16 Dec 2009

Playstation Staff

Playstation 3 Slim - gets "no signal" with HDMI connected to my Samsung LE40B535

14 Replies 11,272 Views Created 16-12-2009

I have searched the web back and forth after a solution to this problem. Hope someone can help me with this one.

Bought my PS3 Slim (250GB) on the Duty Free in Doha (Qatar, Asia).

Also bought a HDMI cable to go with in some electronics store down there.

Tested it on an LG TV in Doha and everything worked just fine.

After I got back to Norway i plugged everything up to my Samsung LE40B535 and I just get the message "no signal" on my TV.

I have tried the following (without getting it to work):

- To test the HDMI cable I plugged it into my laptop and on my TV, and it works just fine.

- I have tried to hold down the powerbutton and wait for two beeps to reset the display-settings.

- I have tried to change the display settings in the PS3 menu to use HDMI output.

- I have tested every HDMI input on my TV.

- I have tried resetting my PS3 deleting everything.

I found a review on a norwegian site of my Samsung TV where they even try it with the PS3 and it works so I know that my TV is compatible to run PS3.

My guess is that the error is in one of the following:

- The firmware of my TV?

- NTSC vs. PAL thingy?

I can't think of anything else... please help! :Smile:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (11,272 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation 3 Slim - gets "no signal" with HDMI connected to my Samsung LE40B535

Sounds like the tv to me dude , take the tv back to where you got it .

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (11,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation 3 Slim - gets "no signal" with HDMI connected to my Samsung LE40B535

Probably the FW of your TV, can you update it? You can also try the 'handshake' by turning off/on the TV while the PS3 is on. Also, as dumb as it sounds, how many HDMI ports does the TV have? Have you selected the right one?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (11,239 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

your not alone avonhalo, i get kinda the same issue with my slim and my LE40M86 but i get a signal for around a few minutes then it switches my tv off then back on again and keeps doing that. i thought that waiting for the ps3 firmware updates may fix the issue but i still get it now. the only way i get around it is by setting my tv to 1080i and set the blu ray setting so that i get blu ray in 1080p 24hz but games in 1080i. its the only way i can get it to work, i've also looked online for a solution but the only piece of information i found was the slim has stricter handshaking as it has a different hdmi board to the phat ps3's and its up to sony to reduce the restrictions as and when they want to basically
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (11,214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

m03nn400 wrote:
your not alone avonhalo, i get kinda the same issue with my slim and my LE40M86 but i get a signal for around a few minutes then it switches my tv off then back on again and keeps doing that. i thought that waiting for the ps3 firmware updates may fix the issue but i still get it now. the only way i get around it is by setting my tv to 1080i and set the blu ray setting so that i get blu ray in 1080p 24hz but games in 1080i. its the only way i can get it to work, i've also looked online for a solution but the only piece of information i found was the slim has stricter handshaking as it has a different hdmi board to the phat ps3's and its up to sony to reduce the restrictions as and when they want to basically

I got the same hdtv. I have yet to try the slim on it but have no problems with the original PS3. As you said that the slim PS3 has a different HDMI board causing the problem, it should not be the case. Sony should have enable the slim to work on all hdtv like the original ps3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (11,205 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i had a phat ps3 before my slim rider1 and it worked with no problems what so ever since launch. traded in for a slim and problems. it has something to do with tighter restrictions on the board that some tvs firmware has issues with hence why my sammi dont work with it, i can find the post if u wanna read through it. it was from the american forums i think
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (11,230 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I had that problem with our Samsung TV, I read up about it on the AV forums and it apparently cause by a HANDSHAKE issue, But If you turn the TV&PS3  off at the mains for several minutes im confident  it will rectify itself. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (11,223 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i have noticed it dont do it half as much as it used to tho. when i first got my slim it was switching off like every 30 seconds or so but just testing it now it stays on for around 10 minutes or so before doing it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (11,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ok so i've switched off the ps3 and tv by the mains for 10 minutes, put it back on. played on 1080p for about 5 minutes then the same thing again, may just put it back on 1080i again
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (11,207 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for all yout responses guys...

I tried upgrading my TV's firmware to the newest but no luck with that.

XxCREESHxX - What do you mean "turn off the mains for several minutes" ? Like switch off the ps3 and tv for a while and then turning them back on?

I still get no signal whatsoever. Not even a second of screen time.

Seems like there is no solution to this...so basically this means that I have to either get a new TV or sell my *****ing slim ps3?? Ahhh...this sucks.

Anyone got any more suggestions please share... :xLol:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (11,171 Views)
0 Kudos