10 Jul 2010

Playstation Staff

My playstation 3 is not working on my tv! Help! (settings on hd?)

10 Replies 2,020 Views Created 10-07-2010

Just bought a 2n hand ps3, it was shown working playing both games and blueray, worked fine on his HD tv.

Brought it home, plugged it into our normal tv and it doesn't work.

PS3 turns on but is just not found by the tv.

Am i right in thinking that the graphics are set to HD which is why our tv is not picking it up?

tried manually reseting the graphics by pressing the standby button and waiting for the beeps etc. but it didn't work.

the av cable can't be knackered as that was brand new in the packet, never been used.

Am i right in thinking that I need to plug the ps3 into a hd tv, reset the graphics to basic tv and then it should work in my own tv?

any ideas why the rest didn't work and anyting else I can try before I go on the hunt for a friend with a hd tv? thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (2,020 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: My playstation 3 is not working on my tv! Help! (settings on hd?)

When you do the display reset you do have the TV on the right channel don't you? I know its a silly question but you will be surprised how many people have the tv on the wrong av channel.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (2,025 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

You don't need to have a HD tv to restore the settings to normal TV. All you should need to do is hold down the power button when it's in standyby and when it switches on you should hear a series of beeps. I know you said you already tried this but give it another go, sometimes it doesn't work right away. :/ Failing that you might need to fiddle around with the input/output channel on your TV til you find the one you've set it to.

Twitter: @Kohl_Kitten
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (2,024 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

AV 1 is the direct route with the coloured wires, tried that and no luck, then tried through AV2 which is routed through a scart and no luck there either, and yes its always on the right channel when we try the reset.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (2,021 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

i think u r right u will need to put it thru an hdtv then change display settings to normal and check it on your non hdtv

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (2,013 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

McNeilio wrote:

i think u r right u will need to put it thru an hdtv then change display settings to normal and check it on your non hdtv

You don't have to do this, I work at GAME and we are always testing consoles that have (sometimes exclusively) been used on HD TV's on our bog standard teeny tiny portable tv! lol All you should need to do is hold down the power button from standby until you hear the beeps. If that doesn't work it's to do with your tv settings themselves and not the PS3.

Twitter: @Kohl_Kitten
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (1,971 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

switch ps3 off to standby, hold down the standby button on the ps3 to reset it to AV.
someone has already said above.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (1,964 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

av cable dont supports on some HD tv's ithink its not ps3 fault u must buy HDMI cable for %100 work..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (1,944 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

sorry to say that i tought u have HD tv... listen  playing in normal SDtv is not fun and fonts are wawing around they are too small in SDtv understand what i mean... some games works fine in sd but some games not works fine example:final fantasy 13,Tekken6,god of war 3 they dont work..... lets come to your problem first ur friend must be closed av controls in options... you must open it.. second :/ sd tv sux... :smileysad: srry

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (1,941 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

RE: Kamikaze - not everybody can afford HD Tvs right now, and SD is fine to play on, I still kick bottoms online when on my game with an SD Tv, theres not THAT much difference, and you only notice it if you've played a lot on HD before playing on SD.

RE: OP - Do the reset a few times, and as others have said, check the inputs on the tv, go through all AV channels. Also check its not a little mistake like the wrong coloured cable on the Scart lead in the wrong socket on the scart adaptor if you have that. If you've seen it working it won't have just died in transportation so don't worry :smileyhappy:

JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (1,927 Views)
0 Kudos