24 Sep 2009
Playstation Staff

PS3 won't shut down

9 Replies 2,647 Views Created 24-09-2009

It's sat there with the green light flashing, like it usually does for a few seconds before it turns off.

Only it's been there for several minutes with the green light flashing and it's not responding to anything. The screen is black as if it was off aswell but the fans and such inside are still going.

Halp. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (2,647 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

WhiteAlexander wrote:

It's sat there with the green light flashing, like it usually does for a few seconds before it turns off.

Only it's been there for several minutes with the green light flashing and it's not responding to anything. The screen is black as if it was off aswell but the fans and such inside are still going.

Halp. :smileysad:

just flip the switch they will do it then reboot it to make sure everything is ok
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (2,643 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I was a bit reluctant to do that as the hard drive light keeps popping on and off, but looks like there isn't much choice.

I'll wait a couple more minutes then do that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (2,639 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This has happened to me multiple times before.

As said, just use the switch at the back of the PS3.

It hasn't caused any problems doing so either, and I've done this quite a few times.

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid
"United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Twitter

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (2,632 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Alright, used the switch and all seems fine. Folders intact and all.

Thanks guys, panic over. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (2,629 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Hold down the Standby button until it turns off. Usually takes about 20 seconds; maybe a little more but it should turn off if you hold it long enough.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (2,623 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

fords30 wrote:
Hold down the Standby button until it turns off. Usually takes about 20 seconds; maybe a little more but it should turn off if you hold it long enough.

I made sure to try that (after a number of game freezes, that seems to be the thing to fix that). It beeped but nothing happened.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (2,612 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

WhiteAlexander wrote:

fords30 wrote:

I made sure to try that (after a number of game freezes, that seems to be the thing to fix that). It beeped but nothing happened.

Sure you held it long enough though? :smileytongue:
Mine did the exact same thing yesterday when it froze. Green light continued to flash for about 3 minutes until I decided to hold down the Standby button. I say 20 seconds, it could have easily been 40,50, a minute etc. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (2,606 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Hm, I think so. :smileytongue:

I held it until it beeped, but no longer.

But oh well, things are fine now. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (2,602 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Its real heart in mouth moment when the PS3 freezes, you hold down the power button and she beeps at you as if to say Oi I dont like that.  She finally turns off and you just have to check all is ok again, with one eye closed praying that when you press the power button all is well....Oh boy glad its back bud :Thumbs:
Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (2,556 Views)
0 Kudos