11 May 2012
By: BrigadierA Member 621 Posts
Level 3

PS3 Backup - should I be worried?

12 Replies 597 Views Created 11-05-2012
I've bought a 1tb replacement hdd for my original ps3 which is already upgraded from a 60gb to 320gb drive. I formatted one of my 1tb external hdd to fat32 using the fat32format utility, sync'd my trophies and then started the backup utility on the ps3. The utility started to work and after 5 minutes errored and stopped. :smileysad: I thought I'd try again and it has been running for 30 mins so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed now - 3% done and 9 hours to go. Anybody had any recent experience (good or bad) in backing up and restoring a large amount of data (my 320gb drive only had 1gb free)?
Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s, 3 PSPs and a Vita all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (597 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Re: PS3 Backup - should I be worried?

Whats not posted in most back up threads is that you should do a HDD file structer repair from the PS3s recovery menu  (google) first. This will show up any lost, incomplete deletion of files and currupted files.

This allows you to Delete them again. These files can crash a back up attemp if not corrected.

As normal the bigger the drive the longer the backup.

The PS3 is not just backing up. its also encrypting the back up file so PCs can't do any thing with it. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Woke up this morning to find that the backup has finished - 262gb backed up. I'm going to proceed and hope the restore goes okay now. Fingers crossed the initial error was just a hiccup.
Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s, 3 PSPs and a Vita all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (539 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Damn, it reached 58% on the restore and has been sat at that amount for over an hour now. :smileysad: Not sure what to do now...

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (514 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

I transferred 250gb to a 320gb hard drive a few days ago using the PS3 transfer utility. It said it will take 4 hours. But it took about 18 hours. So am guessing yours will take longer.

PS4 best console ever! Deep Down Exclusive, Drive Club Exclusive, Planetside 2 PS4/PC Exclusive YEAR OF THE PS4!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]
It seems to have got stuck at 58% again, but I'm going to leave it over night as it hasn't errored yet to see if it gets any further. The ps3 disk light is on pretty much constantly, but the external hdd is only flashing now and again.

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (488 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]
Hmm, well it's apparently still going, it's now on 68%. However the first 58% took 6 hours to complete, but the last 10% took 9.5 hours. If it carries on at that rate it will take another 30 odd hours!!!

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (470 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Went out this afternoon and it only reached 71%. Was about to give up and it's done a sudden spurt and is now on 86%, but has gone into slow mode again. I wonder what is slowing it down? I'm guessing it's the large amount of small files rather than the games installs. Could it be the hundreds of saves that I left on there? Or is it the themes which I kept hitting the maximum amount on?

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (444 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Restore completed!!! Just in time for the end of the weekend!! At least I made the most of the lovely weather this weekend and I now have enough room for more PS+ goodies :smileyhappy:

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (438 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Nearly pooped myself when my Skyrim trophies came up as 1% instead of 97%, but tried another sychronisation and they came back. Sony should definitely make this process smoother for any future ps!

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (427 Views)
0 Kudos