PS3 General

PS3 General

10 Aug 2009
By: langersbcn Member 60 Posts
Level 1

Playstation 3 beeps and dead. Wont turn on. Help Please....Not YLOD

26 Replies 47726 Views Created 10-08-2009

Hello,

Well, you think it will never happen to you, but last night during an online game of COD4, my PS3 60GB (got release day) went wierd and shut itself down. When I went to turn it on it started up for about two seconds, beeped 3 times and turned itself off (red light flashing). This happened everytime i turned it on (manually as well, I can not turn it on via the controller)

I left it off and unplugged overnight to see if that may help, when I turned it on this morning and it stayed on for about a minute before doing the same (3 beeps and shut down with flashing red light). I turned it on again and it lasted for about 20 seconds before doing the same (I did manage to eject the disc which is a small bonus). Anyway, it wont stay on and when I do turn it on I get no picture or sound so it does not seem to be transmitting a signal. I also should add that I live in Spain, so it could be due to overheating, the fan does do overtime during the summer months.

Is there anyway to reset/reboot before I call Sony Spain (which I really dont want to do). Also, I am unemployed and dont have 150 euros to get this fixed. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, also, has anyone come across this problem before, it's not YLOD so I dont know if it is 100% bricked or not.

Thanks in Advance

Langersbcn

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (47,726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Playstation 3 beeps and dead. Wont turn on. Help Please....Not YLOD

I'm afraid that is YLOD. The 'yellow' part is a very brief flash before you get the blinking red light, very easy to miss. Other than the refurb cost, you've only got a couple of options:

1. Fix it yourself. The 'gilksy' fix on youtube explains how, with variable results. Some last, some die again very quickly.

2. 3rd party repair, I'm sure there's an equivalent of consoledoctor.co.uk for the Spanish market if you look. Should be much cheaper than the refurb option.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (47,659 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I have a guy near me who seems to do repairs, I shall go and see him shortly.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (47,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

Console Doctor- Sony Playstation 3 PS3 repairs, Faults Page_1249889617044.png

Telephone:
Newcastle: +44 (0)1912763048
The best time to call is between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Queries outside the time specified should be made via email using the form above.

Message Edited by TheTaxMan on 10-08-2009 08:37 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (47,648 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Cheers,

It is good to see the pricing so I know what I am looking at.

Thanks mate

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (47,637 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

rancidpunk wrote:

1. Fix it yourself. The 'gilksy' fix on youtube explains how, with variable results. Some last, some die again very quickly.

While it looks easy to do it, it's really not. For getting a proper result you need to pay attention to what happens on the board when doing it, heat up until you can see the solder "float" a bit (where possible). Unless you like lottery-style fixing, flux should be used to make sure the solderings don't oxidize unnecessarily.

If you don't do it properly, you're gonna have to do it again. Ofcourse, luck can make even the sloppiest fix last, but I wouldn't count on it. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by time travelling space smurfs on 2028-03-22 07:49 PM

Facts of the moment:
"My PS3 is not fat, it's just big boned."
"The console war is as real as the war on terrorism."
"The wizards first rule applies to both YLOD and the SLIM."

"Tons of trophies doesn't say you're a great gamer, it says you have too much free time."

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (47,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Well mine bricked on Monday, i just sent it of to http://www.consoledoctor.co.uk today.

It stayed on for about a minuite before shuttingdown, but after time of trying to get it to last for more then that, it became a YLOD.

Youtube YLOD fixs apparently work, that's the cheapest way tho.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (47,576 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Yeah, I have seen the fixes on You Tube, but I dont have the equipment and everytime I do something myself I seem to make it worse. I will see what some local shops can do, if not, then back to Sony for an expensive re-fit.

Thanks guys.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (47,626 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Whilst Gilksys video on Youtube desrves 5 stars for his walk through, he does not spend half as long reflowing the PS3 as he should do and he does not heat the board up as fully as he should either, leading to inevitable system breakdown again. Those wondering, Heat gun (aka Paint stripper gun) B&Q £15.99, Antec Silver Thermal Paste (The best) from MAPLINS £9.99. My advice would be follow his instructions up until reflow, then follow this guys instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU
Alan Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (47,587 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

3 beeps is overheating

put it in the freezer :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (47,576 Views)
0 Kudos