30 Jun 2011
Playstation Staff

My controller won't charge- possible USB problem

12 Replies 2,033 Views Created 30-06-2011
Ok so I plugged my iPod in to charge through the ps3 and something came up about USB devices, didn't quite read it in time. Now my controller and mic won't Charge when I plug them in. Any solution?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (2,033 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: My controller won't charge- possible USB problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Try connecting a device to the port while the PS3 is powered off, then power it on. If the device is still not detected then you probably have a dead port; and there is really nothing much you can do about it besides repair/replace it yourself.

Also, have you tried connecting to the other USB ports? If non of them work then you may have caused a power surge in the system. In this case I suggest you contact PlayStation Customer Service. They will probably say something along the lines of "If the USB ports are malfunctioning there isn't much you can do besides replace the system" but its worth a try.

Hope this helps.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (2,020 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

jonnyc_23 wrote:
Ok so I plugged my iPod in to charge through the ps3 and something came up about USB devices, didn't quite read it in time. Now my controller and mic won't Charge when I plug them in. Any solution?

Did you shutdown and restart the machine?

Overloading USB ports will cause the ports to stop working but this should only be temporary. Restart the machine, try just one device at a time to check if the ports still work.

You can charge your mics and controllers in a PC USB port.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (2,003 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

You can also charge them with phone chargers that have the same size USB :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (1,999 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I solved the problem last night it's the lead itself not the controller, its kinda frogged at the thick end the wee thongs inside 1s completely bent, I dunno what to do, does anyone know where can I can buy a lead that suits ps3.controllers?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (1,987 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

And you'd are all right I had to restart the system before my mic would charge, I doubt charging through the PC will work considering it's slightly damaged. And does anyone know why the led that came with my mic won't charge the controller? Thanks for your help but it looks like il have to buy another USB lead from somewhere
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (1,984 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Any 5-Pin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Mini-B cable will work.

You can get these cables at most stores which sell electronics.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (1,980 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Kl thanks
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (1,974 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I agree with GoodBytes, try and diagnose/troubleshoot the USB ports and just narrow it down. If it is a dead port then good luck replacing it :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (1,961 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm having a similar problem. BUT Since christmas i have been charging both my iPod and Controller with my ps3. I have not had any problems until last night. My XMB says "Maximum amount of power has been sent to USB devices. Remove atleast one device." I don't know what is wrong. And unless i didn't notice it all my USB stuff is in good condition. Neither of my two controllers will charge though. My friend said it might be a battery problem but one of my controllers has been used about 4 times. Will its battery screw up if i leave it dead for to long? If so then the one i have been trying to use would've been screwed up long ago.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (1,923 Views)
0 Kudos