22 Sep 2012
Playstation Staff

PS3 keeps shutting down

9 Replies 3,383 Views Created 22-09-2012

Apologies if this has been covered by others, but I can't find anything by searching.

My PS3 boots up OK, but shuts down after 10-20 minutes. Evidently something's getting too hot and the old girl has to protect her bits. I should add that the unit is free of dust (cleaned out during a recent repair) and stands on one of those USB-driven fans to keep it cool. My PS3 is the phat one; 80Gb model I think.

Because - given time - it will boot up again, evidently there isn't anything that's completely failed.

Can anyone suggest what it is that (typically) overheats, and whether or not it's fixable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Latest track - klostrofobea
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (3,383 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 keeps shutting down

Mine used to do that just before it got the ylod.

There's fixes out there for the ylod death which you may already know of but most of the time they don't last long.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (3,361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Basically what Warren said, there are small fixes, but they are only temporary.

Go out and buy another PS3 whilst you can, and back up all your stuff to your new PS3. You can do this with an ethernet cable if you have one, otherwise you can use an external HDD, and back up to the external HDD, and then transfer to the new PS3.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (3,359 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for your responses guys, but there's been a slight change.

Unlike the previous case of the unit powering up (for a while) this time it won't. I get a brief green LED, then 3 beeps and it shuts down again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (3,337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

look closely and you'll see it flash yellow just before it turns off.....YLOD you maybe able to get it going to back it up/transfer but your chances are slim.

addicted to PSV GD
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (3,334 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

You have the dreaded Ylod :xCry: not sure why it's called that as the Yellow light is only visible for a very short time followed by flashing red lights after the bleeps,im guessing the warranty expired ages ago so you have a few options

1 Send it to Sony who will give you a refurbished replacement £110 last time i checked.

2 Get a third party fix for around £50 to £80

3 Fix it yourself just checkout Youtube for Ps3 Ylod fix tutorials theres hundreds to choose from.

4 Go buy a new console

The Sony refurb will last you anything up to a year/more if your lucky tho not in my case iv,e had 4 and Sony genorously only give you a 3mth warranty on there refurbs which most 3rd party places also give and doing it yourself may get you 2 or 3 mths also.

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (3,331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Hi guys

I checked very carefully - definitely no YLOD. I actually had that about a year ago and got it fixed. Have been advised to go through the process of holding down the power button for 10 seconds and doing the full format. Given the time it takes to do this I'll leave it until tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (3,326 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Aaaaaargh!

My apologies guys. Look, cross my heart, when I last checked I definitely didn't see YLOD, but I just tried the 10-seconds whatsit and this time YLOD was there.

Only hope now is that the previous repair can be done again and if that's the case I will, obviously, back everything up and get a new PS3 when funds become available. A question though:

I have a dozen or so loaded games and 3 or 4 on DVD. In terms of music, pics etc there really isn't anything of note, certainly in terms of quantity. When it comes to backing up my data, roughly how much storage space would I need? Would it possible to get everything onto, say, a 4Gb stick, rather than try to hook up a big external HD?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (3,305 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

anaximperator wrote:

Hi guys

I checked very carefully - definitely no YLOD. I actually had that about a year ago and got it fixed. Have been advised to go through the process of holding down the power button for 10 seconds and doing the full format. Given the time it takes to do this I'll leave it until tomorrow.

I don't think that will help to be honest.  I've been in the position as having the same symptoms as you about three times now (this is in addition to earlier undertaken BlueRay Drive failure and YLOD repairs) .  Each time the intervening period between failures got shorter and shorter.  The latest repair only lasted about five weeks. I had my PS3 repaired each time by an independent repairer (independent of Sony, that is) at about £80 a throw. So it got to be rather expensive just keeping my FAT 60 Gb running.  

My solution was to cut my losses by buying a Slim and using that instead.  I can decide what to do with my currently dead PS3 at my leisure now.  Eventually I plan to get it fixed* and use it as a back up machine only (in the bedroom perhaps).  I don't want to sell it because it's got a new 650Gb HDD installed and the BD is new too of course. Other reasons for me keeping it is the SACD and PS2 games capabilities.  Beats the hell out of me why Sony dropped these features because I was using them quite a bit.  Oh, I nearly forgot, the Slim has no Card reader slots either.  This was quite  a shock for me as it meant I had to buy a separate card reader.  Consequently, the reduced number of USB slots on the Slim seems a daft idea to me.

Once my FAT PS3 reached three years old all these problems started happening.  If I had known at the time that the FAT has a 'Use by date' I probably wouldn't have bought it.  At the time though it was the Xbox 360 that was having all the trouble.

*using another repairer, in case 'competence of the repairer' is the issue in my case.

Regards

Sixpak Chakrabarti

If god had meant us to be vegetarian, why did she make animals out of meat?

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/552712841.png[/IMG][/URL]
http://www.speedtest.net/result/552712841.png
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (3,304 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Using a 4gb stick should be fine as it seems you don't have much to back up anyway.
You can't back up your downloaded games, just download them again on your new machine.

But be aware that there's a few games out there that don't allow you to back up saves, so if you have any games like that then you just have to cut your losses or become a plus member and use the Cloud storage to put your saves on.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (3,291 Views)
0 Kudos