24 Dec 2013

Playstation Staff

PS3 red light of death?

10 Replies 356 Views Created 24-12-2013
Ok so I get GT6 today and after an hour of updating I finally get into the game.
However, just as its beginning the playstation itself cuts out with the usual 3 'beeps'.
This has happened before with I got the new COD game a while back.
The strange thing is the playstation is literally on for hours when playing GTA and watching Netflix without any problems?
Hoping someone can help...

Thanks,
Jordan
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (356 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 red light of death?

Hey!, What PS3 Is It? Slim, Super Slim OR Fat?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (300 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Fat, one of the very first...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (273 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

its actually a Yellow Light of Death... if you watch the light sequense closely... you may spot a split scond glimps of a yellow light... dont blink or you'll miss it.... if thats the case its a gonna... 

but then again if you are able to power up the playstation to the XMB its not broken... put machine into safe mode and do some system maintenance from the available options... (avoiding system reformats etc)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (259 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

from what iv been reading, gt6 kills fats, 

gt5 killed mine

al i can sugest is delete game data and re install patch 1.02,

i had same issue day 1, i get it oten with games like dust, serveroverload or something,

try it if you can, but i fear it may be to late.

SCREW THE SIG. IT NEVER WORKS FOR ME ANYWAY!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (210 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Mine went ylod this morning, done the hairdryer trick for 10 mins and voilà its running again and the fan is quiet. Dust build up usually does it causing overheating and cracking of the crappy lead free solder joints. The hairdryer trick essentially turns the ps3 into an oven and re melts all the joints whilst blowing out all the dust. Not sure how long the fix will last but reports say anywhere between 1hour - 3 months, long enough to retrieve your save data. Remember to remove the hd first though. Mine is one of the first 60gb fats running a 640gb samsung hd.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

When I took mine apart, I was shocked at the amount of dust that got into mine. Gave it a good clean, used a heat gun on the pcb to remelt the solder joints and cleaned the cpu and heatsinks and put new thermal paste on it and got it working again but felt that its only going to be a temp fix as I've heard from others that it will ylod again at some point.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Thats what i did, my fat lasted 1 year after that but i had to take the lid off and leave everything exposed, i called this period life support

SCREW THE SIG. IT NEVER WORKS FOR ME ANYWAY!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Put You PS3 Into Safe Mode (Google It) And Re Install The File System (It Won't Delete Anything) And See If That Works! Good Luck, and if it doesn't You Will NEED to Buy A PS4 Or A New PS3:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (149 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

N, Also Give Sony A Call, The Might Be Able I Help You.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (148 Views)
0 Kudos