device that could play PS2 software 100% is a PS2... 

I second this statement. PS2 slims don't cost much these days, so you can pick them up cheap. For PlayStation 3; Sony is currently uploading PS2 games via PlayStation Store and also doing an HD classics selection (PS2 games remastered in high definition) which can be playable on all models of PS3s. 

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20 (23,665 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

only the orignal 60gb ps3s can do that  and im lucky enough to have one - its Ylod once but i fixed it but now i use a ps3 slim for ps3 games

just buy a ps2 

EDIT if i remember correctly there was something on the Ps Store a while back - a emotion chip emulator 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20 (23,644 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Your not missing much. I played star wars episode 3 back on the ps2, it was really terrible. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20 (23,636 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

muppetds wrote:

EDIT if i remember correctly there was something on the Ps Store a while back - a emotion chip emulator 

Muppets, knock it off, now you know better than to spread fake US bull crap on the net.

(Yes we expect it of US users not to read the product discription:Thumbs: but you know better :Stupid:)

It was a HDD enable software Patch, to allow PS2 titles to use the HDD of the PS3 instead of an external USB HDD device... ( Socom 3 map packs and FF Game data HDD install titles for example. )  

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20 (23,621 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Don't understand why you want to play last gen games on a next gen console, and coming to ps3 so late there are loads of cheap but great games out there

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20 (23,611 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Grimn wrote:

Don't understand why you want to play last gen games on a next gen console, and coming to ps3 so late there are loads of cheap but great games out there

many people are gamers and want to play games they enjoyed  5 or 10 years ago today but without the hassle of all the equipment under the TV.

It gets a bit crowded under the TV

360, Wii, Ps3, Virgin, Sound system, separate 3D bluray player

Running out of space and ports on the TV

So it is called convenience

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20 (23,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

no you cannot.......only the fat ones play ps2 games............ the gpu(or something like that) of ps3 slim is different and does not support ps2 games...!!!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20 (23,532 Views)
0 Kudos