02 Jan 2010
Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim 120 GB Just Shut Itself Off??

17 Replies 5,224 Views Created 02-01-2010

Ok, so im watching BBCi Player, when all of a sudden it switched itself off, now at first i thought, i must have turned "Auto Switch Off" ON, yet i rebooted the PS3 and checked and no its set to off, then i read other places on the net that say its broke or theres a hardware fault, but i aint getting the YLOD, what could this be, and no i didnt leave the console unnatended, i moved the analogue a few times to see time remaining on the Programme i was watching.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (5,224 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim 120 GB Just Shut Itself Off??

does the unit get hot ?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (5,210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

TBH mate ive only had the console since 29th December, its only just done it, ive switched it back on and it seems fine at the mo, but no it doesnt really seem that hot, my 360 has been hotter and thats normally on for waaaaaaay longer than this lol.

Oh and for the record i aint a 360 fanboy, just a little note to people who will see my newb PSN ID and think im trolling.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (5,207 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

seems to be a issue with the iplayer... i dont have the app as i live in Denmark.. but other ppl have named the same issue as you.... it could be some sort of cache overflow on the HDD from the iplayer... or simple some sort of bad code / programing ...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (5,199 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

HMMMM, i hope your right, i dont want this PS3 to break only a couple of days after i purchased it.

Would be funny though if it did, as every PS3 owner calls the 360 for breaking, yet ive had mine for 3 years without a single fault, either way it betta not break, i aint finished Uncharted, and im having too much fun on KZ2 lol.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (5,173 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

you want me to go down that route m8 :smileyhappy: ?? you want to see some pictures of the slim 120Gb inside ?

ps3_s22.jpg

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (5,167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

What am i looking at there?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (5,157 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

A PlayStation 3 will only turn itself off when it is reaching a critical temperature and has to cool down for it's own safety. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (5,133 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

the thermal paste on the 2 CPU/GPU`s .... only matter of time before it would shut down with that poor job of thermal paste on there..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (5,129 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

oh no not the thermal paste again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (5,117 Views)
0 Kudos