Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Other OS removed in next update?

Solution - Dont update.

Havnt said that, I use my old PS3 for only one purpose, a webserver.

Otherwise why not just buy a 200$ laptop and install linux on it, its far

easier to install and manage applications on a linux OS that isnt a PPC

architecture.

Not to mention, not as much power consumption.

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 159 (1,390 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

To all that didn't believe me, do you now? $ony have come out and said OtherOS is getting removed in 2 days. BA$TARD$!!!
PS3 - It only DID everything, now it does A LOT LESS THAT IT DID.

Gamer, real life is just a hobby
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 159 (1,277 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

May I address the class? You're opinions make for disturbing reading. The number of people who want to keep OtherOS support appears to be small, but that's mostly bourne out of ignorance. Linux Sucks? Please! The most alarming thing is how many of you are prepared to sit back and take it, and once you've finished the first helping, why, I do believe that you will ask for seconds.

The irony is that everyone of us has seen countless movies about dystopian futures, yet scarily I see it here, in the majority of you posting in this thread. Indoctrinated into the cult of intellectual property rights. Most of you don't even know it. God didn't die he was simply replaced by mega-corportaions, who no longer issue commandments from the top of mountains, but slip them into release notes and leaked rumours on public forums.

FatMasarati is even prepared to brick up his windows to aid his masters in keeping their property safe. No, not his property, he gives the corporation it's power through donations of wealth ($$) in return for license agreements which favour the corporation.

Will Sony take away our OtherOS? Yes. Will we do anything about it? No. Will it matter? Does anything?

This isn't a movie about a dystopian future, and I'm not the protagonist. I'm going to eat my ***** sandwhich just like the rest of you, and when I'm done, I'll ask for seconds.

Just do as you're told!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 159 (1,269 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Notice: Cross post - Sorry, I didn't see this thread first.

----

I am from a hacker community - not necessarily the bad side that everyone seems to be afraid of.

I am a person who got a new phone, promptly downloaded the firmware on it and customized it well beyond what the original design and specifications for customization were.

I code in several different languages and make software, and hardware tools do my bidding daily.

However, I do not partake in acts that would breach any agreement I have made with anyone (for example, hacking Sony firmware or hardware) or would be illegal.

-

Now, having said that.

I'm of the firm belief that this firmware release from Sony may run foul of the ACCC and the Australian Trade Practices Act.

The Australian Trade Practices Act states

• The goods must be of merchantable quality. That is, they must meet a basic level of quality and performance, taking into account their price and description. They also should be free from defects that were not obvious to you at the time of purchase.
  • The goods must be fit for their purpose. That is, they should do what they are supposed to do and be suitable for any purpose that you might have made known to the supplier.
  • The goods must match the description you were given or the sample you chose from. For example, any carpet laid must be the same quality and colour as the sample you chose from.
  • You must receive clear title to the goods, including goods bought at auction. In other words, you can expect to own the goods outright and any restriction on ownership should be explained to you beforehand.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815360

The act makes a very good analogy using carpet. I however propose one more applicable to Sony and this update.

Sony have sold me a Playstation 3 unit capable of being used with the OtherOS feature - legitimately half the reason I purchased such an expensive device. Sony are now removing that feature, decreasing my purchase value by half.

This is akin to selling me a table with 4 legs, and then coming into my house some time later to remove 2 of them.

Yes, they give me the ability to ignore this update, but doing so will break OTHER features of my system - that I have paid for.

So that's a choice of which two legs would I like Sony to remove.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to Sony and the ACCC regarding this news - it's not hard to see that Sony are quite probably in breach of these laws as the device I purchased is clearly labeled and sold for uses that will be disabled after this update.

--

Further based on what I've read here - the box was clearly marked as being able to run other operating systems, that was clearly a factor in my decision to purchase the device, if it was marked "We may decide to remove this feature at a later date" I wouldn't have made this purchase.

This modification DOES change the suitability of the device for a purpose and does put it at odds with the material it was marketed with.

