21 Sep 2010
By MrBeaty
Playstation Staff

New 250gb PS3 slim video output problems

13 Replies 1,337 Views Created 21-09-2010

Hello guys,

I just bought the 250gb PS3 Slim today, powered it up, set the output to 1080p and everything was all good. When I loaded up a game (tried several) I noticed some of the menus were not as sharp as I thought they would be. When I got into the game play of a game I could tell there was a problem. The graphics were horrible, really bad quality reminded of playing a launch ps2 title game. In the PS3 menu everything is fine it is just in game I am having horrid video problems. I have tried 2 different hdmi cables and I also tried on 2 different tvs, a 46" and a 23" same problem. Do you believe this could be a faulty machine, or is there a setting I am missing? Thanks for the help in advance...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (1,337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: New 250gb PS3 slim video output problems

What are your TV's ? they 1080p or 1080i etc..

Also list your A/V setup from the PS3 menu.

See where people can help.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (1,296 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (1,296 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the machine, although surly the menu should be the same which makes me think its the actual games tho.

Have you tried in 720p?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (1,294 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

re-reading the post when he mentioned Menu's i was thinking of XMB..... so you may be right it's just the game.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (1,291 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well if XMB refers to the PS3 main menu that is what I am referring to. The menu is perfectly render in HD but when I got into any game there is a degraded picture and horrid graphical models. This is in 1080p output I will try that video and see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (1,285 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yes my settings are all correct, I am going to go exchange it for another today and will give an update to see if it was the machine's problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (1,281 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I am still getting the same problems with this new system. What am I doing wrong? I tried only checking 1080p but for some reason my XMB is in 1080p and my games fault to 480p...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (1,247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

What TV you got how are you connecting it? what settings are on the TV and again post your settings of your PS3 set up? There must be something you not doing right if it affects more than one TV
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (1,222 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well I tried it on my 32" Song Bravia 1080P no luck, 46" LG 1080P no luck, and the one I want to play it on 23" Samsung LED 1080p. But it managed to look great on my 40" LG 720P (the 720p setting doesnt look that great on my other TVs, looks like SD on the others, XMB looks great on all 4 its just in game where I get the bad graphics output). Anyways here are my settings for both manual and automatic:

Automatic: Video Output Settings: HDMI > Automatic > Resolutions: 480P, 720P, 1080i, 1080P

Cross Color Reduction Filter: On
    RGB Full Range (HDMI): Full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): On

Manual: Video Output Settings: HDMI > Automatic > Resolutions: 480P, 720P (selected only this one in one test), 1080P (selected only this one in one test)

Cross Color Reduction Filter: On/Off (tried it both ways on tests)

RGB Full Range (HDMI): Limited/Full (tried it both ways on tests)

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): On

I called Sony last night and we tried alot of different stuff to no avail. I have tried 4 different HDMI cables, the current one I am using now is an 1.3 HDMI cable from Phillips. I have tried Madden 11, Uncharted 1, Infamous (all which are done in 720P) and Uncharted 2 (which does not look very good in 1080P for me, looks as though it is downgraded as well). I tried forcing only 1080P no avail, and also tried forcing 720P. I am all out of options, is the only way for me to play is on a 720P TV? I used to have a Xbox 360 that looked great in 720P on my moniter upscaled to 1080P (However I hear these systems have two different ways on upscaling games). I am lost at this point. Thanks.. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (1,212 Views)
0 Kudos