20 Jan 2009
Playstation Staff

PS3 freezing and not reading discs, is it terminal?

3 Replies 333 Views Created 20-01-2009

After 10 months of trouble free gaming and movie watching upon trying to watch a film tonight my PS3 has decided it doesn't want to play ball.

It refuses to play DVD's or Blueray movies at all just locking up and requiring an ejection of the disc and a holding of the power button.

Games will load on occassion but soon after freeze up and the icon in the top right just spins.

again the only action is to eject and hold down the power button.

On reading around the web it seems this is something that others have experienced am I right in thinking this is a terminal issue (not just settings) and that a call to Customer services should hopefully see things move to resolve things? As I'm still in warranty does anybody know what sort of time scales we are looking at?

Many thanks

James

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4 (333 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 freezing and not reading discs, is it terminal?

burtracoon wrote:

After 10 months of trouble free gaming and movie watching upon trying to watch a film tonight my PS3 has decided it doesn't want to play ball.

It refuses to play DVD's or Blueray movies at all just locking up and requiring an ejection of the disc and a holding of the power button.

Games will load on occassion but soon after freeze up and the icon in the top right just spins.

again the only action is to eject and hold down the power button.

On reading around the web it seems this is something that others have experienced am I right in thinking this is a terminal issue (not just settings) and that a call to Customer services should hopefully see things move to resolve things? As I'm still in warranty does anybody know what sort of time scales we are looking at?

Many thanks

James

Mine started to have problems with the drive, yours sounds worse though. I'd get rid of that seeing as you are still in warranty. Unless you are waiting for a 60gig machine, it shouldn't take more than a 7-10 days to get a replacement.

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4 (328 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Back up your saves, ring sony. In a couple of days you'll be back to trouble free gaming :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4 (326 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well have spoken to Sony who were extremely polite and appologetic which isn't something you get used to these days.  No issues or difficult questions just arranged for an exchange refurb unit to be sent via courier to me. The only slight down side is the that it will be 12 days before they can deliver, but could be a lot worse.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4 (300 Views)
0 Kudos