PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Level 1

Re: PS3 Slim fan noise discussion.

wondering if anyone can help me

I got a new ps3 slim 320gb bundle two weeks ago and the noise is quite loud, but its not a fan noise like i see others have complained of

this sounds like the disc loading all the time (some games cause it to go louder than others)

I have read somewhere that it is the laser going over the ps3 disc but the noise is getting beyond a joke and i am starting to wear headphones because of this annoyance

any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Message 271 of 279 (1,703 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

Furlong09 wrote:
wondering if anyone can help me

I got a new ps3 slim 320gb bundle two weeks ago and the noise is quite loud, but its not a fan noise like i see others have complained of

this sounds like the disc loading all the time (some games cause it to go louder than others)

I have read somewhere that it is the laser going over the ps3 disc but the noise is getting beyond a joke and i am starting to wear headphones because of this annoyance

any suggestions?

It does seem slims have a loud disc drive. Like you said, some games make it sound much worse than others.

I find games with only a small install result in more disc drive noise. Red Dead Redemption for instance makes my slim disk drive noise go overboard when I play it, and that game has a relatively small install.

While games I have with a large install results in barely any disc drive noise. 

My only suggestion is that you'll get used to it eventually. I've had my slim for a while and I don't notice it anymore. 

Please use plain text.
Message 272 of 279 (1,678 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I traded in my hovercraft sounding 60gb PS3 at the weekend at GAME and took home a 160gb Slim instead, I am amazed at how quiet it is when playing LA Noire (which was v noisy on phat PS3) and have not heard the fans yet. I do notice the clicking noise as the slim loads the disc but to be honest it's much better than the fan noise I had previously and I only notice it on games rather than films so no issues for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 273 of 279 (1,667 Views)
0 Kudos

Heh, try vacuming the ps3's fan.. This clears most of the dust and *****.
Just did it with our PS3 slim ;-) 

Please use plain text.
Message 274 of 279 (1,593 Views)
0 Kudos

Here's a link with the problem my ps3 slim is having. Unlike the video however, mine takes much longer, about like 2 hours or so, to get this bad. What can I do to fix it and what problems could it pose upon me in the future? Also, this problem  only happened after playing uncharted 3 multiplayer, no other games in my library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNw40RdulFE

Please use plain text.
Message 275 of 279 (929 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Bought a new slim the other day from Toys R Us and the fan is so quite its hard to tell if its actually on.

Please use plain text.
Message 276 of 279 (914 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

There is deffo a problem with different quality fans. I have owned loads of Ps3's much to my other halves dismay. I would buy then sell, buy then sell...like a man possesed... I digress, It its unfair for the non sufferers to deny a problem exists or that sufferers are simply being picky. The last slim 160 gb model I purchased produced such a whining noise that I ran to turn it off...I thought the bogga was attempting take off..and that was from just being opened. I immedietly returned it to my Argos shop and it was swiftly changed. My newer Slim is silent in games, movies and web browsing. If your Slim is too loud that you are struggling to hear dialogue in films ( yes it can be that bad ), Return it..it is a fault, No one should have to put up with the racket my old one was producing....END OF !!
Please use plain text.
Message 277 of 279 (898 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi TekTro,i'll try to help you,now i have to ask, what kind of ps3 slim did u buy(120,250,160,320)
Please use plain text.
Message 278 of 279 (503 Views)
0 Kudos

Sorry i meant Furlong09
Please use plain text.
Message 279 of 279 (501 Views)
0 Kudos