on 13-08-2010 01:00 PM
I encountered the dreaded YLOD yesterday, and after ordering a new PS3, I was wandering if there is anyway to salvage any of the game saves that were on my 'dead' PS3?? Dont really mind about photos, movies and such. Its the fact that I have done quite alot on the games while on last PS3.
I was thinking of the idea about taking out hard drive and copying it some how via somthing.
As you can see, I'm totally sure lol, so any help will be appreciated.
13-08-2010 01:05 PM - edited 13-08-2010 01:07 PM
on 13-08-2010 03:31 PM
I've done the hair dryer fix twice now, both times it allowed me to do a full system transfer, so nothing was lost, game saves downloads, and all media were recovered. The PS3 was bent out of shape afterwards so once you do it there's no going back, the machine is unsalvagable.
All the best
on 13-08-2010 07:34 PM
I think I must have melted the fan out of shape or something when I used the hair dryer on mine, because the second I turn it on, the fan starts violently scratching the case of the PS3, and sounds like it's about to shatter. Oh, and it said the HDD was corrupt afterwards...so it wasn't particularly successful for me.
23-09-2010 05:08 PM - edited 23-09-2010 05:29 PM
YEA! tried that hair dryer fix an hour ago, and the PS3 worked. spent the last half hout or so transferring the data onto the new system, i bought last month. know the fix wont last long, but hopefully i now have a 2nd (old) system. just wish to thank all the users on this thread for their help and advice on their attempts and the people of youtube for their useful vids on the 'treatment'.
for those people who want to try the hair dryer fix themselves i will post the steps i used below.
this a temperory fix, and may NOT work. it may also DAMAGE your PS3 system beyond repair, rendering data unsalvageable and as far as I am aware, only used on the old 60GB model PS3.
the fix described below is exactly what I did, and results may not match mine.
THESE STEPS WERE TAKEN FROM RESEARCH FROM YOUTUBE AND PS FORUMS. PERFORM THIS FIX UNDER YOU OWN RISK.
HAIR DRYER FIX
need a hair dryer and either a fan/AC unit to cool PS3 down after.
- Put the PS3 in a box or surrond it, so that the hot air is going into PS3 system and not escaping out the front. Its like a conventional fan oven model. I used a blanket over the PS3 system covering the sides and front, but NOT tightly tucked in.
- Place the PS3 system so that the rubber feet are facing down, and the position is horizontal i.e
- Knock on the hair dryer. I used a 230V/240V hair dryer on mid/high fan. Some people under my research used a hair dryer with a 125V setting and on high. With the hair dryer, go back and forth along the back grilles/vents of the system about to 2-3inches away, for 15mins. Make sure not to stay on the same spot for too long, keep hair dryer moving.
- After 15mins, replace the hair dryer with a fan/AC unit, so the PS3 can cool down completely. The cooling air should be on the PS3 system for 20mins and before knocking it off, make sure the whole PS3 system is cool on the outside, before taking fan/AC away.
- Now try and knock on system as usual.
Best source (link)
Website ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
All content, game titles, trade names and/or trade dress, trademarks, artwork and associated imagery are trademarks and/or copyright material of their respective owners. All rights reserved. [more info]