19 Dec 2009
Playstation Staff

PS3 OS memory footprint slashed

15 Replies 4,218 Views Created 19-12-2009

One of PS3’s original memory weaknesses was its large Operating System memory footprint, but it has once again been slashed. The console originally had an OS footprint of around 120MB’s spread accross both the XDR and DDR Ram, which was soon reduced to 96MB (64MB on XDR and 32MB on DDR).

Compared to the Xbox 360’s total 32MBs used for its OS, the PS3’s was incredibly bloated. And lets face it, PS3 developers needed as much as memory as they could get. However, according to Sony’s latest documents, the PS3 is now only using 50MBs for its OS, despite the addition of many new features, such as the in-game XMB. 7MBs of local memory is used, alongside 43MBs main memory.

So how have they been able to reduce the memoy usage while also adding features? The answer is actually in that very question. Unlike Microsoft, who knew what features they were going to use their memory for, Sony was still in the deveopment stages when they launched the PS3. Therefore, they reserved a big bunch of memory for future features development – once they locked these down they were able to continuously give memoy back to developers, while also refining each new feature’s memory usage.

If Sony had discovered a feature that they wanted to implement later in the game, but found that it would use far too much memory, they would be unable to increase the OS memory, since it would mess up many a video game that was using this memory.

Sony may have also cut down memory usage by making a number of features optional, such as in-game music, which they may have removed from the default OS memory footprint.

Source

Full and long interesting PDF here

This was what naughty dog was talking about 3-4month back.. :smileysurprised: :smileyhappy: i knew it.. FW2.80 Dammnn you to hell hehe :smileytongue:

uh nice Ps3 dev kit ONLY €1700 :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy: :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (4,218 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 OS memory footprint slashed

[ Edited ]

Memory is so ***** cheap these days i dont get why consoles dont just stick a few extra gig of memory in to kinda future proof themselves.. 

Im sure theres probably a reason why and im sure some techy bod will explain it...

Hell or why they dont have an option for memory upgrade on back, then you can have xmb bits that require mem upgrade..

"Play you like a violin, I did."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (4,164 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

TheNomadic1 wrote:

Memory is so ***** cheap these days i dont get why consoles dont just stick a few extra gig of memory in to kinda future proof themselves.. 

Im sure theres probably a reason why and im sure some techy bod will explain it...

Hell or why they dont have an option for memory upgrade on back, then you can have xmb bits that require mem upgrade..

many things to take in a count ... 1 the ps3 was made 3-4 years ago.. (lets say the first prototype) at that point DDR3 etc was the lastest and gratest (maybe cheap if you buy s loads of them) then you call up samsung etc who ever made the memory and ask if the can make 20-30million units at what price !? then testing .. you have to think of the ps3 as a produkt that's being mass produced... and to make a console with that tech at a price of $299 is just out of this world..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (4,150 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

So why not have a memory upgrade feature, you know an additional memory card you can slot in, that way when they add these optional extras to XMB they can come with the warning that some games may not work while this is installed unless you have the memory expansion..  (hell its even another add onn people will spend cash on, hell games could be written to take advantage of the extra memory if its installed too)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (4,132 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

That's a very good news indeed. Therefore developers now can make games better for the PS3 - detailed textures, and better lighting, etc.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (4,124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

TheNomadic1 wrote:

So why not have a memory upgrade feature, you know an additional memory card you can slot in, that way when they add these optional extras to XMB they can come with the warning that some games may not work while this is installed unless you have the memory expansion..  (hell its even another add onn people will spend cash on, hell games could be written to take advantage of the extra memory if its installed too)

because its not a problem, the SPUs can handle that stuff.. and the problematic to get the information out to the end-user lets say 10year old bob that he has to buy more / extra memory just to play frogger or whatever would not go over well.... plus they would have to redesign the ps3 add memroy slot etc / have a techguy update the firmware every week do to the new memory out there every week..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (4,121 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Gamerwillz wrote:

That's a very good news indeed. Therefore developers now can make games better for the PS3 - detailed textures, and better lighting, etc.

yeah its what they did with the Uncharted 2 beta right before/after/with Firmware 2.80 :smileyhappy: :smileytongue: :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (4,124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

great news:smileyhappy:

Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (4,112 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

*sigh*
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (4,102 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine who works for Konami, was telling me of the meeting they had with microsoft about MGS4, with microsoft saying they wanted it and how much..  Konami refused point blank just saying that they couldnt develop it for XBOX as the XBOX just isnt capable enough and it would require at least 9 dvds..   That said they did cede some ground to the huge we want it wads of cash from Microsoft for the next verison... Lets hope the ps3 version isnt dumbed down to cope with xbox..

I wasnt really thinking about games requiring the extra ram, but having the ability to detect it so they can load more into memory and speed up loading times, cuz if im honest i find PS3 load times to be annoyingly slow at times..

Hell with the extra ram you could just have home as your startup, when they complete it as it was advertised, with everyhting available in your appartment, you would never need use dashboard again..   Just a thought anyhow..

4th gen consoles im sure will have a lot more memory as well as having SSD's, I wonder if we will get to the stage where you dont need a Blu-ray with games coming on EPROMS now we have the tech imagine instant loading of games ahh its a dream lol (Please dont compare to cartridge tech of the 80's) Im thinking more the tech that apple has developed of getting about 500gb on a chip the size of a postage stamp, hell we could start seeing 1TB ipods soon..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (4,061 Views)
0 Kudos