24 Feb 2012
Playstation Staff

PS2 classics on PS3

10 Replies 3,172 Views Created 24-02-2012

Hi,

So on Wednesday I did my usual 'look around the store when its updated and download Free DLC' and I saw on the front page that there are PS2 classics! I clicked on that and saw a couple of PS2 games. Im glad that Sony finally did that because my PS2 broke and I have a PS3 slim and I can't play my PS2 discs. Also I like new stuff anyway

Since I know PS3 slims cant play them, can downloadable PS2 games be playable? Also do I need to create a PS2 internal memory card to store my data?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (3,172 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS2 classics on PS3

I am pretty sure slims can play the ps2 classics on psn, as for having to create a ps2 memory card to save games, my best guess would be yes you would have to.

Ni72ous
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (3,164 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

mh637099 wrote:

Hi,

So on Wednesday I did my usual 'look around the store when its updated and download Free DLC' and I saw on the front page that there are PS2 classics! I clicked on that and saw a couple of PS2 games. Im glad that Sony finally did that because my PS2 broke and I have a PS3 slim and I can't play my PS2 discs. Also I like new stuff anyway

Since I know PS3 slims cant play them, can downloadable PS2 games be playable? Also do I need to create a PS2 internal memory card to store my data?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Are you saying Sony put PS2 games on the Store but are unplayable on a PS3 :Confused: Why else would they be there? 

The games are emulated so any downloaded work on the PS3, but only downloads. Disc based games remain the same as you said.

As for the memory card I do not know as I haven't bough a PS2 game yet. But its not going to hurt to make an interal memory card up before you start a new game so you dont find out several hours into a game you cant save because you didn't make one.

Common sence TBF :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (3,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Each PS2 game on the Store has it's own emulator.

So yes they work from PSN.

Memory Card DATA creates it's own save system that does not use the memory card PS2 format,

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (3,135 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

mh637099 wrote: 

Since I know PS3 slims cant play them, can downloadable PS2 games be playable?

Yes, but several of them won't run as intended as the PS3 isn't really powerful enough to emulate a PS2, so expect some frame drops here and there. This is especially noticeable in Virtua Fighter 4 where timing is extremely important.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (3,132 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Thank you so much. 

Sent via my PS3

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (3,089 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Does anyone know if these are at all visually remastered? Are they at a higher resolution or will they become blurry on a large screen like my old PS2 did?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (2,720 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I don't think they are remastered unless it states it in some way ie, "HD" added to the end of the title

Ni72ous
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (2,715 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks.

It's a shame that the PS2 classics on the store haven't had as much effort put into them as HD classics, but if the games were great back on PS2 slightly aged grahics shouldn't mean they aren't playable and enjoyable today.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (2,674 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

joeskaiter wrote:

Does anyone know if these are at all visually remastered? Are they at a higher resolution or will they become blurry on a large screen like my old PS2 did?

Not at all, they haven't changed a bit. It's the original PS2 games you download.

They are a bit less blurry on a large flat screen compared to the PS2 though. The HDMI cable give a lot better result than SCART cable or a composite video cable.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (2,663 Views)
0 Kudos