PS3 General

PS3 General

29 Apr 2012
By: danyoda1 Member 133 Posts
Level 2

PS3 Phat YLOD :-(

6 Replies 345 Views Created 29-04-2012

Hi Guys

My Phatty died last night :-( But i managed to resurrect it with the old hairdryer trick :-) Got as many of my gamesaves onto a memory stick as i could (ie; the ones not locked to the machine - bow your heads in shame stupid developers) so gonna see how it runs from now - it's been ok for about 4 hours so far.

It's one of those things that i was expecting to happen but hoping it wouldn't!

Just for reference, i remember seeing something about model revisions and one of the slims had the large fan before they shrunk it, anyone know what that revision code is as if i replaced my phatty with a slim, i think i'd try and get that one 'cos of the lower noise output of the fan.

cheers

dan

and it wasn't a firmware update/uncharted/gran turismo/COD that killed it -twas just wanna them things!

Do, or Do Not. There is no try.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (345 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re: PS3 Phat YLOD :-(

You're best off getting the latest version of the PS3. All the modifications, such as adding removing, chopping and changing parts were all done for a reason. The best you'll get is whatever model is on sale right now :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (301 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

i'd read that they moved from a 120mm to an 80mm fan though whch is apparently louder?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (288 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

I doubt it's notably louder. The old PS3s seem to run louder than all slims so I doubt you'd notice
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (281 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I bought a 160gb Slim last September (used my 320gb hdd in it) and it's so quiet compared to the old 60gb Phat model I had before. So much so that I noticed the other day that my son had left it on and I hadnt noticed for two days !

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Well, the old YLOD hairdryer trick lasted about a week :-(

It's just such a shame the slim ps3's are soooo ugly compared to the phatty's

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (225 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

danyoda1 wrote:

Well, the old YLOD hairdryer trick lasted about a week :-(

It's just such a shame the slim ps3's are soooo ugly compared to the phatty's

You get used to it. I have both.. The 60gig still wins everytime but I do use my slim alot more. It is quieter and more efficient, and the wifi is a hell of a lot better.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (208 Views)
0 Kudos