31 May 2009
Playstation Staff

Pairing PS3 to Walkman

7 Replies 2,154 Views Created 31-05-2009

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but not too sure where to post it.

I've just bought a Sony NWZ-A829K which comes with Bluetooth connectivity. It states that it can connect to home theaters, car stereos etc, but I'm having problems connecting it to my Sony PS3. The PS3 can detect the Walkman when I pair the devices, but when it tries to register the Walkman it fails.

Am I missing a step somewhere or doesn't the NWZ-A829K (or any Walkman) pair with a Sony PS3?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (2,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Pairing PS3 to Walkman

Are you sure it can connect to the ps3? I thought the bluetooth on the walkman was only so you could listen wirelessly either through a sound system or your own bluetooth headphones? Could be wrong though

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (2,143 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Wouldn't that involve different divisions at Sony talking to each other? :Smile:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (2,134 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

mike_UK07 wrote:
Are you sure it can connect to the ps3? I thought the bluetooth on the walkman was only so you could listen wirelessly either through a sound system or your own bluetooth headphones? Could be wrong though

Yes the Walkman does "connect" to the PS3 because after the PS3 carries out a scan it discovers the Walkman as a Bluetooth device because Model Number of the Walkman comes up on the screen i.e. 'NWZ-829K',  the problems begin when try to register the Walkman with the PS3.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (2,119 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

This Sony Walkman bluetooth is only designed to output audio via bluetooth to sound systems or the bluetooth headphones that are supplied with ths Walkman. There is not capability for the bluetooth to "act" like a usb cable or  to wirelessly connect.

The PS3 may "connect" to the Walkman or vice versa, but the software isn't there to do anything with it

Hope that helps

Photobucket

"You can't take the sky from me"

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (2,092 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ratchet34321 wrote:

This Sony Walkman bluetooth is only designed to output audio via bluetooth to sound systems or the bluetooth headphones that are supplied with ths Walkman. There is not capability for the bluetooth to "act" like a usb cable or  to wirelessly connect.

The PS3 may "connect" to the Walkman or vice versa, but the software isn't there to do anything with it

Hope that helps

Thats what i meant, its like when you try to connect a phone, it appears on the screen but theres nothing you can do with it. Why dont you just plug your walkman in using a usb? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ratchet34321 wrote:

Hope that helps

Yes that does help and many thanks.  It is strange that my PS3 can detect my PC, connect to it and play the music that's on the PC through the surround sound system that the PS3 is connected to however the PS3 cannot [fully] connect to one of its own products viz. a Bluetooth Sony Walkman!
 However c'est la vie 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (2,077 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Don't talk to about Walkman.  I can't believe Sony made such a hash up of that.   Walkman could have EASILLY been where Apple are today, they had better sounding and better built players.

However they failed to invest in software development, and wasted all their energy in ATRAC players.   They have seen the error of their ways, all the new players are MTP devices, and work like regular USB devices, without the need for any 3rd party (and usually crap) Sony software to load music.   However the boat left 4 years ago with Sony left behind..

I recently bought a Sony car radio with a USB connection on it (jn the Argos sale), it had "Compatible with Walkman" on the box, and the website said it was compatible with my NW-A729 (the same as yours, without the Bluetooth).   Guess what, when you connect it up, it's not actually compatible, it only lists the first 256 folders, so my music collection stops at "M".   Turns out it's compatible with the OLD ATRAC walkmans, but not the new ones.

Contacted Sony, and they confirmed that when it says "Compatible with Walkman", it does not mean it's compatible with ALL Walkmans...   Total joke.... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,062 Views)
0 Kudos