PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

26 Nov 2011
By: xRandyR00x Member 99 Posts
Level 1

PS3 keeps freezing!

21 Replies 16357 Views Created 26-11-2011

Playing skyrim and my ps3 keeps freezing up, at first the ps3 just started being slow, taking time to load up, now it freezes totally cant do anything, have to take disc out and put it back in to get it to start working again.

Anyone heard of this problem and know how to fix it?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (16,357 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Re: PS3 keeps freezing!

[ Edited ]

Yup its that time of year again :smileysad:

:smileyvery-happy: Seriously its the game and not your PS3 (you have tried other games to check this?). Its the save file that is not clearing the cache and causing everyone's to freeze when it gets to a certain size. A patch is in the works so if you can avoid playing the game until its released you should be able to just carry on the game as normal once downloaded :smileyhappy:

Luckily mines not happening yet at 40 odd hours into the game, but when I arrive at a city it stutters slightly until it catches up with itself.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (16,350 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Glad to know the patch is fixing that, the only other game it happens on is a minigame but i just stopped playing that one, i thought it was the sheer amount of save files i had on skyrim so i spent some time this morning deleting them all but the last one.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (16,332 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

I don't think that will work because they all add up and increase the more you do in the game. So your most recent save will be the one that is the largest, and causing you the trouble.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (16,330 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

It didnt work but before posting on here it was the only idea I had in my head, wouldnt have went back to them anyway im just a little obsessive with keeping everything
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (16,325 Views)
0 Kudos

skyrim freezing is a problem for anyone who puts any large amount of time into the game, because the file size becomes too large and as much as skyrim autosaves it causes it to stagger and freeze. there is a few things you can do fix the problem.      1 start your playstation in safe mode(there are directions on how to do this elsewhere on the playstation metwork if you don't know how) then restore file system. this will deleate any currupt data off of your system nand somewhat defragment your hard drive also.     2 deleate any old game data files from games you no longer have or no longer play from game data utility(your saved data you can leave in case you ever play the game again, you will just have to reinstall the game itself) large open world games make heavy use of the hard drive and any free space helps.    3 under your menue in skyrim turn off ALL autosave options you will have to remember to save, but at least you can play without screwing up your system hard resetting constantly.    4 use select in game to wait 30 days, not sure why it works but bethesda says it does and i'm inclined to believe the people who made it.                  before i did all of thease things i couldn't play for an hour withoua crash, now i can play all night with little or no problems. this also works on uther large open  world games like fallout 3 and new vegas.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (15,417 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

[ Edited ]

RAM42021 wrote:

skyrim freezing is a problem for anyone who puts any large amount of time into the game, because the file size becomes too large and as much as skyrim autosaves it causes it to stagger and freeze. there is a few things you can do fix the problem.      1 start your playstation in safe mode(there are directions on how to do this elsewhere on the playstation metwork if you don't know how) then restore file system. this will deleate any currupt data off of your system nand somewhat defragment your hard drive also.     2 deleate any old game data files from games you no longer have or no longer play from game data utility(your saved data you can leave in case you ever play the game again, you will just have to reinstall the game itself) large open world games make heavy use of the hard drive and any free space helps.    3 under your menue in skyrim turn off ALL autosave options you will have to remember to save, but at least you can play without screwing up your system hard resetting constantly.    4 use select in game to wait 30 days, not sure why it works but bethesda says it does and i'm inclined to believe the people who made it.                  before i did all of thease things i couldn't play for an hour withoua crash, now i can play all night with little or no problems. this also works on uther large open  world games like fallout 3 and new vegas.

This post is of my opinion only.

You've got a load of patience to be able to do all that faffing, before playing the game. My brother gave up as soon as he saw the signs of the game glitching and he sent it back.:smileyhappy:

It's good to be a Fanboy; when there's a great product behind your reason for being one.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (15,412 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

yeah after patch no benefit at all and cant even complete game as the kill alduin quest just wont bring up alduin, checked on youtube and ive done everything right but the fog doesnt come back and the rest of the fog doesnt go away if I use clear sky anywhere else.

Tried old saves and everything, thought id go far far back but ps3 frozen and wouldnt unfreeze again, had to switch power off at mains

Get non multiplayer games on ps3 rather than xbox but not a single person I know if xbox version has had these problems and everyone i know with it on ps3 stopped playing within a week

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (15,395 Views)
0 Kudos

i found a way to stop the freezing in skyrim just turn off all auto save beside (Rest and Wait) make sure you save the game inside a house or your own home this help me  alot i can finall play skyrim with out freezing or crashing just make sure you save the game in a house.etc just make sure you do it everytime you finish a quest the only reason why the game freeze up cuz your out side saving the game while it was loading eveything which lead to crashing + freezeing hope this help all cuz it working for me :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (15,336 Views)
0 Kudos

just save your game in a house or your own (Do not save outside of skyrim) saving in caves is fine to =)
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (15,331 Views)
0 Kudos