84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Other OS removed in next update?

158 Replies 1,188 Views Created 22-02-2010
Why should $ony remove that option coz 1% if the PS3 owners found a hack? GROW UP $ONY!!! The PS3 still cant play backups and I guess it never will. The Wii and xbox360 can already play backups and their sales haven't dropped so why are you so worried about a handful of PS3 owners? I say keep the OtherOS feature and IF they do find a way to play backups you will just get more sales so wont it be a good thing? I know a heap of people that don't own a PS3 and are waiting for backups to be played on it then they will all buy one. Think of all those sales you will get. I keep telling people the PS3 is the best console out of the 3 but its still too high priced and it cant play backups so its not the most sort out console. If $ony want to make the PS3 the number one console then I say leave the hackers do their thing and let a hole get through so it can play backups and you will see a huge sales increase. Dont forget the OtherOS is for the old phat consoles so anyone buying a new console cant even use that feature so its not really a threat is it? Why punish all of us for 1 persons hacking attempt? I very highly doubt all of us will be hacking our PS3's. I know I wont be. I do use Linux on it, so its a very useful feature to keep. There will be huge complaints if you remove it and a lot of people will NOT be updating their consoles so you will be loosing a lot of money from PSN. I know I wont be updating if that happens so I wont be buying anything from PSN if it comes down to loosing features. If $ony want to sell more consoles they are doing it all wrong.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
PS3 - It only DID everything, now it does A LOT LESS THAT IT DID.

Gamer, real life is just a hobby
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Lion-Face

• Award Winner
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lion-Face
Accepted Solution
Exactly, Sony are putting an end before it can start (hopefully) If the other OS support is the hole that hackers can get through and exploit , 1 hacker or 100, I don't care, my only question would be why has it taken 2 months for this update to come?! I don't want to see another PSP come out of this, and if the end result is dropping features, thats fine by me.
0 Kudos

Re: Other OS removed in next update?

Photobucket
/16

smokeypsd

91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
I'm not interested in hypotheticals though. If I was Sony I would NOT just close the door on linux outright because guess what, it's going to get worse. More people are going to be going after our wonderful black box more than ever now, simply to keep linux on, and have access to psn at the sametime, which will leave the door open for custom firmware. It's like George Bush muttering We're coming to get you, MAKING yourself a target.

Sony are going to lose whatever control they might've had with this situation, if i might deal in hypotheticals, I would've got my tech geniuses working day an night to get on this exploit pronto. This really isn't putting and end to anything, sony are actually setting in motion something here. The whole reason that the ps3 has taken this long to be hacked was that it was a semi open platform to begin with.
0 Kudos

/16

ValiX

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ValiX
Accepted Solution

I really don't see why people are complaining. If you like Linux on your big TV so much then buy (or re-use if you have one lying around) a cheapy old laptop or box, put ubuntu on it and output it to your TV. Its more flexible than using your PS3 anyway, as you're not bound by the restrictions of the PPC Architecture and restricted GFX/Memory. Plus you can upgrade the hardware to your heart's content.

Me? I use my PS3 for games and media. If I want to play an emulator or surf the web, I use my computer. If I want to do that on a big screen, then I plug my laptop into my TV and use it as a monitor.

Although I can understand people's frustration, the amount of whinging that is going on is astounding. Especially since the Linux/OtherOS functionality was significantly crippled functionality to begin with - and for the fraction of the price of a PS3, you can create your own Linux box that is infinitely more flexible.

1 Kudo

Finished: KH: Birth by Sleep
Playing: KH: 358/2 Days, Rock Band 3
/16

Fremean

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fremean
Accepted Solution

The only argument I have, and the only argument I need is it was a feature that was part of the original design spec of a device I laid $700 down on. It's a feature that I bought and paid for. It's a feature I use.

Sony have no right to remove it, I give Sony no permission to remove it.

You can argue that I have a choice - in which case I argue that Sony would then be restricting another feature of the device that I bought and paid for.

Either way, Sony are wrong.

I can't believe how many people are content to roll over and have parts removed from their console - it's not a worry for you slim users, you bought and paid for your console knowing full well there was no Other OS, and you got it at a significant discount. I PAID FOR OTHER OS!

