84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Other OS removed in next update?

158 Replies 1,207 Views Created 22-02-2010
Why should $ony remove that option coz 1% if the PS3 owners found a hack? GROW UP $ONY!!! The PS3 still cant play backups and I guess it never will. The Wii and xbox360 can already play backups and their sales haven't dropped so why are you so worried about a handful of PS3 owners? I say keep the OtherOS feature and IF they do find a way to play backups you will just get more sales so wont it be a good thing? I know a heap of people that don't own a PS3 and are waiting for backups to be played on it then they will all buy one. Think of all those sales you will get. I keep telling people the PS3 is the best console out of the 3 but its still too high priced and it cant play backups so its not the most sort out console. If $ony want to make the PS3 the number one console then I say leave the hackers do their thing and let a hole get through so it can play backups and you will see a huge sales increase. Dont forget the OtherOS is for the old phat consoles so anyone buying a new console cant even use that feature so its not really a threat is it? Why punish all of us for 1 persons hacking attempt? I very highly doubt all of us will be hacking our PS3's. I know I wont be. I do use Linux on it, so its a very useful feature to keep. There will be huge complaints if you remove it and a lot of people will NOT be updating their consoles so you will be loosing a lot of money from PSN. I know I wont be updating if that happens so I wont be buying anything from PSN if it comes down to loosing features. If $ony want to sell more consoles they are doing it all wrong.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
PS3 - It only DID everything, now it does A LOT LESS THAT IT DID.

Gamer, real life is just a hobby
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Lythinari wrote:

Conclusion, if you're a simple user(web browsing, email, msn, videos etc) why would you even consider using a linux operating system?

You wouldn't... and I've used many versions Linux for work and for pleasure, and that includes Server platforms... But if you were a user like the one you described, you wouldn't touch it, not even the GUI enhanced user friendly variations like SUSE.

Likewise, if you were looking for an office suite, you'd likely go MS. That's not to say it is the only one, the best one, or the easiest one to use by any stretch of the imagination... but for your average joe, it is more hassle than it is worth to go with the alternatives.

As a console user also, it interests me in absolutely no way at all to have it on the PS3.... Yes it has its applications outside your general 'put PS3 game disc in PS3, play game' and 'put bluray movie in PS3, watch movie' console roles... but seriously, if you want those things, then build a PC, and set it up to do those things...

0 Kudos

Re: Other OS removed in next update?

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
/16

smelck

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smelck
Accepted Solution

kiwiatlarge wrote:

Lythinari wrote:

Conclusion, if you're a simple user(web browsing, email, msn, videos etc) why would you even consider using a linux operating system?

You wouldn't... and I've used many versions Linux for work and for pleasure, and that includes Server platforms... But if you were a user like the one you described, you wouldn't touch it, not even the GUI enhanced user friendly variations like SUSE.

Likewise, if you were looking for an office suite, you'd likely go MS. That's not to say it is the only one, the best one, or the easiest one to use by any stretch of the imagination... but for your average joe, it is more hassle than it is worth to go with the alternatives.

As a console user also, it interests me in absolutely no way at all to have it on the PS3.... Yes it has its applications outside your general 'put PS3 game disc in PS3, play game' and 'put bluray movie in PS3, watch movie' console roles... but seriously, if you want those things, then build a PC, and set it up to do those things...

Couldn't agree more..but then I normally do..:)

However that aside I think we are creeping into some grey territory with this move....

A lot of people are obviously upset and I'm  sure we will see some form of legal action. It all boils down I suppose to what you buy, the functionality of what you buy and the ownership of both the hardware and the functionality it enables..

I'm sure Sony have covered their butts in some small print.....but as some of the analogies people have used suggest, it is a rather interesting area....

You don't hear people jumping up and down when features and functionality are added to the purchased SKU...can you imagine people complaining because X-game chat has been added and it wasn't in there out of the box at  the time of purchase..lol ? 

That aside I think it is wrong that removing other OS support comes at the cost of losing core features such as PSN access....I think it would be fair if people who wanted to keep it and not update maintained that right at least...just imo

ach..doesn't really bother me as I bought the console to play games..and tbh I have had a blast the last 3 years doing that :)

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

nyx-666

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nyx-666
Accepted Solution

NekedFaerie wrote:

As for mod chips, think about it. I brought the console so its mine and I can do what I like with it. If I want to install a modchip then I can and whos going to tell me what I can and cant do to my console? It's mine, I paid for it I will do what I like with it. Will Sony or Microsoft sue me if I install a modchip in it? WIll they sue me if I shove an axe through it? Whats the difference? It's my hardware so I will do what I like with it.

I think you need to recheck some of your 'facts'. There have been several court cases Im aware of and theres definately legislation relating to the installation of mod chips and their use.

