when i mean read i mean laser light comes on but dont actually load anything
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 24 (3,193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: PS3 40GB CECHG03

so its more than likley the laser

now is the hard question which 1?

i've read a few places that they used a double laser in some of there 40gb models

and visa versa

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 24 (3,190 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

raven2008 wrote:

so its more than likley the laser

now is the hard question which 1?

i've read a few places that they used a double laser in some of there 40gb models

and visa versa

visa versa? You mean they used double 40GB models for a single laser? :smileywink:

If the laser actually turns on, chances are it's just misaligned. I don't know much about the workings of the bluray, but it could be possible to just realign it (however that's done).

Message Edited by time travelling space smurfs on 2028-03-22 07:49 PM

Facts of the moment:
"My PS3 is not fat, it's just big boned."
"The console war is as real as the war on terrorism."
"The wizards first rule applies to both YLOD and the SLIM."

"Tons of trophies doesn't say you're a great gamer, it says you have too much free time."

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 24 (3,178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

The 40gb machines were is the model that to date, has had by far and away the most issues with the Blu-ray drive. The 60gb has 2 lasers. 1 for blu-ray, and the other for DVD, CD and SACD. In the revised 40gb machines they used just one lasers, a much cheaper blu-ray one that read DVDs and CDs as well as Blu-ray, however they turned out to malfunction after so much use, and Sony recalled alot back in. These were then replaced with new drives. Some were the much more expensive drives used in the 60gbs, whilst the majority were replaced with single laser drives again, but this time with a more robust Blu-ray laser. Now despite all of this, with your model, first of all are you sure its a hardware issue? The reason i ask is that the drive itself is mechanically working and the Blu-ray laser is trying to read the disc. First i would check to see if its down to software. It could just be that the driver software in the PS3 has become corrupt and just needs reinstalling. To do that, have a look at the link below. If that does not work, I would suggest posting this in the Technical Help section, the guys there will help you out im sure! http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&thread.id=28562&page=1
Alan Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 24 (3,173 Views)
0 Kudos