Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Fan test ..

Iv'e got the 160GB limited edition ps3 and i wanted to check if it would work or damage my system. IT NEEDS CLEANING!!

:Sniper:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 42 (2,981 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Has there been any official word from Sony on this ?

I've seen around 10 different forums on the net now and each one has a lot of people with conflicting opinions. This matter needs Sony to come out with a definitive answer on whether or not it's safe.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 42 (2,751 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

"According the french site UltimatePS3, PS3 Fan Test can damages your
system, the fans speeding up is a fail safe trying to get the bottled
up heat out of the system, this can burn your CPU and GPU, this is
confirmed by Sony."

Not enough? Maybe I should remove the french part and put "Confirmed by Sony" before the whole text?

I've used the feature a few times on my old 40GB but never on my 120GB Slim, never felt the need. I wouldn't say it's too bad if you're console hasn't been turned on, so it can't be hot, but if you've had it running for several hours then do the "Fan Test" then you may put your console in danger. I have no proof, it's just common sense to me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 42 (2,746 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

A french website say that it was confirmed by Sony ? No, that's not enough. I want to see something written by a Sony representative either on the Sony website, the PS3 website or on these forums!

Maybe I said it was confirmed by Sony, maybe my dog said it... Maybe Elvis Presley said it. A french website saying it was confirmed by Sony means nothing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 42 (2,727 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah because they are french and they don't know what they're doing... Right.. Even though it has been confirmed by Sony...

...I call racism. Yeah.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 42 (2,715 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ignore all the crap and look at it for what it is .
it blows the fan on full whack for about 10 seconds. thats not going to break your machine . the same as it wouldnt break any other machine . nearly every custom built has pc has fan control. and the fan running at full whack is supposdly a failsafe to stop over heating . then mines been sitting on the brink of death for the last 18!!!!! months as mine is running on one of the higher setttings all time ....its fan it blows air .
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 42 (2,703 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Nothing to do with them being French, I'd just prefer to see something written by Sony before I go and do something potentially damaging.

I don't see how it's gonna cause anything to overheat. If I did the fan test after the console has been stood in a cold room overnight it's not going to magically overheat in 10seconds. Surely the fans spinning at max revs would keep the insides of the console cooler anyway ?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 42 (2,701 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

VoXeR_91 wrote:
 I wouldn't say it's too bad if you're console hasn't been turned on, so it can't be hot, but if you've had it running for several hours then do the "Fan Test" then you may put your console in danger. I have no proof, it's just common sense to me.

And that's what I said in my first post.. Guess you don't read at all then..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 42 (2,694 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Okay, electronics run at peak efficiancy at 32 degrees.

You DON'T WANT your PS3 to hit critical temperatures (75 degrees up).

A fan test will NOT hurt your PS3. It's FANS for xs sake.

Think about it - Your PS3 is cookin at 90 degrees. A fan blowing around that is blocked is just moving hot air around - hot air that's already in contact with everything in the case!

Now, why would your fan be blocked? They're not.

Optimal cooling is based on three fans in a tube.

Fan 1. Intake.

Fan 2. Outtake.

Fan 3. Heatsink.

The first two fans are on the outside of the case, the third fan is blowing at a heatsink. A standard heatsink is a method of aircooling through heat dissipation. The heat from the cpu/gpu is conducted through the thermal paste, and into the fins of the heatsink. A fan blowing at this heatsink increases the rate of cooling by removing the hot air from around the fins and lets the fins transfer more heat from your cpu/gpu.

Don't believe everything you hear! "The French" and "Sony Said So" aren't compelling enough arguments. Unless SCE wants your system to be dusty (which leads to heat INSULATION) or overheat (which leads to burnt chips and lost solder joints) so they can collect on the repair fee, which I don't think they're doing, people are leading you astray.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 42 (1,388 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I tried the fan test ages ago, it was because of the amount of dust I could see through the cooling vents, also the fan developed a loud whirring noise. I was told it spins out dust from the fan bearings which is a known cause of loud fan noises, My model is the 40GB which I've owned from new about four years ago. Anyway I tried it and it worked perfectly, not only did it remove all the visible dust from inside the machine, it fixed the loud fan noise. Ohh! I nearly forgot, I tried it on my mates 120GB slim and it worked just fine, the only difference been that there is no off switch at the back so you must use the plug socket switch in place of the power off switch.

P.S I'm not claiming that it's safe to do, just that I had no issues with it on a 40GB or a 120GB PS3!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 42 (1,360 Views)
0 Kudos