27 Dec 2010
MVP
Playstation Staff

PS3/ PSP Remote Play issues

2 Replies 458 Views Created 27-12-2009

Now I'm usually on the ball with this but I'm stumped my PSP was connected to a PS3 I had borrowed now I have my PS3 Slim so I register the PSP with my Slim, ok sorted wrong! My PSP just won't connect via private network or Internet I have Reset my PSP settings to clear all traces of the previous PS3 and still nothing it just times out.

It had worked with 2 previous PS3s no probs, Any advice?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (458 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3/ PSP Remote Play issues

** For users experiencing their PS3 turning on by itself, try placing your PS3's static IP outside of the DHCP range of your router and also try disabling UPnP on your router **

To use this feature, you may be required to update the system software of the PS3™ system and the PSP™ system.

Using your PSP™ system and a wireless access point (such as that found through a commercial wireless hotspot (wireless LAN) service), you can connect to the PS3™ system that is located within your home via the Internet. To use remote play from outside your home, the PS3™ system must be set in remote play connection standby mode.

Preparing (1) (PS3™ and PSP™ systems)

To use remote play for the first time, you must register (pair) the PSP™ system with the PS3™ system. Register the system under (Settings) > (Remote Play Settings) > [Register Device].

Preparing (2) (PS3™ system)

Set the PS3™ system to enter standby mode. You must set [Remote Start] to [On] so that you can turn on the PS3™ system from the PSP™ system.

1. Perform the following steps on the PS3™ system:

• Complete the network settings on the PS3™ system so that it can connect to the Internet.
  • Create a PLAYSTATION®Network account.
  • Set to sign in automatically to PLAYSTATION®Network.
  • Set to log in automatically under (Users).
  • Set (Settings) > (Remote Play Settings) > [Remote Start] to [On].

2. Turn off the PS3™ system.
Select (Turn Off System) from (Users) in the home menu to turn off the system and to put it into standby mode. Do not turn off the system using the main power switch on the system rear.

Preparing (3) (PSP™ system)

Create a network connection to connect the PSP™ system to an access point. To use remote play via the Internet, you can use an access point such as a commercial wireless hotspot (wireless LAN) service. For details, refer to the user's guide for the PSP™ system.

Using remote play  

1. Select (Remote Play) under (Network)  in the PSP™ system's home menu.

2. Select [Connect via Internet].

3. From the list of connections, select the connection for the access point to be used for remote play.

4. Enter the PLAYSTATION®Network sign-in ID and password for the account in use.

If the connection is successful, the PS3™ system screen will be displayed on the PSP™ system. Quitting remote play

Press the HOME button on the PSP™ system, and then select [Quit Remote Play] > [Quit and Turn Off the PS3™ System].

Hint

Select [Quit Without Turning Off the PS3™ System] if you are using your PS3™ system to copy files, or to perform background downloading and other tasks that require you to keep your system on. This will also make it easier to connect and check the status of any downloads and/or install any downloadable games/demos/content.

Using remote play via the Internet

You may not be able to use remote play via the Internet depending on the network device in use. If this happens, check the following information.

• Use [Internet Connection Test] in (Network Settings) under (Settings) to check that the PSP™ system can connect to the Internet and PLAYSTATION®Network.
  • You must set the router's port forwarding to allow communication to the PS3™ system from the Internet. The port number that is used by remote play is TCP/UDP: 9293. For information about setting this option, refer http://portforward.com.
  • Port forwarding is a function for forwarding signals that arrive at a specific port (entrance) to another specified port (exit). This is also referred to as "port mapping" or "address conversion."
  • If the PS3™ system is connected to the Internet via two or more routers, Set port forwarding using the router directly connected to the internet, but communication still may not work correctly.

Setting up & Using Remote Start

A PS3™ system that is in standby mode can be automatically turned on when a PSP™ system is used for remote play (Wake On LAN). To use this feature, you must first perform the following steps:

To use remote play via the wireless LAN feature of the PS3™ system or via an access point:

• Set to log in automatically under (Users) on the PS3™ system.

To use remote play via the Internet:

• Update the PSP™ system and the PS3™ system to the latest version of the system software.
  • Set to log in automatically under (Users) on the PS3™ system.
  • Complete the network settings on the PS3™ system so that it can connect to the Internet.
  • Create a PLAYSTATION®Network account.
  • Set to sign in automatically to PLAYSTATION®Network.

Hints
  • For details on logging in automatically under (Users), see (Users) > [Logging in] > [Setting automatic login] in this guide.
  • For details on signing in automatically to PLAYSTATION®Network, see (PLAYSTATION®Network) > [Save Password (Auto Sign-In)] in this guide.

Enabling remote start:

1.Select (Remote Play Settings) from (Settings) in the home menu.

2.Select [Remote Start] > [On].

3.Select [OK] on the screen that is displayed. To use remote play via the Internet, select [Enable Remote Start via the Internet].

4.Turn off the PS3™ system.

Select (Turn Off System) from (Users) in the home menu to turn off the system and to put it into standby mode. Do not turn off the system using the main power switch on the system rear.

5.Perform remote play using the PSP™ system.

Hint

If remote start is enabled, the internal fan of the PS3™ system will continue to operate even after the system is turned off.

Disabling remote start

1.Select (Remote Play Settings) from (Settings) in the home menu.

2.Select [Remote Start] > [Off].

I use a Linksys WRT54GS and my port forwarding interface looks like this:

Tips and Tricks

I have a few tips that have helped others in the past.

Static IP for your PS3 outside of your router's DHCP range is a must.

The PS3 Networking Guide can help you get a static IP for your PS3, which is a must for 'true' remote play.

CheckMatey 's thread on NAT2 might help as well.
NAT Type 2 Tutorial

Port forwarding is also a must and is going to depend on your router. The simplest way is to head over to PortForward.com and find your router.

Most users will forward TCP port 9293 but they fail to forward UDP port 9293 in their routers. Both are needed in order for remote play to work properly.

PortForward.com doesn't cover the PSP ports but you can add them easily once you figure out how to work port forwarding for your specific router.

For the PSP you have to have:

** please note that these are 2 seperate ports **

TCP port 9293

UDP port 9293

hope this helps bud..

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=pspnet&thread.id=157377

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3/ PSP Remote Play issues

hmmmm looks like I forgot to switch it into standby lol , I shall check it out when I can get on
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (450 Views)
0 Kudos