--

Edit: Official source - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

Also note, I do not believe format shifting (transfering from CD to MP3) to be legal, I also suspect that recording from TV and Radio however tollerated or unenforced is not legal

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 159 (1,265 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
3 Kudos
Message 35 of 159 (1,251 Views)
3 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

TuxInvader wrote:

May I address the class? You're opinions make for disturbing reading. The number of people who want to keep OtherOS support appears to be small, but that's mostly bourne out of ignorance. Linux Sucks?

What are you basing that on.

Particullary directed at your last statement.

Its very different sure if you are used to Windows or OSX

but fact remains its faster than both, more stable and has a massive

level of community support

(which beats corporate support hands down).

If you mean it sucks for games then sure but thats not why

people use linux

EDIT: LMAO @ Silver and Kudos accordingly :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 159 (1,228 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

The lolcats told me this thread bump would happen.... :Reindeer:

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 159 (1,214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Personal opinion windows actually sucks more than linux/os x.

Not that I care for the OS to be removed.

Easy to lock up the operating system and bsod, especially if you are modding programs.

No case sensitive naming convention

No pre-installed iso mounting

No encryption(may have changed in 7)

Only recently added pre-installed back-up utility

User permission only for simple users.

File and Folder permissions limited

Crummy Help Results

Crummy Search Results

Difficult interface for doing advanced tasks(even more so with vista and seven)

Having said that, I went from windows to *nix and then onto OS X.

The only real advantage of using windows is that there is more software available to install on it.

If you wanted software to operate based on components in your computer, it was far easier to work on in linux than a windows system.

Conclusion, if you're a simple user(web browsing, email, msn, videos etc) why would you even consider using a linux operating system?

O|¯|_ orz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Please use plain text.
1 Kudos
Message 38 of 159 (1,193 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Lythinari wrote:

Conclusion, if you're a simple user(web browsing, email, msn, videos etc) why would you even consider using a linux operating system?

You wouldn't... and I've used many versions Linux for work and for pleasure, and that includes Server platforms... But if you were a user like the one you described, you wouldn't touch it, not even the GUI enhanced user friendly variations like SUSE.

Likewise, if you were looking for an office suite, you'd likely go MS. That's not to say it is the only one, the best one, or the easiest one to use by any stretch of the imagination... but for your average joe, it is more hassle than it is worth to go with the alternatives.

As a console user also, it interests me in absolutely no way at all to have it on the PS3.... Yes it has its applications outside your general 'put PS3 game disc in PS3, play game' and 'put bluray movie in PS3, watch movie' console roles... but seriously, if you want those things, then build a PC, and set it up to do those things...

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 159 (1,164 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

kiwiatlarge wrote:

Lythinari wrote:

You wouldn't... and I've used many versions Linux for work and for pleasure, and that includes Server platforms... But if you were a user like the one you described, you wouldn't touch it, not even the GUI enhanced user friendly variations like SUSE.

Likewise, if you were looking for an office suite, you'd likely go MS. That's not to say it is the only one, the best one, or the easiest one to use by any stretch of the imagination... but for your average joe, it is more hassle than it is worth to go with the alternatives.

As a console user also, it interests me in absolutely no way at all to have it on the PS3.... Yes it has its applications outside your general 'put PS3 game disc in PS3, play game' and 'put bluray movie in PS3, watch movie' console roles... but seriously, if you want those things, then build a PC, and set it up to do those things...

Couldn't agree more..but then I normally do..:smileyhappy:

However that aside I think we are creeping into some grey territory with this move....

A lot of people are obviously upset and I'm  sure we will see some form of legal action. It all boils down I suppose to what you buy, the functionality of what you buy and the ownership of both the hardware and the functionality it enables..

I'm sure Sony have covered their butts in some small print.....but as some of the analogies people have used suggest, it is a rather interesting area....

You don't hear people jumping up and down when features and functionality are added to the purchased SKU...can you imagine people complaining because X-game chat has been added and it wasn't in there out of the box at  the time of purchase..lol ? 

That aside I think it is wrong that removing other OS support comes at the cost of losing core features such as PSN access....I think it would be fair if people who wanted to keep it and not update maintained that right at least...just imo

ach..doesn't really bother me as I bought the console to play games..and tbh I have had a blast the last 3 years doing that :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 159 (1,142 Views)
0 Kudos