PS3 General

19 Sep 2012
By: Bearskopff Beta Tester 9073 Posts
Level 6

PS3 Gets Smaller & Lighter: Hands-On

124 Replies 2287 Views Created 19-09-2012

PS3Banner.jpg

Hands-On with the new PS3

As you're all likely aware by now, the new model PS3 was announced earlier at TGS where the internet was quickly swarmed with banter and pictures galore. Luckily for me however, I've spent this morning inspecting every nook and cranny of the console first-hand and have written up a brief hands-on of the unit for you lovely people! How nice is that eh?

PS3MChassis_sc03.jpg

What isn't initially obvious from the images floating around the blogosphere, is the location of the power button. Whilst the eject is easy enough to spot, the power button is in fact completely parallel. Located on the far right side (of the above image), you simply push the long protruding button inward and behold, the shiny new console is alive with the sound of...well, very little actually. Barely a hum!

Pressing the eject button, naturally, opens the slide panel on the top of the console allowing you to plonk in whatever game or film you fancy, and then it's simply a case of manually sliding the panel back to its original position!

PS3MChassis_sc02.jpg

With two units available, some of you might want to eventually insert your own mega-huge hard drive and it couldn't be easier. Standing the console up-right, you simply pop the panel off the top of the unit giving you access to the wonderful world of HDD's and caddies. The days of undoing screws are but a distant memory!

What's particularly difficult to tell from the majority of the images is the actual size of the unit. The best way to really explain it, is using the previous consoles as reference and follow these easy steps:

1. Acquire an original PlayStation 3
  2. Squish it until it's the same length of the current PS3 models
  3. Squish it a bit more
  4. Press down on it a little
  5. Bit more
  6. Yep! That's it!

Alternatively, click the image below for a handy size reference!

It's also incredibly light, so if you have the inclination to mosey over to a friends, or maybe you really can't settle on the feng-shui of your living room, there's no fear of back-strain from lifting this little fella up!

PlayStation (CECH-4000 series)

• Product name - PlayStation 3
  • Release date - UK: September 28th, 2012 (HDD 500GB), October 12th , 2012 (Flash Memory 12GB)
  • Product code - CECH-4000series (Charcoal Black / Classic White)
  • CPU - Cell Broadband Engine
  • GPU - RSX
  • Audio output - LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
  • Memory - 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
  • Storage size - CECH-4000A: Flash Memory 12GB, CECH-4000B: HDD 500GB1
  • Inputs/Outputs - USB 2.0
  • Networking - Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1, IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
  • Controller - Wireless Controller Bluetooth
  • AV output - Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
  • HDMI OUT connector - 1
  • AV MULTI OUT connector - 1
  • Digital out (optical) connector - 1
  • BD/DVD/CD drive (read only)
  • Maximum read rate - BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
  • Power - AC 220 - 240, 50/60Hz
  • Power consumption - Approx. 190W
  • External dimensions - (excluding maximum projecting part ) Approx. 290 × 60 × 230 mm (width × height × length)
  • Mass - Approx. 2.1kg
  • Included - PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DualShock 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1

So then PlayStation folk! Will you be picking one up yourself, or perhaps you have some questions that I might be able to answer? Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Bear

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 125 (2,287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: PS3 Gets Smaller & Lighter: Hands-On

Are you planning on cleaning it after you've put your hands on it? :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 125 (2,266 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

I think you should give it away in a contest, you could call it "Guess Warren Jeeves' correct full name and win a super slim"
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 125 (2,238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

Are you planning on cleaning it after you've put your hands on it? :smileytongue:

Absolutely not! The console is physically stuck to my hands now! Should really have a wash soon...

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
I think you should give it away in a contest, you could call it "Guess Warren Jeeves' correct full name and win a super slim"

Gertrude Finklenickel?

Just to add, clicking any of the images in the post should ferry you off to the world of 'HIGH RESOLUTION' if that's your thing/thang :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 125 (2,209 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

But I've seen somewhere else that it's the other way round, 12 flash drive or whatever it is, is released in September, and the 500GB in October.

This flash drive thing, is that basically the equivalent of the 4GB Xbox? I don't understand xD
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 125 (2,206 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I was planning to get the 12GB version to replace an old fat, but with a price of £185 which is the same as a 160GB I'll wait until it gets to a reasonable price of £140-£150.

Can the 12GB version take any 2.5" SATA hard drive like previous models ?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 125 (2,187 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 14

[ Edited ]

xElfenLied wrote:
But I've seen somewhere else that it's the other way round, 12 flash drive or whatever it is, is released in September, and the 500GB in October.

This flash drive thing, is that basically the equivalent of the 4GB Xbox? I don't understand xD

12gb is out on the 12th October according to one irish retailer (edit : and on the wall-of-specs in Bears post!)

Me thinks they've overpriced the 12gb version. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 125 (2,180 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

xElfenLied wrote:

From what I gather from this mornings convo is the console with flash memory, has a bay for expansion but will require the purchase of the caddy and the appropriate HDD. As for the release dates, the only one I've been hearing is the 28th September :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 125 (2,167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Bearskopff wrote:

xElfenLied wrote:

From what I gather from this mornings convo is the console with flash memory, has a bay for expansion but will require the purchase of the caddy and the appropriate HDD. As for the release dates, the only one I've been hearing is the 28th September :smileyhappy:

so if i was to buy the 12GB model, i wont be able to put my 500GB drive out of my fatty in there?

if thats the case then that is quite pathetic. if theres no difference between the two models except the storage then that is very annoying because i already have a 500GB hdd in my current 80gb fatty and do not wish to spend a fortune gettin the 500GB new model.

i want to save money by getting the 12GB model and simply use my 500GB hdd.

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 125 (2,139 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

you've got to push the disk drive cover back yourself??? :smileysad:

|¬_¬|™
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 125 (2,117 Views)
0 Kudos