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

So who are you guys going to hold accountable? ... seeing as you are presumably quoting Australian Laws and Acts, I would assume you'll be taking your civil law actions against Sony Australia? Better book those plane tickets to Japan instead, because like Y2010K this is a global issue...

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Beta Tester
/16

Lythinari

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lythinari
Accepted Solution

Fremean wrote:

The only argument I have, and the only argument I need is it was a feature that was part of the original design spec of a device I laid $700 down on. It's a feature that I bought and paid for. It's a feature I use.

Sony have no right to remove it, I give Sony no permission to remove it.

You can argue that I have a choice - in which case I argue that Sony would then be restricting another feature of the device that I bought and paid for.

Either way, Sony are wrong.

I can't believe how many people are content to roll over and have parts removed from their console - it's not a worry for you slim users, you bought and paid for your console knowing full well there was no Other OS, and you got it at a significant discount. I PAID FOR OTHER OS!

Easy..

Decline the license for you to use the updated software for your console.

SOOOLLLVVEEDDD!!!!

that way you not ONLY deny sony permission to remove the feature, you also get what you want.

If youre a windows user(which you clearly must be) most updates for the operating system dont even need your confirmation to install. Most updates just install automatically.

Every update to the PS3 OS asks you whether you want to update the system or not.

Its an agreement that you accept for Sony to update your console if you decline the update isnt installed.

The software would never be removed prior to the update.

If you dont agree to it, then they cant remove it. Simple.

@Deevo

From one person within the 1%

Research and Development interests on programming on the ps3 architecture.

Whether or not the system is limited, you can still do that.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Solution:

Buy a second PS3 and go online with your new slim :)

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sektanz
Accepted Solution
I like Easter eggs.
0 Kudos

/16

Deevo

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Deevo
Accepted Solution

NekedFaerie wrote:
1, thats how this forums does it. I had it all in paragraphs but the forums stuffs it up so blame $ony for having crappy forums.
2, how about READ other sites. I've read this on about 10 sites so far so its very common.
3, Backups and pirated copies are 2 different things. 1, a backup is when you own the original and a pirated version is when you dont. I have a few backups I use as I dont want to damage the originals. There is nothing illegal about playing backups. Here in Aus you are allowed to use backups.

Not much more to add as others have said all there is to say.  The source isn't actually shady but it's not an official announcement.  I read plenty of console related sites and this is barely a blip.

I agree that backups and pirated copies are two different things.  But the line blurs when you start playing your backup while loaning the original out to a friend, or vice versa.  It's a slippery slope.  I've never had to back up any of the games I have owned in 30 years.  Why this would be an issue for people in their decision to buy a console is a mystery to me. 

It's usually silly things like personal preference and games library and price....but what would I know?  I stopped working in retail 15 years ago.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

NekedFaerie

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NekedFaerie
Accepted Solution
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/Rumor-Sony-to-Remove-OtherOS...

Try there for a source. This is one of the many posts about it.

Or checkout PS3news.com or QJ.net or ggmania.com
0 Kudos

PS3 - It only DID everything, now it does A LOT LESS THAT IT DID.

Gamer, real life is just a hobby
/16

silverskull_86

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
silverskull_86
Accepted Solution

Is is just me, or does he keep on ignoring the RUMOUR part of the story?

Plus, he's also forgetting the most important thing in all of this...

0 Kudos

/16

smelck

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smelck
Accepted Solution

silverskull_86 wrote:

Is is just me, or does he keep on ignoring the RUMOUR part of the story?

Plus, he's also forgetting the most important thing in all of this...

lol....can't say that I've ever used it :)

Personally I agree with the views of the majority so further comment is wasted...

I think as we move more deeper into the realm of digital d/l media this whole area of "ownership" and copying rights will become more interesting but I agree if you own a physical hard-copy of something and you treat it with care and respect, why should you need to have a "back-up"....is it expected to last forever..not really....but with a little tlc it will last you quite often beyond the life of the hardware it was designed to play on..(I still have working Master System Cartridges and Vic 20 tapes but no hardware to play them on.....suppose I could play the tapes and listen to the screeching for old time sake)

Piracy is wrong...full stop..and does NOTHING to push the industry forward..it's theft plain and simple.

Hey even burning a CD for your mates is wrong at the end of the day and is stealing money and sales from the artist..just because it's become common doesn't mean it's ok....

lol...no comment and then a comment...ach

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel