20 Oct 2009
Playstation Staff

PS3 slim fan noise

35 Replies 4,010 Views Created 20-10-2009
Hi there,

I've been reading some posts about the PS3 slim's fan. Some have stated that it's much quieter, some have said louder and some have explained that their fan is problematic because their PS3 slim is emitting a high pitched whine.

Back on topic here, I just got my PS3 250 GB (Uncharted bundle) a few hours ago. Got it all set up. Works perfectly, seems a bit snappier namely in the XMB. In terms of noise that's where I'm slightly disappointed. It is a bit quieter than my old 60 GB but definitely not silent.

It starts off really quiet but almost immediately goes up one more fan level. I think I'm just going to keep it though, if it really starts to bug me (like during a movie) then I can always return it for a new one (we do get new PS3's don't we, not refurbs) during the 1 year warranty

Are other people experiencing the same type of thing.

Cheers,

snverhallen

PS: What's funny is that my PS3 wasn't even pre-installed with 3.0, I could tell because it had no sparkle background and no what's new menu. Weird, but not a problem at all.

Links to other complaints:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/1...se-issues.html

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...=7026#M4091064

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=7

snverhallen is offline Report Post   Edit/Delete MessageThanks,

snverhallen
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36 (4,010 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 slim fan noise

Show me one piece of electrical equipment that uses a fan that runs silent.

Why do people whine so much about a bit of background noise????

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36 (3,965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

frodouk wrote:

Show me one piece of electrical equipment that uses a fan that runs silent.

Why do people whine so much about a bit of background noise????

hold that thought have to find my quote bag.!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36 (3,962 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

my slim is quieter than my old 40gb but it still produces fan noise.

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36 (3,944 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

seanverhallen wrote:
Hi there,

I've been reading some posts about the PS3 slim's fan. Some have stated that it's much quieter, some have said louder and some have explained that their fan is problematic because their PS3 slim is emitting a high pitched whine.

Back on topic here, I just got my PS3 250 GB (Uncharted bundle) a few hours ago. Got it all set up. Works perfectly, seems a bit snappier namely in the XMB. In terms of noise that's where I'm slightly disappointed. It is a bit quieter than my old 60 GB but definitely not silent.

It starts off really quiet but almost immediately goes up one more fan level. I think I'm just going to keep it though, if it really starts to bug me (like during a movie) then I can always return it for a new one (we do get new PS3's don't we, not refurbs) during the 1 year warranty

Cheers,

snverhallen

PS: What's funny is that my PS3 wasn't even pre-installed with 3.0, I could tell because it had no sparkle background and no what's new menu. Weird, but not a problem at all.

snverhallen

So my curiosity won over common sense - again. :smileyhappy:

I have disassembled my PS3 250G ad - the sixth I have had hands on, and all noisy, I'd simply nothing more to barter.

I noticed several things:

The FAN was a Delta KFB1012HE, it feels really delicious and would certainly cost more in retail distribution than most high-end fans used for CPU cooling. Heavy, yummy and delicious - there is no doubt that there is not spared on the fan. However, it has the slight problem that the vibrates. I take it up by hand, it is still somewhat noisy at high speeds, but the vibrations are reduced dramatically since the hand which Antivibration works fine - but you can clearly feel that it is not optimal. I have placed some rubber fuss around the fan where it has contact with a cooler box. It has helped a lot of vibrations noise.

Delta said Fan was, as I said in my machine, but others have had fingers in machinery Nidec FANs. Users have reported vibrations noise from both types.

I could obviously not fail to delve deeper into the machine, primarily for the reason that it still went 5-6-7 step up in speed, just by standing in XMB'en where other claims did not increase their speed or maybe only 1-2 steps - there is not just one problem - there are two that I have not been in doubt through my previous studies. I separated the whole ad, and came down to the motherboard, which is encapsulated within a sandwich of EMC braked metal plates. The first thing I noticed was that there was a hell of a lot cooling paste on the CPU and GPU, but only maybe half of the surface. I cleaned this with alcohol, and put some MX2 on cold pasta. Initially, it was worse, and the increased speed even more than before - and I parted again, and became aware of clamping system, I had screwed clamps placed on the underside of the motherboard firmly (the hoops to be sure to press the CPU / GPU up against the radiator), which resulted in a biased pressure from the CPU / GPU to radiator. They were released, and now running it as before I did anything. So no improvement. However, it has given me the blood on the tooth, I have (which I previously had, even before I got divorced at a machine) a suspected the connection between the CPU / GPU and the cooler is the problem. My next project is to take it apart again and put a small piece between the bracket and the motherboard to increase the pressure from the CPU / GPU to the radiator. When I study hoops and design in general, it appears as though it may create an optimal connection between the CPU / GPU and cooler.

