PS3 General

PS3 General

31 Jul 2008
By: Ukruler54321 Member 198 Posts
Level 2

PS3 Hard Drive Rebuild What does it do?

6 Replies 10270 Views Created 31-07-2008

Hello one and all

Earlier today I started up PS3 and a message came up saying "Hard Disc Drive Rebuild" all I could do was press X on OK and the the HDD was rebuilt when the process was complete the console rebooted, then I checked that no data was deleted and all data was 100% fine.

So what did the console do to the HDD?

Thanks for the answer to the question 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (10,270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: PS3 Hard Drive Rebuild What does it do?

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure how the internal file system for the PS3 is but basically.

You manually organise your files on a PC, right?

Well, the PS3 recreates a database to log were all the files are and were to be located on the hard drive.

It also organises them into the categorys (Game, Video, Music, Photo...) dependant on file type by scanning itself.

Imagine it like a iPod.  It has a database so when you click a song, it knows were to look on the HDD for it.

Message Edited by hypedupmonkey on 31-07-2008 08:00 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (10,236 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

yeah sounds like some sort of defrag process. Never heard of it before though.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sig courtesy of ninjaowen
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (10,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

hypedupmonkey wrote:

I'm not sure how the internal file system for the PS3 is but basically.

You manually organise your files on a PC, right?

Well, the PS3 recreates a database to log were all the files are and were to be located on the hard drive.

It also organises them into the categorys (Game, Video, Music, Photo...) dependant on file type by scanning itself.

Imagine it like a iPod.  It has a database so when you click a song, it knows were to look on the HDD for it.

Message Edited by hypedupmonkey on 31-07-2008 08:00 PM

Okay it sounds like the PS3 will do this process ever 10 months or so because that is how long I have owned my PS3. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (10,213 Views)
0 Kudos

ive had the same thing happen to me i would love if anyone could tell me if its a big problem or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Frown::Sniper:  

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (9,164 Views)
0 Kudos

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago.  A message came up saying I had to do a disk rebuild.  This was the first time I got that message in the two years I have owned the system.  I clicked ok and it rebuilt the disk.  After it was finished my playstation 3 would no longer read the games, blurays, dvds, or cds.  The game spins in the system for a few minutes and that is all it does.  I can no longer play games after I clicked ok to rebuild the disk

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (9,106 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

The builders come in and rebuild the hard drive, this is all i can think of because when i tried it it took ages and sometimes failed on my old 60g, maybe they were on a tea break typical, here to do a job and never finish.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (9,095 Views)
0 Kudos