0 Kudos

~~~
Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints to get out of bed!
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

Isnt it because the modchip modify's/reverses the OS software

which is generally a no-no in the IT world unless the software was in public domain.

:No-no:

0 Kudos

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
/16

GTR34mh

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GTR34mh
Accepted Solution

I really can't believe how some people are taking this far too seriously. Funny how all the arguments for keeping Linux have pretty much all been snuffed out, yet people still try press their broken point...

0 Kudos

BTG forums
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

NekedFaerie wrote:

As for mod chips, think about it. I brought the console so its mine and I can do what I like with it. If I want to install a modchip then I can and whos going to tell me what I can and cant do to my console? It's mine, I paid for it I will do what I like with it. Will Sony or Microsoft sue me if I install a modchip in it? WIll they sue me if I shove an axe through it? Whats the difference? It's my hardware so I will do what I like with it.

By all means you can argue whether it is your right or not to tamper with something you've purchased... (HORI stick owners tamper with and modify their sticks as soon as they take them out of the box)... but it is 'their' network, and thus their right to ban you from using it..

Also.. that is the same arguement that copyright infringers use... "Oh I bought the game/CD... I can do anything I want with it..."

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Lion-Face

• Award Winner
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lion-Face
Accepted Solution

Isn't it on the consumers hands? It is up to you to choose and accept the TOS, the agreement that you will play by the rules if you are to install the latest update. If you agree, then you are agreeing to drop Other OS support. If you don't want to agree to that, then don't accept the TOS and don't install the update...Sony are giving you the choice are they not? 

1 Kudo

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
/16

Zedimus

65%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zedimus
Accepted Solution

A passing thought...

What if Sony decided to keep the "Other OS" option even after it came to light that that the PS3 could be hacked by it.

At first the 1% of users who use "Other OS" would rejoice and cheer, the rest of us would probably say "Meh, whatever".

But then a particualy skilled hacker gets into the PSN and shuts it down.  We all now know what the result of that would be after the leap year incident, No PSN, No Trophys and restricted game access if at all.

Then 99% of users blames Sony for NOT doing somthing earlier.

When weighing up the options, regardless of local laws, Sony would be mad not to remove the "Other OS" option if the Hacking story is true.

I do feel sorry for those who legitamitly use Linux for computing but you can not blame Sony for wanting to protect thier product so 99% of its users will continue to have uniterupted access.

Yes, Sony is a company in the business of making money but there is no profit in taking this action.  Its a simple act of self preservation.

If you want to get angry and blame someone, look no further than the "Hackers", without them there would bo no problem.

Cheers.

2 Kudos

Proceed, on your way to Oblivion.
/16

ValiX

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ValiX
Accepted Solution

Zedimus wrote:

A passing thought...

What if Sony decided to keep the "Other OS" option even after it came to light that that the PS3 could be hacked by it.

At first the 1% of users who use "Other OS" would rejoice and cheer, the rest of us would probably say "Meh, whatever".

But then a particualy skilled hacker gets into the PSN and shuts it down.  We all now know what the result of that would be after the leap year incident, No PSN, No Trophys and restricted game access if at all.

Good post. You've hit the nail on the head there.

0 Kudos

Finished: KH: Birth by Sleep
Playing: KH: 358/2 Days, Rock Band 3
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

You know... they could get rid of the backwards compatibility, the SACD playback, the PS1 classics, the web browser, the media streaming... and none of it would upset me that much... IF the console can do one thing well, and that is match the 360 in it's ability to play quality games, with a decent online infrastructure.

(although it would be kinda nice to still play bluray movies as I really don't want to buy a dedicated unit just yet.. :P )

Likewise with the PSP... I would swap the ability to use skype or play 50 different video formats for some decent games... there is something to be said about jack of all trades, master of none... ;)

0 Kudos

/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
Why not make the entire console FULL PROOF. sony are u listening to me?

I have the ultimate security measure. Just get rid of the ENTIRE xmb. This way the console won't be used for video content coming under copyright law, music, photos, harrassment and weaknesses through psn and friends list, no chance in HELL of stumbling upon something online, because there will be no browser.

0 Kudos

/16

ValiX

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ValiX
Accepted Solution

smokeypsd wrote:

I have the ultimate security measure. Just get rid of the ENTIRE xmb. This way the console won't be used for video content coming under copyright law, music, photos, harrassment and weaknesses through psn and friends list, no chance in HELL of stumbling upon something online, because there will be no browser.

That's actually their master plan for PS4.

Their actually scrapping everything and going back old skool - Memory Card Manager a-la PS1

0 Kudos

Finished: KH: Birth by Sleep
Playing: KH: 358/2 Days, Rock Band 3
/16

DamageY

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DamageY
Accepted Solution

smokeypsd wrote:

By your logic, they should remove the "game" feature as it's probably the most vulnerable and buggy part of the PS3. Heaven forbid if some hackers figure out how to install homebrew software using the saved game data or something.

0 Kudos

/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