Message Edited by T-e-X on 20-10-2009 02:05 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36 (3,943 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Well, now I'm not so sure it's the actual fan... it sounds more like the buzz of a power supply. The same type of noise like a refrigerator, just that constant buzz. Anyone have this as well.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36 (3,881 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

There are sites dedicated to silence such as http://www.silentpcreview.com/ mostly because its for home theater pc's. Nobody should have to crank up the volume just to drown out a fan noise. Besides if companies werent so cheap theyd actually have silent ball bearing fans with low power consumption (cough xbox and ps) and they wouldnt have failures (sneeze both consoles again). But if you have heard the difference between the noise of the old 360 fans and drives the PS 3 is a big difference. So i dont think it too much to ask for a silent low power console especially if im going to spend between 200-300 dollars and 60 bucks a game.
The Gods Must be Crazy
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36 (3,844 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Try some isolation feet.

(Ebay the phrase, look for Polipods)

I've found some people's noise issues to be reverberation through wooden shelves/units because the PS3 Slim's feet are so hard.

But this applies more to whine and rumble than fan wind.

Try anyway.

Infact no - Do, or do not, there is no try.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36 (3,833 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

T-e-X wrote:

seanverhallen wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers,

snverhallen

snverhallen

So my curiosity won over common sense - again. :smileyhappy:

I have disassembled my PS3 250G ad - the sixth I have had hands on, and all noisy, I'd simply nothing more to barter.

I noticed several things:

The FAN was a Delta KFB1012HE, it feels really delicious and would certainly cost more in retail distribution than most high-end fans used for CPU cooling. Heavy, yummy and delicious - there is no doubt that there is not spared on the fan. However, it has the slight problem that the vibrates. I take it up by hand, it is still somewhat noisy at high speeds, but the vibrations are reduced dramatically since the hand which Antivibration works fine - but you can clearly feel that it is not optimal. I have placed some rubber fuss around the fan where it has contact with a cooler box. It has helped a lot of vibrations noise.

Delta said Fan was, as I said in my machine, but others have had fingers in machinery Nidec FANs. Users have reported vibrations noise from both types.

I could obviously not fail to delve deeper into the machine, primarily for the reason that it still went 5-6-7 step up in speed, just by standing in XMB'en where other claims did not increase their speed or maybe only 1-2 steps - there is not just one problem - there are two that I have not been in doubt through my previous studies. I separated the whole ad, and came down to the motherboard, which is encapsulated within a sandwich of EMC braked metal plates. The first thing I noticed was that there was a hell of a lot cooling paste on the CPU and GPU, but only maybe half of the surface. I cleaned this with alcohol, and put some MX2 on cold pasta. Initially, it was worse, and the increased speed even more than before - and I parted again, and became aware of clamping system, I had screwed clamps placed on the underside of the motherboard firmly (the hoops to be sure to press the CPU / GPU up against the radiator), which resulted in a biased pressure from the CPU / GPU to radiator. They were released, and now running it as before I did anything. So no improvement. However, it has given me the blood on the tooth, I have (which I previously had, even before I got divorced at a machine) a suspected the connection between the CPU / GPU and the cooler is the problem. My next project is to take it apart again and put a small piece between the bracket and the motherboard to increase the pressure from the CPU / GPU to the radiator. When I study hoops and design in general, it appears as though it may create an optimal connection between the CPU / GPU and cooler.

Message Edited by T-e-X on 20-10-2009 02:05 PM

I always find it funny that some smuck thinks he can do a better job in his bedroom than a multi-billion dollar company that's been at the front of technology for 50 years...

Back on topic, my slim is what I would consider silent.  90% of the time it's inaudible at a metre ina  quiet room.  Occasionally during heavy gaming the fans notch up 1, they are slighty audible in a quiet room (and with something on the TV, essentially silent).   

What these people that seem to be doing comparisons and coming up with different results, are that there are plenty of factors that determine how loud your PS3 is.

a) how much airflow around it
b) what it mounted on, and if it can amplify vibrations
b) ambient room temperature

And the biggest of all, personal expectation of what silent is....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36 (3,820 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Who cares about fan noise? Doesnt the sound of the game cover over it.

You think this is bad? Play a 360.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36 (3,816 Views)
0 Kudos