18 May 2010

Playstation Staff

PS3 suddenly turned off and now wont turn back on

10 Replies 4,159 Views Created 18-05-2010

I'm guessing my PS3 is one of the original 60gb ones, because my original PS3 died on me, so I sent it off to Sony and they sent me a same model refurbished one back.

Anyway I was playing on Lost Planet 2 other night when suddenly my PS3 just switched off with no warning, when it happened I heard a wierd pop like sound.

Now it doesn't turn on whatsoever, no lights, no noise, nothing. I tried the PS3 power cable with the computer and that powers up fine, then tried computer power cable into PS3, nothing. Ive always laid the PS3 flat and it's well ventilated so I don't think it's overheated otherwise it would turn back on.

Both the power cable and HDMI cable are Sony products btw.

So now I guess it might be the power supply unit.

I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem and how they sorted it out, and yes my PS3 is well out of warranty, and I don't fancy sending it off to Sony to get it sorted since it's rather expensive.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (4,159 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 suddenly turned off and now wont turn back on

sorry to hear of your problems, been checking other forums for you, sadly, it seems, as you said,it's going to be expensive to get fixed (one guy on AV forums suggested £160, so if true, my only suggestion is getting a new 250gig slim, and get the extended warranty with it, just in case.

My first PS3 60 gig (original machine, day of release) did switch itself on/off for no reason, so eventualy changed to 80gig, now happy with 250gig slim (there is a better fan on the 250gig machines, much less noise than the 120gig versions).

Good luck

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (4,172 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Where are you from?
There may be a place that does console repairs near you.

And you could try phoning Sony up and shouting abuse down the phone if they don't do it for free as it's a refurb (You get a 3 month warranty on the refurbs) and see how far that gets you, ask to speak to the manager/supervisor etc.
I've heard a few people say that works.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (4,148 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeh that warranty ran out a long time ago, and last time I rang Sony up the guy didn't really suggest anything useful but to send it off to Sony for like £160(which I did in the end). I usually only ring helplines as a very last resort. Plus the LP2 disc is still in PS3 and I wanna at least retrieve some data off it. BTW My HDD is a 320GB one, but i'm pretty ***** sure that isn't the cause since i've had that HDD on my other PS3 which suffered from YLoD

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (4,133 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Somebody in the tech boards had the same problem sounds like the PSU gone

If there no power i would guess
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (4,131 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

As nerd said, those pop sounds are the noise made by capacitors as they rupture. If you were to open up the PS3 and then open up the Power Unit you will find that one of the blocks has some yellowish furry stuff that has leaked out.

If you know electronics, you can easily replace these capacitors yourself, as the specs of each capacitor is written on them in tiny writing, a quick snip at the wires and a replacement with solder and hey presto... it's a case of waiting for the next one to pop but the machine will be working again.

A local repair shop might be able to fix it for around £40-£50. When you repair electricals, there is no difference between any device from any manufacturer if it is only a capacitor that has blown. I expect the board within the Power Unit casing is still fine, and I really doubt it was a transistor that has gone. My bet mate, is that it is a capacitor.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (4,122 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

pop sound and now no power or lights, sounds deffo like your power supply has blown.
------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (4,099 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeh I suspected as much it might have been something to do with the power supply unit somewhere, I did take it apart yesterday, wasn't really too sure what I was looking for. I looked at the power supply unit but since I wasn't sure what I was looking at, didn't find anything too wrong apart from one thing, which was, there are two quite large copper like coils both of which had small yellow dried 'goop' on it, not sure if it that stuff is meant to be there or not. I'm gonna take another look with a friend tonight and try a spare power supply unit he has.

Info from you guys has been really helpful, and more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (4,094 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

with a power supply it could be owt thats blown, theres loads of things tht look like little batteries, could be any one of them.
------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (4,079 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

After taking a closer look at the PSU with my friend, we discovered that none of the capacitors are blown since none are damaged or leaking yellow goop. Even soldered the fuse off and put a new one on. after that we plugged it in and the same noise occured again, I now know the small pop sound was the fuse being blown, it blew the fuse in the power cable and the fuse in the PSU.

So now i'm guessing there's definately something wrong with the PSU, has anyone else had this happen to their PS3 by any chance since this is one of the first time I've seen this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (4,039 Views)
0 Kudos