05 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

PS3 Slim blank screen on start up

26 Replies 25,883 Views Created 05-11-2009

Hi everyone,

First time posting on here. Had PS3 slim for just over a month and it's not had a lot of use (5 hours a week at the very most). Anyway I've got it connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia tv and recently when I turn the console on the TV picks up the signal and says "playstation three, av5 HDMI" or somethng along those lines. But the actual start screen does not appear and it's just black. No matter how many times I reset the console this stays the same, I've tried unplugging the system and reconnecting it all back up.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27 (25,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Slim blank screen on start up

Im guessing you've used it with SCART before? Anyway, if you haven't, plug the SCART cable in (along with your HDMI cable still plugged in), start it up. go to settings and change it to HDMI then unplug the SCART and switch your TV over to HDMI and it should work... Or thats how it used to work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27 (25,838 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I've used it with the SCART and used it with HDMI as well. It's only recently that I've started to have this problem.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27 (25,827 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have a similar problem except my ps3 is 18 months old. Basicaly i havnt played my ps3 for about 2 months i decided to have ago today so i set it up but when i turned it on there was no picture, i tryed various things for about an hour- 2 hdmi cables, reseting display setings, the normal display lead but the only way i can get it to come on is by using a component cable but when i play any movie game etc quality goes realy bad and i get these green horizontal lines moving up and down the screen. i think its a gpu problem, what should i do?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27 (25,803 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Have you tried to reset your display settings?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27 (25,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This happened to me when i used my PS3 on a HDTV then on an SDTV all you have to do is hold the reset button down for like 10 seconds, the ps3 does a hard reset and lets you choose picture settings again :smileyvery-happy: 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27 (25,877 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i have 2. i'v tried just about everything you can do. all i can get is a black screen
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27 (25,382 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

You hold the power button on the PS3 until you hear 2 beeps for the display settings to be reset.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27 (25,319 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having this same type of problem. Have you found a way to resolve yours? If so, what did you do?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27 (25,048 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I got the same prob wat do i do help somebody!!!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27 (24,665 Views)
0 Kudos