14 Nov 2009
By Thormar
Playstation Staff

PS3 sound through Optical Cable to PC card

7 Replies 5,331 Views Created 14-11-2009

Hi

I am trying to route the sound from my PS3 through an Optical Cable to Optical input on a Speedlink 7.1 Sound card and output sound through 5.1 speakers plugged into same soundcard.
So far after much messing about I can get sound through 2 speakers only and have to change settings for every different type of media I play, games, dvd, blu-ray, music.

PS3, Audio Output Setting
Optical Digital
Select format supported, selecting all 5.1, DTS, AAC results in constant noise, hissing, repeating sound
Select just one and I can get sound depending on which one will work with media, just had Wanted Blu-ray playing with 5.1 selected (sound only worked correctly for playing movie, menu resulted in noise again) trial and error
Multi Output, makes no difference just get sound through TV via HDMI as well if On
Video Settings
BD/DVD audio output format Optical Digital set to Bitstream

Sound Card
Speedlink 7.1 SL-8871-SRD 7.1 PCI audio card
Driver
C-Media CMI8768 ver 5.12.8.1733
S/PDIF-In has monitoring checked
I have to check/uncheck reverse everytime I change a setting or media, have sound playing on DVD when stop playback get distortion in XMB, check/uncheck xmb sound ok again.

On the software S/PDIF-In is on the recording side and volume control is greyed out, oddly I can record whatever I am playing and when I play it back it comes through all 6 speakers.

5.1 sound works when playing a DVD on my PC

Sound is terrific through the 2 speakers but Optical should deliver 5.1 so why isn't it ?

Is there something I am missing or is it just not possible ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (5,331 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 sound through Optical Cable to PC card

Having a similar problem with the hissing/noise.

I've only ever had success with DTS checked and I have to go in, unselect -> save ->re select->save any time I use the browser, PS store, Live, or install anything. If I do any of those things the audio goes wierd and sounds aweful until I re set my settings.

This is actually an improvement as out of the box the slim wasnt putting out usable audio at all. Something in the updates seemed to help a bit.

On the computer side I need to set 'Reverse SPDIF In format'

Unfortunately this only works with GT Prologue, Katamari Forever and the XMB.

This hasnt worked for a bunch of demos I've tried and now Ratchet & Clank- Crack in Time

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (5,250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

wouldn't it be easier to just go directly from the ps3 to your surround system?

i wouldn't have thought going through the pc and then on to the speakers would help matters?

also, try looking into bitstream vs pcm........remember that you won't get 5.1 pcm through optical, you have to choose bitstream i think. only hdmi works at the moment for 5.1 pcm........so you won't get "TruHD" through optical, but if you set everything to bitstream you can still get Dolby and DTS 5.1 through optical.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (5,238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi jhamilt4

Sounds exactly like my probs there, I actually have the older fatter version of the PS.

Gloris

I can't plug directly into surround sound as it doesn't have a optical input.

Bitstream is selected and optical output for sound and result is only sound from 2 front speakers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (5,205 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

for anything like this i always go to

http://www.avforums.com/

the guys on there have a stupid amount of knowledge about this sort of thing

there are a few who will just tell you to buy a new surround sound system 

but stick it out and you WILL be provided with a solousion! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just seen Mr T getting some petrol. I pity the Fuel.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (5,198 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

hi Chamby

Yes I posted my issue there before I came here, unfortunatley not got an answer there either so far, it's been a few weeks now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (5,173 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I think my problem is as solved as it's going to get, but I'm only using the 3 fronts and sub from my system.

I've had to reset the system settings to factory then I left the sound options alone. This means I'm only getting 2 channel but it's working.

At the XMB I need to have "Reverse SPDIF IN format" checked and I need to un-check it when I go into a game.

I dont believe these C-media based sound cards are set up to do dolby decoding like we want them to. All the information I could find only listed the dolby support for the output. I would be very happy to be proven wrong though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (5,151 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Chances are that it may only be 2ch input. I bought a card with twin opticals (in & Out) and twin coax too (in & out) but sadly the card could only process 5.1 from the machine itself and to top it off never output 5.1 on any of the digitial connections. That soon got traded in for an M-audio 5.1 card.

Whilst alot of cards feature a digital output of some kind but may only except 2 ch. I had such a headache trying to get all my entertainment in surround sound, In the end i just caved and bought a Receiver that had 2 Opticals & 2 Coaxs, now every entertainment device goes through that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (5,137 Views)
0 Kudos