09 Jan 2011
By: RackoSLO Member 136 Posts
Level 1

PS3 jailbreak pros and cons

13 Replies 19,403 Views Created 09-01-2011

What do you all think about the jailbreak. Somehow i like the fact that you can copy games to your hard drive like on xbox. For starters you don't need to change discs everytime you want to play another game and also (correct me if im wrong) i think loading times would be better if the games would run from the HDD itself. Secondly the bluray drive is a bit noisy when reading discs so it could be very helpful to those that have the system up close. And there should be a solution for multiplayer (it should come with the system itself) that if your friend has a multiplayer game you want to play together so you could borrow the disc and copy only the files for multiplayer on your system for a limited amount of time (with some restrictions like you can only copy one game on one more system and then the game is locked for copying or something). Ok maybe that would be piracy but at least if you have 2 PS3 connected to the same router for like a LAN party. That particulary would be quite useful since games are very expensive. But yes the problem is piracy which i do not support in any way so this feature would need some security restrictions. I am talking about some kind of Sony approved jailbreak. So what are your opinions about jailbreak?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (19,403 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: PS3 jailbreak pros and cons

If piracy wasn't involved then yeah whatever, but it is, so I hate it. As much as I'd love homebrew and backing up my games, piracy just hammers it all into the ground. Stupid ***** should support the developers of the game if they want the games that bad.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (19,398 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Pro: Get out of prison early.

Con: Get caught and have an extended sentence for not only escaping but also for man slaughter, for braining to 20 guards to death with a heavy blunt object.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (19,393 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

yes but i am talking about a simple security update like the games having a serial code of some sort, that would have to be registered online, then you would have premision to copy the game on your ps3, sort of like computer games. but that would have to be integrated in the ps3 not that usb dongle.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (19,388 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

RackoSLO wrote:

What do you all think about the jailbreak. Somehow i like the fact that you can copy games to your hard drive like on xbox. For starters you don't need to change discs everytime you want to play another game and also (correct me if im wrong) i think loading times would be better if the games would run from the HDD itself. Secondly the bluray drive is a bit noisy when reading discs so it could be very helpful to those that have the system up close.

On the Xbox you still need the game disc in it even though you installed the whole thing into the HDD. To verify you own the game when you start it.

But yeah, I would love to see a similiar game install function on the PS3. The less the optical drive is used, the better. The hard drive is much more reliable, faster and more quiet.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (19,361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

But yeah, I would love to see a similiar game install function on the PS3. The less the optical drive is used, the better. The hard drive is much more reliable, faster and more quiet.

that is what im talking about. and for the old ps3s if the lens failed you could still play your games

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (19,336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

if the lens failed the system couldn't verify you own the game, so that won't work.
only pro/con i can see is, can play copies of games (not that i will), con of loosing access to PSN and online play along with risk of legal prodeecing against you for having copied games

PS3 Slim 120Gb Upgraded To 250Gb
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (19,310 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

For your information: Jailbreak is old news. Fail0verflow has found the masterkey to signing every single piece of code you can imagine. This means the PS3 sees that code as legit ALL the time without the need for any modification to the hardware. Sony used a non-random number in their code signing algorithm where there should have been a random one. This number is used for all games issued to date, PSN titles, firmwares. EVERYTHING.

Helas for Sony (well, I say: hooray for Sony), this means that they cannot reverse this by merely issueing a new firmware update or issueing a 'white' list of games. Sony will need to change the hardware in order to tackle this. And they can't do that, as that would impact 40 million PS3 users. It won't be long before the first user modified firmware will surface and the pircay of games will begin. And this time ANYONE can be a pirate. Sony must have a real headache now. That's what you get when you make so many capital mistakes with a console. But this one is a major fail, innit Sony?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (19,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

GeoHot's JB CFW Doesn't have backup manager..

He doesn't like piracy.
Psn - Firefox_x3

Dirty Dubstep, i ♥ you.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (19,248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

mattkan wrote:
Pro: Get out of prison early.

Con: Get caught and have an extended sentence for not only escaping but also for man slaughter, for braining to 20 guards to death with a heavy blunt object.
LMAO - very good
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (19,242 Views)
0 Kudos