PS3 General

PS3 General

30 Dec 2013
By: Mikey-Asteroid Member 14 Posts
Level 1

PS3 Slim 12gb games on external drive

11 Replies 3748 Views Created 30-12-2012

Hi

I received a PS3 Slim 12gb for christmas and mostly wanted it for the Bluray player but obviously now I have it I have got the gaming bug and want to install some games on it.

I received 2 oldish games for christmas Fallout New Vegas and Alone in the Dark - FNV uses about 4.5gb and AITD als uses about 4gb along with the system software there is only enough room to install one game.

Also being on the Playstation network i see games that are around 7gb to download let alone install and some games require 30gb to install - obviously my question is can i install these games on an external drive since I already have one - I've formated it fat32 and have the folder structure the way the internet says - but when i go to install Fallout it installs on the internal drive without giving me the option to install it on the external drive.

I've backed up the PS3 but i can't load the data as i think it's an archieved backup file - I've also moved my saved game files onto the external drive (through the copy and past feature in the menu screen) but the games don't recognise the saved game files on the external drive and just tell me to start the game again (since they can't find any save game files obviously).

I have a playstation network plus account and can save things online - but is there a way to install games on an external drive - or at least load savegame files from an external drive - or do I need to buy an internal drive (which seems like double handling since i already have an external drive)

I tried looked on the net for all the answers to these questions but couldn't find it obviously or I wouldn't have signed up to ask the question so any help would be much appreciated :smileywink:

Kind regards

Mike

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (3,748 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: PS3 Slim 12gb games on external drive

No, you cannot install on an external drive for one main reason: Piracy.

Also, the internal harddrive does not use FAT32. It uses a proprietary encrypted filesystem as to prevent piracy.

You can, however, purchase an internal harddrive upgrade for your 12GB PS3, or just buy a caddy and choose your own harddrive. It is easy to do, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (3,742 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I was expecting that to be the case, I will buy an internal drive  :smileyhappy:

I know it's a silly question but just double checking before I actually buy the caddy and internal drive and find out like my external drive that i can't install programs on the internal drive (bypassing the built in 12gb flash memory) I assume there will be no installing issues since the PS3 slim have 12GB flash memory - the PS3 will be able to install games / programs on the internal drive (by default or at least give me the option)  If that all makes sense :smileyhappy:

Mike

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (3,737 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

[ Edited ]

All game data is stored in the game data utiliity on the internal drive.....

Game patches, data and any downloaded games or DLC are all stored there and cannot be transferred or even downloaded to an external drive (game saves can but....well most can be)

Basicly.............install a bigger drive

PSNsig

1TB SSHD PS4 – Samsung 40” 3D LED – Yamaha 5x 100watt Receiver
Looking for a clan to join ?? check out Beyond The Grave [BTG]
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (3,731 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

If I remember correctly, the contents of the flash memory will be transferred to the internal harddrive automatically. I'm sure one of the mods can correct me if I'm wrong.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (3,716 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thank you both for all your help.

Yes you're right that the contents will get transferred over - i read that in the sony hard disk drive mounting bracket manual. (if all else fails read the manual :smileywink: )

Have a good new year :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (3,701 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Renze wrote:
If I remember correctly, the contents of the flash memory will be transferred to the internal harddrive automatically. I'm sure one of the mods can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I believe that's the case too...

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (3,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

kiwiatlarge wrote:

Renze wrote:

Yeah, I believe that's the case too...

Yeah, this is correct, the internal flash memory will be moved across to the new internal hard drive that will be installed.:smileyhappy:

Nomembrane

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (3,650 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi. Just bought a 12gb because Game are flogging them at £135 inc LBP2

Can I download any Playstation Plus games to an external HDD for later install to the flash internal drive?
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (1,913 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

No.

Reason: piracy.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (1,903 Views)
0 Kudos