I don't understand why some people are so quick to say ohwell. lets just move on, sad but no harm done, all good sony. I couldn't give 2 tosses if 1% or 60% of ps3 owners used linux. I use it, and now I'm losing it, I paid for it and they are taking it away from me.

Nothing will convince me that Sony can just remove features from something I have bought with hard earned money and I should take it quietly. Now if the situation of hacking went beyond just 1 person, outside of geohot, tell us sony but as it stands, hackers and modders alike had gained no ground and NOTHING from what he accomplished. This is severely punishing us, the innocent end user for this ***** and it's just not right legal or not.

I will now be keeping score of my respect level for sony, it was a solid 30, now it's -20
0 Kudos

/16

DamageY

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DamageY
Accepted Solution

Zedimus wrote:

A passing thought...

When weighing up the options, regardless of local laws, Sony would be mad not to remove the "Other OS" option if the Hacking story is true.

I do feel sorry for those who legitamitly use Linux for computing but you can not blame Sony for wanting to protect thier product so 99% of its users will continue to have uniterupted access.

Yes, Sony is a company in the business of making money but there is no profit in taking this action.  Its a simple act of self preservation.

If you want to get angry and blame someone, look no further than the "Hackers", without them there would bo no problem.

Cheers.

So, are you saying that 1% of users can be ignored? Minority groups are not important to you?

You are being confused. This update will not address the security of the PSN. It would merely prevent people from installing homebrew software (if there's such a thing) on their own PS3. What if the same hacker figures out a way to bypass the security without using the Other OS feature like a web browser? Are they going to remove the web browser then?

Without hackers you would not even be using Personal Computers (e.g. Steve Wozniak) but paying companies like IBM an exorbitant money for your computing service. Even Sony themselves use (and contribute to) the open source projects that the supposed hackers have pioneered. If anything, I blame the greedy buisnessmen who broke the promise to the consumers.

0 Kudos

/16

dessy

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dessy
Accepted Solution

So when does the class action start?

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

Zedimus

65%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zedimus
Accepted Solution

DamageY wrote:

Zedimus wrote:

A passing thought...

But then a particularly skilled hacker gets into the PSN and shuts it down.  We all now know what the result of that would be after the leap year incident, No PSN, No Trophy's and restricted game access if at all.

Then 99% of users blames Sony for NOT doing something earlier.

I do feel sorry for those who legitimately use Linux for computing but you can not blame Sony for wanting to protect their product so 99% of its users will continue to have uninterrupted access.

Cheers.

So, are you saying that 1% of users can be ignored? Minority groups are not important to you?

You are being confused. This update will not address the security of the PSN. It would merely prevent people from installing homebrew software (if there's such a thing) on their own PS3. What if the same hacker figures out a way to bypass the security without using the Other OS feature like a web browser? Are they going to remove the web browser then?

Without hackers you would not even be using Personal Computers (e.g. Steve Wozniak) but paying companies like IBM an exorbitant money for your computing service. Even Sony themselves use (and contribute to) the open source projects that the supposed hackers have pioneered. If anything, I blame the greedy buisnessmen who broke the promise to the consumers.

I think you are missing he big picture.

I was not attacking you (unless you are a game hacker). 

In short, If Sony does nothing we may loose the PSN and access to most games.  Its a no brainer.

But I do feel compelled to reply to some points you have made.

1)  Thank Hackers, you are kidding right?  To cause a problem, then charge a fee from the victim to fix the problem is extortion at best.   Just imagine for a moment how cheap Games and Music would be and how fast the Internet would run without the influence of Hackers.

2)  I do volunteer work for sick and disadvantaged people, raised over $20,000 for Variety and have helped out at Lifeline. 

Just because you use a different operating system don't, and I repeat DON'T call your self a Minority and try to use phrases like "Minority groups are not important to you?".  In doing so you have offended me and in my eyes, killed any argument you may have had.

0 Kudos

/16

DualShock73

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DualShock73
Accepted Solution

Farout lol, why is everyone making a big deal out of this, its like as if Sony removed the gaming function of the PS3 lol, Its Sony's machine, they designed it and deserve every right to make changes to it in order to protect it from secuirty flaws, etc. sure you would feel the same if you created a console and someone wanted to start cracking them so they can make their own profit and you get less or $0 from now on.

Sony even stated on their site, that you can still keep the feature but, u must not update simple, doesnt take half a brain to know that ;P, not many people would use it anywayslol, go buy  a little laptop ($150-$200) if you want the feature so badly lol.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Hey it's DualShock... :D ;)

Well... the update is here ;) ... my word if that isn't the most detaile preinstallation 'caution' I've ever read at the start of the installation process.. ;)

0 Kudos

/16

Asator_MK

66%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Asator_MK
Accepted Solution

@Zedimus: http://losenotloose.com/
 (sorry, it is just me being a *****, haha)

PS3, it only does everything... Except Linux!

R.I.P OtherOS. You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

Zedimus

65%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zedimus
Accepted Solution

Asator_MK wrote:

@Zedimus: http://losenotloose.com/
 (sorry, it is just me being a *****, haha)

PS3, it only does everything... Except Linux!

R.I.P OtherOS. You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

LOL, Fair enough, I'll wear that.

Cheers,

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel