02 Sep 2009
By SneekyB
Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim Freezing

56 Replies 26,661 Views Created 02-09-2009

As much as I like my new Slim I have experienced several system freezes last night where the only means of recovery is to switch it off at the plug. This has mainly happened while on the XMB. The lights on the controller all flash to indicate a lack of connection with the PS3 and cannot reconnect until I power cycle the system. Now to figure out if this is a issue with the PS3, with 3.0 or something related to my HDD swap.

I have re-synced the controller several times but it does appear that it is simply losing the connection with the PS3. On restarting the controller remains paired with the PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 57 (26,661 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim Freezing

Same here,Problem was the update crashed while downloading but after a few tries of trying to install update it finally managed it.

However after that the xmb kept freezing ,quick call to sony fixed it.Restore PS3 System.Works like a dream now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 57 (26,538 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that tonight and hopefully will have as good a result.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 57 (26,488 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

mine froze once yesterday while i was in XMB. =/
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 57 (26,461 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If your PS3 keeps crashing try a system restore :Thumbs:
Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 57 (26,429 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yeah i was having numerous crashes and Sony reccomended a system restore now no crashes whatsoever :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 57 (26,415 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I performed the system restore tonight and then restored my hdd backup files. I'm still finding the XMB will freeze every so often but when in game I have no issues, I played Batman for 4 hours tonight without a problem. I'm guessing 3.0 may have introduced some bugs to the system.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 57 (26,294 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I am also sure that there is some kind of problem. I had an XMB freeze during startup for the first time yesterday. Funny that it happened a few hours after upgrading the FW to 3.0. The standard lights are on the front & it would not respond to a soft reboot. I had to use the rocker switch on the back to turn it off. Seems fine now though. I have a 60 GB model with an upgraded HDD.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 57 (26,256 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same thing happens with my Slim. The standard lights are all lit on the PS3 but it is unresponsive to any input, pulling the plug is the only way to salvage anything. In-game is fine which makes me think the problem is with the XMB.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 57 (26,248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Indeed mate. My controller also lost connection a couple of times yesterday. I woud press the PS button to launch the PS3 & I would just get the flashing 4 lights. Interesting that we both have units with swapped HDD's. That might be a red herring, but you never know. FW 3.00 has made the XMB unstable by the lokks of it. However, I have not had the problems today. I will keep an eye on the behaviour.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 57 (26,244 Views)
0 Kudos